Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 35th District Tidbits from Ryan Ernst
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ryan Ernst blog:

Since I was assigned the 35th District for the Enquirer’s basketball preview, I swung by Covington Catholic and Holmes yesterday to do some interviews and watch some ball. Here are some tidbits:

-CovCath senior center Trevor Wellbrock has been in the weight room. He’s listed at 6-5 and 220 pounds and he looks every bit of it. Big, solid kid. It should be fun to see him mix it up in the post with …

-Holmes senior center/forward Elijah Pittman, who reports that he’s grown another inch and is now 6-8 and 205. -

-Speaking of Pittman, he’s got a Louie Armstrong pitch to his voice that I’ve never heard come out of a high school kid. He’s like a stretched-out Barry White. And yes, I’m a little jealous of that.

-Still speaking of Pittman, I thought this quote from Holmes coach David Henley was telling: “When Elijah’s focused and playing with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder,” he said, ”he dominates our practice.”

-Although they’re not on the varsity roster, CovCath has a couple freshmen to watch for: Nick Frederick (son of former Notre Dame standout Joe Frederick) and Cameron Murphy (son of CovCath assistant Kes Murphy and nephew of former Newport star Donna Murphy).

-There are plenty of new additions in Evans Fieldhouse. Holmes has a new floor, with a new design featuring a large H at midcourt. The outside of the building is adorned with a state championship banner; there’s a similar one on an enterior wall of the gym. The state championship banner the team brought home from Rupp Arena hangs in the rafters. Henley said the school’s woodshop teacher is building a large trophy case that will house the state championship trophy, as well as the Bulldogs’ state runner-up trophies.

-Holmes senior Ricardo Johnson, on signing with Ohio: “My heart just told me it was time and that’s where I should be. At first I planned on signing in the second signing period. But I just went with my heart.”

-The Holmes players seem to have enjoyed the summer of celebrity that came with winning state last year. “People congratulate us and recognize us a lot, and not just around the neighborhood; it happens all over Northern Kentucky,” said Johnson. “I was at BW3, just hanging out, and a family came up to me because their son wanted to talk to me. That’s pretty cool.”
Link