Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: LeBron wants all players to surrender 23
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saying he is willing to initiate the movement, LeBron James would like to see any NBA player who wears No. 23 to choose another number as homage to Michael Jordan.

With Jordan looking on from a third-row seat Thursday night, James scored 34 points to help the Cleveland Cavaliers beat the Heat 111-104 in Miami. Afterward, the reigning MVP told TNT he plans to switch his number from 23 to 6 after this season.

"I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized some way soon," James said. "There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade if there wasn't Michael Jordan first.

"He can't get the logo [Hall of Famer Jerry West's silhouette adorns the NBA's logo], and if he can't, something has to be done. I feel like no NBA player should wear 23. I'm starting a petition, and I've got to get everyone in the NBA to sign it. Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it."

This guy truly is great with the media. But i think its a great gesture. What do u guys think. If the greatest player in this decade to wear the number 23 is willing to give it up then why wouldnt everyone else. Except jodie meeks of course.
i think they should give it up and honor Jordan
I like his thinking, not many people would give there number up!
It would be a great gesture, and a way to honor the greatest player to ever play the game !!!!!
I think it's flat out ignorant what Lebron spewed, and I am a huge fan of Lebron's?

Michael Jordan? I love MJ, I think he is the greatest player of my time, but retire his jersey from the NBA? What a mockery. What did MJ do for social good? Why should his jersey get retired over the all-time leading scorer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? Kareem's stats are better! Has as many championships! Kareem has dedicated his post NBA career for doing good for those in need. Those who have social disorders. Has MJ done that?

This Lebron comment is just stupid: "I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized some way soon," James said. "There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade if there wasn't Michael Jordan first."

There would have been no MJ had it not been for Magic and Bird. These two save basketball, not MJ. MJ was the recipient of what they did. Ask him, he has said it in every book that has ever been written about him. Magic and Bird took basketball that was being played in front of crowds no larger than High School games, played at 11:30 at night (anyone remember the NBA Finals played as a reply after the 11:00 PM news in the 70's and 80's). Magic and Bird transformed basketball, not MJ.

What has MJ done over Bill Russell? Big Bill won more championships than anyone ever in the game. He is the one who changed the social acceptance of Blacks in the NBA. Did MJ do anything for his race? He has never once spoken about it, or taken a position about it. Russell has been the voice that brought an acceptance in the 60's to blacks in the sport. Not MJ in the 90's!

Is MJ a Jackie Robinson or Curt Flood for what they did in Baseball?

C'mon, MJ's Jersey retired, PLEASE!
I thought it was a good idea, but after reading what you wrote stardust, you make several great points! I can see you put a lot of thought into this subject, which I dint not before I made a comment! Great Job Stardust
TY - My points were directed at the comments made by Lebron. He IMO, is wayyyy off on this one.
Stardust Wrote:TY - My points were directed at the comments made by Lebron. He IMO, is wayyyy off on this one.

I agree with everything your saying, maybe make him the NBA logo?
Nice post Star, I personally dont ever see it happening anyway.
Listen I love Jordan. He was my favorite player and is the best all time but he was a prick. Let the Bulls retire his number within their organization but the rest of the NBA, NO... I mean did anyone watch his Hall of Fame speech. He was still acting like a prick then.
I completely agree with stardust on this one
I agree with Stardust to a point , but I dont think Lebron was talking about race , I think he was talking about what he brought to the game ! Earl Lloyd,
Chuck,Cooper, Nat "sweet water" Clifton, were the first African American players in the NBA, Nat Clifton was the first to sign a NBA contract, and make the team, Lloyd was the first to play in a NBA game, so in all reality these guys broke the color bearrier! I dont think the game that we see today ,would be the same if we hadn't had Jordan, and I think that's what Lebron was talking about, that's the way I took it, these guys respect Jordan, and I think that would be a great way to show respect to the Greatest to ever play the game!!! Stardust I respect your opinions, and in no way trying to disrespect you my friend, just thought I would throw my opinion out there, much respect to ya !!!!!!
My point is not about race either. My point is that there should be no players number retired sport wide unless they did something that was monumental to the sport and to soceity. Jackie Robinson deserved to have his number retired Baseball wide. MJ did no such thing to warrant such an honor.:Thumbs:
great idea but im not seeing it happen
I think that retiring his jersey peiod from every team is ignorant. I'll give him credit. He was good and arguably the best there was. But a league wide band on his jersey? I cant see many teams agreeing with this. I'd say the day they band #23 from the league, is the day Micheal Jordan becomes commisioner of the NBA.
Overrated isn't even going to comment on this mess.
So, Jordan should be punished, because he wasn't born earlier?

Yeah, Russell won more championships, but look back to who was on his team.

They don't retire your number, because you spotted a homeless guy, on the street in New York $20, do they?

It's what you do on the court.

I mean come on, Who is the greatest of all-time? That's right, Michael Jordan.

You don't hear anyone saying, man he could be the next Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain or the next Bill Russell or even the next Kareem Abdul Jabbar, do you?....No, you don't.

Jackie Robinson did break the color barrier, but is he the greatest baseball player of all-time?, NO.

Fact of the matter is, Jordan had nothing to do with when he was born. Didn't have a say so in what was done before him. He didn't create the earth, nor life. But, one thing he did have control over, is being the best player to ever lace em' up.
Stardust Wrote:I think it's flat out ignorant what Lebron spewed, and I am a huge fan of Lebron's?

Michael Jordan? I love MJ, I think he is the greatest player of my time, but retire his jersey from the NBA? What a mockery. What did MJ do for social good? Why should his jersey get retired over the all-time leading scorer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? Kareem's stats are better! Has as many championships! Kareem has dedicated his post NBA career for doing good for those in need. Those who have social disorders. Has MJ done that?

This Lebron comment is just stupid: "I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized some way soon," James said. "There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade if there wasn't Michael Jordan first."

There would have been no MJ had it not been for Magic and Bird. These two save basketball, not MJ. MJ was the recipient of what they did. Ask him, he has said it in every book that has ever been written about him. Magic and Bird took basketball that was being played in front of crowds no larger than High School games, played at 11:30 at night (anyone remember the NBA Finals played as a reply after the 11:00 PM news in the 70's and 80's). Magic and Bird transformed basketball, not MJ.

What has MJ done over Bill Russell? Big Bill won more championships than anyone ever in the game. He is the one who changed the social acceptance of Blacks in the NBA. Did MJ do anything for his race? He has never once spoken about it, or taken a position about it. Russell has been the voice that brought an acceptance in the 60's to blacks in the sport. Not MJ in the 90's!

Kareem's stats are better?

Who played longer?

Yeah, Kareem should have more rebounds and blocks, heck he's what 7'2 or so. Other than that, for the time Jordan actually spent in the NBA, his stats are definitely better.

Would have been hard for Jordan to talk in the 60's. Since he wasn't born until 63' and I don't think anyone would have listened to him then. And as far as the race issue, it's not even close to the issue today, as it was back then.

That's like saying what Jordan did on the court wasn't enough. Just because he didn't help this old lady across the street that one day. Doesn't mean anything. I mean come on, Jordan may donate money and do various things that we never hear about or know about. We only know what we hear or see on TV. I'm sure there is much more that goes on behind closed doors, that we will never know about. Wasn't he a big apart of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America?

And because Jordan didn't voice his position on certain matters, means didly squat. Personal choice, he just wanted to play the game. No rule or standard that makes him less of a man, human being, or player, just because he didn't openly talk about it.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Kareem's stats are better?

Who played longer?

Yeah, Kareem should have more rebounds and blocks, heck he's what 7'2 or so. Other than that, for the time Jordan actually spent in the NBA, his stats are definitely better.

Would have been hard for Jordan to talk in the 60's. Since he wasn't born until 63' and I don't think anyone would have listened to him then. And as far as the race issue, it's not even close to the issue today, as it was back then.

That's like saying what Jordan did on the court wasn't enough. Just because he didn't help this old lady across the street that one day. Doesn't mean anything. I mean come on, Jordan may donate money and do various things that we never hear about or know about. We only know what we hear or see on TV. I'm sure there is much more that goes on behind closed doors, that we will never know about. Wasn't he a big apart of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America?

And because Jordan didn't voice his position on certain matters, means didly squat. Personal choice, he just wanted to play the game. No rule or standard that makes him less of a man, human being, or player, just because he didn't openly talk about it.

Thus, he does not deserve a league-wide retirement of his Jersey over these other guys.....
uhavenoidea Wrote:So, Jordan should be punished, because he wasn't born earlier?

Yeah, Russell won more championships, but look back to who was on his team.

They don't retire your number, because you spotted a homeless guy, on the street in New York $20, do they?

It's what you do on the court.

I mean come on, Who is the greatest of all-time? That's right, Michael Jordan.

You don't hear anyone saying, man he could be the next Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain or the next Bill Russell or even the next Kareem Abdul Jabbar, do you?....No, you don't.

Jackie Robinson did break the color barrier, but is he the greatest baseball player of all-time?, NO.

Fact of the matter is, Jordan had nothing to do with when he was born. Didn't have a say so in what was done before him. He didn't create the earth, nor life. But, one thing he did have control over, is being the best player to ever lace em' up.

So who did they say MJ would be the next of?????

10 years from now people will be comparing the young'ens to Kobe or Lebron, 20 years from now they wll be comparing them to someone else.

Does that mean every player who is the "great one" deserves to have their jersey retired league wide. Re-read the origination of this thread. Re-read my post, I said MJ is the greatest in my era. Doesn't mean he desreves a league wide retirement of his number. What did he do to deserve that? The only people who deserve that are those like a Jackie Robinson, not an MJ!
Stardust Wrote:So who did they say MJ would be the next of?????

10 years from now people will be comparing the young'ens to Kobe or Lebron, 20 years from now they wll be comparing them to someone else.

Does that mean every player who is the "great one" deserves to have their jersey retired league wide. Re-read the origination of this thread. Re-read my post, I said MJ is the greatest in my era. Doesn't mean he desreves a league wide retirement of his number. What did he do to deserve that? The only people who deserve that are those like a Jackie Robinson, not an MJ!

I don't remember them comparing him to anyone. He was MVP in his 3rd year in the league at the age of 24, if I'm not mistaken, just like Lebron.

They won't be comparing anyone to Kobe or Lebron, unless their the Greatest of all time and surpass Jordan.

There is only one, that is tabbed as the "Great One", hence one. And that is MJ.

What did Michael Jordan do to deserve such an honor?:thatsfunn...Are you serious?

Jackie Robinson, deserves something of this nature, because he was the first african-american in the MLB, before Jordan was even born?

Erect a statue of Robinson. He didn't deserve his number retired league-wide.

He's not even top 10 players of all-time in baseball.

But, that's besides the point.

What does Jordan deserve?
Being the greatest isnt always based on stats. Dale Earnhardt is the greatest nascar driver of all time and no one argues that based on others winning more races. The number 3 was basically retired from nascar, the only driver who could bring it back is his son (and truthfully he doesnt deserve it either).

However I dont feel Jordan deserves his number retired league wide. Many others have done just as much and even more for the game. No one is trying to honor them. If Lebron wants to do it out of respect, thats great. But everyone else shouldnt be obligated to do the same.
I think that the NBA owes that to Michael Jordan and what he did for the game.
Stardust Wrote:I think it's flat out ignorant what Lebron spewed, and I am a huge fan of Lebron's?

leecoukfan Wrote:I think that the NBA owes that to Michael Jordan and what he did for the game.

Owe MJ what?????
Although MJ is my favorite player of all time, I agree with what he said, and Jalen Rose of ESPN said. They should retire the numbers of the players before him, like the Russellls, Magic, Dr J. Alcindor and Bird. Without those legendary players their isn't no Michael Jordan and so on. It was a very nice gesture, but I say retire those other numbers as well.