Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bishop Brossart 09-10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This Thread Is About Bishop Brossart...What Do They Need To Do To Win, What Do They Need To Improve On For This Season, Any Thoughts Or Predictions About The Mustangs,Remember PLEASE BE CONSTRUCTIVE!!!:thanks:
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...911280372/

Jacob Rieger last season led the Bishop Brossart basketball team in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocked shots - as a junior

"Asking me what I like about Jake is like asking me what I like about winning the lottery," Mustangs coach Mike Code said. "Sometimes great players take the easy way out and you have to push them. I've never had to push Jacob Rieger. He's a self-starting kid."

Rieger is a threat to reach 1,000 career points this season. But there was a time early in his varsity career when he was collecting little more than floor burns.

"I didn't really start off that great," said Rieger. "I had to work at it."

Code remembers when his star player turned the corner and transformed from gym rat to game-changer.

It was during Rieger's sophomore season. The Mustangs were playing in an All "A" Classic regional final against St. Patrick, which had beaten Brossart twice.

"He scored 10 straight points in three minutes and he had three rebounds and a steal, and I remember looking at the coaches and saying, 'The light bulb just went on,' " Code said. "We wound up beating them because Jake was so strong. That's when I started thinking he wasn't just a good player, he could dominate."

Rieger felt himself fall into a comfort zone that day against St. Patrick.

"It was one of the first big games I had and it really boosted my confidence," Rieger said. "I felt like I was ready to play at the varsity level."

Rieger knew the only way he could maintain such a high level of play for 32 minutes was to work even harder on days the Mustangs did not play.

Soon, Rieger was dominating practices.

"Everything he did got better," Code said. "And despite the fact he's an awfully good player, he's a total team guy. He doesn't care if he scores 4 or 14. If we win, he's happy."

The bigger the stage, the better Rieger played last season.

He scored 21 points or more in four of Brossart's final seven games, including a 12-for-19 shooting performance and 25 points in a loss to Scott in the district final. He averaged 17 points in two games against regional champion Mason County. He had 14 points and a season-high 14 rebounds in the All "A" regional final.

"I think being on the bench as a freshman and watching how guys handled the pressure of playing in the All 'A' and the district and the regional showed me how to play," said Rieger, who was the Mustangs' eighth man on the 2007 All "A" Classic state championship team. "After watching the older guys, I thought it was a good idea to do everything right."

Another key for Rieger was working extra hours on his shooting. He made 50.6 percent of his shots last season after self-imposed solo shooting sessions in the gym following losses or poor shooting performances.

Rieger averaged 15.3 points per game last season.

"He turned shooting from a weakness into a strength," Code said. "He improved his game as much as I've seen a great player improve in one year."

The best thing about Rieger's attitude toward practice, the coach said, is the emulation factor.

Not only is Code counting on Rieger to help put Brossart over the top against district rivals Scott and Campbell County, the coach is hoping for Rieger-like hustle from everybody else.

"You give him any job and you know it's going to get done," Code said.
Rieger will be a force in the 10th Region for sure. He has a tireless work ethic and will blossom into a nice college prospect. If the Stangs can play tough defense like they normally do and shoot FT's well they could make a nice run in the District.

They have a nice sophomore class coming up and future prospect in Frosh Justin Saunders. I am not familiar with the Jr class but they always seem to turn out nice groups of players.
Bishop Brossart
Coach: Mike Code (98-46)

Last season: 18-10

Key players: Senior guard Jacob Rieger, senior guard Jordan Armstrong, senior guard Justin Morscher

Outlook: Code said this season will not be the "Rieger Show," and the team's talent backs him up.

Armstrong (7.2 ppg) "is the best defender I've ever coached, and he makes his free throws," Code said. "Justin Morscher was basically our sixth man, and he's ready. Defensively, we'll be pretty solid. And team intelligence is a strength."

The Mustangs are a little small, so they need to hustle, get in position and box out, according to Code, who needs two wins to reach 100.

NKY.com