Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County 2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
With the bears season ending recently, how do you think they will do next season. After losing QB/RB Tj Green, and a few linemen, the Bears may not have to rebuild as much as they think. With RBs Taylor, and Mcmillian, and Sophmore QB Brewer, and Freshmen Lewis and Maggard, and a Great upcomig class of 8th graders, the Bears may be hungry to bring a great season to us.
The Lewis kid is going to be a monster! He has three more years to build up to greatness. as far as predicting them they will still be a little young it sounds. However they do return some key players so they should be alright! Still as crazy as the district is we can never know what lay ahead. It was one epic year for the Blackbears and they can hold there heads high! we will start to see a bit of what next year holds in store come late summer..
Each year goes by they will get better and better!!!!!
HC returns 8 starters on defense. They lose one LB, one DE and one DL. If Dylon Smith can return after this full year off then that would be like having 9 starters back. If their FS, Eric Miller were to return after moving to Hazard in mid year, that that would be 10 people who have started at one point or another on the defensive side of the ball. One Corner was a freshman, one was a sophomore, strong safety was a sophomore, free safety a sophomore, DE a junior, Nose and DT were juniors, MLB was a freshman so they should be solid on defense for the next couple of years. Offensively, HC will have to find a way to replace both FB's, QB, RG, RT, and a part time TE. Everyone else is back. The seniors will be missed tremendously, but There are some players waiting in the wings.
I believe Brewer will step right in at QB, if not Maggard is waiting! Both have turned into decent WR's and DB's! Jordan Calton or Tucker Lewis can fill that TE spot among others. I don't know a lot about the O-line but another full offseason of Larkey's conditioning will have them strong so I'm not really worried. The D will be our strength I believe we have the players to replace the Seniors though. It will be hard to replace TJ's fire, guts, and leadership, I'm hoping he has rubbed off on some guys these past two years. If McMillan and Taylor get stronger watch out! If Dylon Smith returns that would be a big shot in the arm.

Counting the days!!! Go Bears!!!
The Black Bears will be fine. I am anxious to see how many, that mostly stood on the sidelines, have realized the need to improve their work ethic in order to get out on the field. There is much potential that stood on the sidelines, those without full commitment and work ethic in heart. Many could have contributed and prevented some from having to play on both sides of the ball. There is a great amount of potential coming out of the 8th grade and some of those with the right work ethic may see some playing time,"IF" again they are committed and work at it. Big talent coming from the 8th grade class, lots of skill, size, and speed. The future looks bright for the Bears. As for the QB position, the way I see it, Brewer and Maggard will be neck and neck. The 8th grader at Cumberland could provide some future talent in this position as well, he has a strong accurate arm. You never know?? I see a better passing game in the future coming up the ranks, beginning next year and better every year. These young QBs need to get to work. McMillan and Taylor will get stronger and will carry their load. I think both were just getting a taste of it this year and will explode next year. I expect you could see the Lewis kid at FB busting some and Jordan Calton at the End too? The defense will be tough again and will be the key, of course, to their success. The young Scottie Bailey and Trevon Long from Cumberland have some skill and great hands and will be assets as well. There are some good sized strong young linemen coming from the 8th as well. If they get to work??? If DJ Brock and Mike Smith get committed they will fill some positions on the line. The defense was very tough this year, even the pass coverage got better. It won't do anything but get stronger. I expect the speed and strength , of course, to be the main theme in the offseason. Larkey and Staff have done a great job and they will provide a team next year that will win and provide some excitement. The Black Bears proved their potential in Class 5A this year. I expect the Bears to do a better job holding on to the ball(keep away) rather than fumbling (hot potato) next time they play Letcher. Can't wait to see my Black Bears play again. Black Bear Football, gotta love it!!!! GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!
The Black Bears will be ready for a shot at Regionals next year indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont worry you all will get better and better cant wait to see you guys next year
Coach traditionally doesn't like to start freshman, the first year he kind of had to let the upper classmen play due to the fact it was needed with a new school. Last spring he said everything was up for grabs and I expect it to be the same until he builds our program up some. He was a man of his word I can think of three freshmen that started this year. I think the only position we may never see a freshman start is QB. Coach likes his field general to have experience, if not Jordy would have been starting this year. Brewer has an extra year of working in the system and with Coach Creech under his helmet, but don't count Maggard out he has a lot of skill and if you have never seen him throw the ball he has very strong arm. He just needs to work on mechanics and QB/field knowledge. I look for Brewer to start, Maggard to wait his turn with JV. I think we will be satisfied with ever one!
Any truth to the rumor that Larkey is going to North Laurel to coach with his son?
Larkey will be at HC.
rayboy55 Wrote:any truth to the rumor that larkey is going to north laurel to coach with his son?

none!
Heard Coach on the last radio show of the year Friday night and he seemed very excited about what he has coming from the Harlan County Middle Schools! I look for some to earn their way into some sort of varsity role next year.
I can't wait to see the bears and bobcats play again next year that was a good game. Hopefully you all will see a regional title next year. Good Luck!
New Harlan always produced good players. Just like Letcher Middle. Will be a rivalry for years to come.
There are some nice players from Cumberland Middle and Evarts Elementary coming in as well. Some freshmen could see some serious playing time. They started three last season and several others played on some special teams.
Special teams always help kids.
Bobcatsalltheway Wrote:I can't wait to see the bears and bobcats play again next year that was a good game. Hopefully you all will see a regional title next year. Good Luck!

No offense, but I must've left halfway through the third quarter of a different game than the one you are talking about. Haha. I do hope Harlan County and Bell County continue to play and someday HC can turn it into a rivalry, rather than an annual beatdown.
Harlan County will get better, they had REALLY good sized kids and it seemed to have talent as well. With a coach like Larkey, and the number of kids they have there, their destined to have a good team eventually. I think its all a matter of the schools being consolidated and the kids getting use to each other and coming together to play and trust each other. Change makes a HUGE difference in this situation.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:No offense, but I must've left halfway through the third quarter of a different game than the one you are talking about. Haha. I do hope Harlan County and Bell County continue to play and someday HC can turn it into a rivalry, rather than an annual beatdown.

You have little faith grasshopper! I disagree that the Bears have to win one for it to be a rivalry. It was a rivalry when the schedule came out. Harlan and Bell fans alike circled and were excited about Oct. 30th.
I'm looking for Ursus americanus! Does anyone know where that's at?
They will get better! Trust me!
Patriot Wrote:You have little faith grasshopper! I disagree that the Bears have to win one for it to be a rivalry. It was a rivalry when the schedule came out. Harlan and Bell fans alike circled and were excited about Oct. 30th.

I have all the faith in the world, but facts are facts. I heard Coach Larkey on the radio on Friday saying pretty much what I said in a nut shell. Thats what I was basing my post on. Sure people will look at it as a rivalry if HC never wins, but in order for it to be legit HC will have to win eventually. Thats what makes a good rivalry.
I agree BloodyHarlan Vol, and next year the Black Bears will give Bell a battle for it, followed by years of Harlan County on top. Nevertheless, the Bears will swing things in their favor against Bell sooner than you think. This will be a huge rivalry, but I think the LetcherCC-Harlan County matchup will be even bigger. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!
I hope our returning linemen and those that will try to replace what we lost will work hard this offseason. Someone made the remark of how the Fugate kid has struggled a little this year without a strong line.
I think they will work extremely hard, Patriot. The Bears had many linemen in and out filling in all year long while some had injuries. The line should be fine. All Black Bears need to get to work. In Harlan County, Black Bears don't hibernate. Larkey and staff will provide the workouts and the players know what hard work in the offseason provides when it's game time. The Bears will be working hard on the speed and agility this winter from what I've heard. Get committed Black Bears. Although they were tough, I'm expecting a meaner and nastier Filthy Animal Defense next year and I don't think I will be disappointed. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!
At the end of spring practice Coach said okay I've got them stronger now I have to make them faster! I've always heard you can't teach speed, but I have always disagreed with that! You can't teach Dylon Smith speed, but you can shed a few pounds, build a little muscle, and work on agility and become faster. I believe our Filthy Animals will be fine! Our offense will need a little fine tuning and another weapon or so to develop.
I thought I'd bump this one to the top. It won't be long now until Spring practice. Can't wait to get an early preview of what we will have next season. The weight program seems to be working despite the poor weather. I'm impressed with the Bears dedication even on these snow days. Good things are going to happen for them this Fall. Can't wait!
I think the Bears will get one step closer this year...win the region before losing to Highlands.
Patriot Wrote:I believe Brewer will step right in at QB, if not Maggard is waiting! Both have turned into decent WR's and DB's! Jordan Calton or Tucker Lewis can fill that TE spot among others. I don't know a lot about the O-line but another full offseason of Larkey's conditioning will have them strong so I'm not really worried. The D will be our strength I believe we have the players to replace the Seniors though. It will be hard to replace TJ's fire, guts, and leadership, I'm hoping he has rubbed off on some guys these past two years. If McMillan and Taylor get stronger watch out! If Dylon Smith returns that would be a big shot in the arm.

Counting the days!!! Go Bears!!!

Jenkins is a fine QB and will have his chances as a freshman. Freshman must have a great attitude and not get too anxious. The 3 that started in 09 had to prove themselves several times over.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6