Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 1st Annual 15th region middle school tourney pairings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Saturday Dec 5th - Friday Dec 11th @ East Ky . Expo Center

Saturday Dec 5th
Johnson Central vs. Adams

Bye- South Floyd

Allen Central vs. Betsy Layne

Bye-Mullins

Dorton vs. Martin County

Bye- Feds Creek

Virgie vs. Pikeville

Bye- Lawrence County
Sounds like a fun tourney. Kids will have a blast playing @ the expo center.
What a great experience for these young men , with all the great basketball , being played in our area, it must have the b-ball junkies going wild !!!!! Good luck to all the teams .........
I know my team is extremely excited about playing at the Expo. I don't think anyone realizes how much that floor will change the game though. We'll definitely see some tongues hanging out by the end of each game.

The tournament bracket looks really balanced. With JC, BL, FC, and Virgie in different parts of the bracket, the favorites are spaced out well. There are several others capable of making it far in this tournament though.
Who's hosting this tournament
I bet Coach Newsome at Wesley would have liked to give his boys a chance to get an experience like this. I mean playing at the Expo Center.
Wouldn't really call it the 15th region middle school tourney when every team in the region didn't get a chance to participate. Don't mean to sound negative.
This is a good deal i've thought about this ever since the expo center opened.
Good luck to all the teams participating. Would liked to have seen the Riders in this.
MCACoach Wrote:Who's hosting this tournament
I bet Coach Newsome at Wesley would have liked to give his boys a chance to get an experience like this. I mean playing at the Expo Center.
Wouldn't really call it the 15th region middle school tourney when every team in the region didn't get a chance to participate. Don't mean to sound negative.
This is a good deal i've thought about this ever since the expo center opened.
Good luck to all the teams participating. Would liked to have seen the Riders in this.

Pikeville basketball boosters are hosting the tournament. Bart Williams is who contacted the teams about playing. Supposedly all teams in the 15th region were contacted, but it sounds like Wesley wasn't.
I cant imagine anyone would want to pass this opportunity up. Unless there already at there limit for games, or have something scheduled already.
Reanimate Wrote:I cant imagine anyone would want to pass this opportunity up. Unless there already at there limit for games, or have something scheduled already.

I agree. This may be the only time these boys get a chance to play in the Expo while they're in grade school. Should be a great experience for them.
Its a shame this couldnt have been a even bigger tourney!
Allen would have liked to played, but we are in the Pikeville College Tournament the same week.
Eagle42 Wrote:Allen would have liked to played, but we are in the Pikeville College Tournament the same week.

So are we, if the schedule doesn't conflict.
There are some excellent teams in the 15th this year, should be an exciting tourney!
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:So are we, if the schedule doesn't conflict.

I don't understand why they would have both of these tourneys at the same time.
MR. Slate Wrote:I don't understand why they would have both of these tourneys at the same time.

Pikeville College has always had their tourney around the 1st or 2nd week in Dec.
NEXT Wrote:Pikeville College has always had their tourney around the 1st or 2nd week in Dec.

i wish they were in different weeks. Its hard to turn down the oppurtunity to let the kids play in the Expo Center.
MR. Slate Wrote:i wish they were in different weeks. Its hard to turn down the oppurtunity to let the kids play in the Expo Center.

Exactly what I said. We have played in the PC tournament for over 15 years and I hated not to this year, but you can't pass on the Expo either.
what are the times and dates for the rest of the tournament
Who do you all think will win this one?
Great tourney
allKentucky Wrote:Who do you all think will win this one?

JC or Virgie
I think FC will win
I would have to say Johnson County is the favorite to win this tournament.
After talking to a few people who watched the Betsy Layne vs Johnson Central game, I do not believe Johnson Central is this unbeatable team we have heard all about. Betsy Layne was trailing by 1 going into the last minute of the game, free throws pushed it out to the lead it became. But before people say Betsy Layne just played there butts off, realized that Dylan Hamilton did not play the second quarter at all due to foul trouble, and finished the game with 4 fouls. Johnson Central is big and have talent but I believe they will not win the Betsy Layne Classic and I believe they will have a lot harder time winning the 15th region tournament then people believe. Lets face it, our region is very top heavy right now in grade school.
bball_fan Wrote:After talking to a few people who watched the Betsy Layne vs Johnson Central game, I do not believe Johnson Central is this unbeatable team we have heard all about. Betsy Layne was trailing by 1 going into the last minute of the game, free throws pushed it out to the lead it became. But before people say Betsy Layne just played there butts off, realized that Dylan Hamilton did not play the second quarter at all due to foul trouble, and finished the game with 4 fouls. Johnson Central is big and have talent but I believe they will not win the Betsy Layne Classic and I believe they will have a lot harder time winning the 15th region tournament then people believe. Lets face it, our region is very top heavy right now in grade school.

I won't say Johnson Central is unbeatable, but I think they are 5-10 points better than the next best team on a given night. They were missing their point guard against Betsy Layne. Either way, I think any coach would love to coach the talent these two teams have.
Johnson Central has got to be the favorite in the tourney. Can they be beaten? Absolutely! It will take a great effort to beat them though.
Of course JC is beatable. I am die hard fan and would never say that we couldn't be beat. I am sure BL left the game thinking they should have won. If I was a BL fan I would think that. But, that was our 2nd game with no scrimmages this year and without our point guard. So we will get better just as the other teams will. I know Hamilton wasn't 100% that game but neither where we. I thought it was Case that was in foul trouble in the 2nd quarter and do not remember Hamilton coming out of the game. But I could be wrong. We have a tough schedule this year and will probably lose some games. Either way, there are a few teams capable of beating JC and we scheduled as many of them as we could. The next best thing to winning is losing, the other option is not trying. We have schedule BL, Hazard, Virgie, Fleming Co., Mason Co. Add the tourny at BL, the Expo Center and Frankfort and the state tournament there will be losses.
Im suprised too see Feds Creek in this rather then the traditional power Elkhorn City.
What do you mean suprised to see FC in it rather than EC. Let me tell you one thing sweetie--maybe you need to come watch a real game. FC RULES THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the passion of Viking Mom!! I don't think the gentleman meant any disrespect toward Feds Creek with his post. Its true the Vikings have surprised people this year. Everyone expected them to have a nice team this year, but they certainly have proven themselves to be a contender. I am very impressed with a lot of teams in the area! Very exciting time for basketball in the 15th region!!!
I guess Johnson Co. isn't overrated anymore. Not even in the top 7 in Eastern Ky according to 15th region roundup.

Result from Dorton's tourn. - Dorton wins and the semis set up below: These are 4 of the best teams in Eastern Ky in the semi's. Throw in Virgie, BL, and Adams ; and you are looking at the top 7 teams in EKy. in my opinion.

That sets up the following semifinal matchups tomorrow night:

6:00 Dorton vs Herald Whitaker

7:15 Hazard vs Feds Creek
Pages: 1 2