Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cold vs Flu vs H1N1 Flu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a spreadsheet that breaks down the signs and symptoms.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN COLD, SEASONAL FLU & H1N1 SYMPTOMS

SYMPTOM
COLD
SEASONAL FLU
H1N1
FEVER
Fever is rare with a cold.
Fever is common with the seasonal flu.
Fever is usually present with H1N1 in up to 80% of all flu cases. A temperature of 101°
COUGHING
A hacking, productive (mucus-producing) cough is often present with a cold.
A dry and hacking cough is often present with the seasonal flu.
A non-productive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with H1N1 (sometimes referred to as dry cough).*
ACHES
Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.
Moderate body aches are common with the seasonal flu.
Severe aches and pains are common with H1N1.*
STUFFY NOSE
Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week.
A runny nose is commonly present with the seasonal flu.
Stuffy nose is not commonly present with H1N1.
CHILLS
Chills are uncommon with a cold.
Chills are mild to moderate with the seasonal flu.
60% of people who have H1N1 experience chills.
TIREDNESS
Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.
Tiredness is moderate and more likely referred to as a lack of energy with the seasonal flu.
Tiredness is moderate to severe with H1N1.*
SNEEZING
Sneezing is commonly present with a cold
Sneezing is common present with the seasonal flu.
Sneezing is not common with H1N1.
SUDDEN SYMPTOMS
Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.
Symptons tend to develop over a few days and include flushed face, loss of appetite, dizziness and/or vomiting/nausea. Symptoms usually last 4-7 days, depending on the individual. Diarrhea is common.
H1N1 has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. H1N1 hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains. Symptoms usually last 4-7 days, depending on the individual. Diarrhea is common.
HEADACHE
A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.
A headache is fairly common with the seasonal flu.
A headache is very common with H1N1 and present in 80% of cases.*
SORE THROAT
Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.
Sore throat is commonly present with the seasonal flu.
Sore throat is not commonly present with H1N1.
CHEST DISCOMFORT
Chest discomfort is mild to moderate with a cold.
Chest discomfort is moderate with the seasonal flu. If it turns severe seek medical attention immediately!
Chest discomfort is often severe with H1N1.

PREVENTION TIPS:

ücough & sneeze into your elbow
üwash hands with soap and warm water for a minimum of 15 -20 seconds. Sing your ABC's or happy birthday to you
üuse hand sanitizer when soap & water are not available
üavoid touching eyes, nose or mouth without washing or using hand sanitizer first

My son's doctor in Cincinnatti said H1N1 is'nt as bad as the regular flu it just last longer and the cause of almost everyones death from it is bacterial pneumonia. Here in Ky they act like its the black plague.
king360 Wrote:My son's doctor in Cincinnatti said H1N1 is'nt as bad as the regular flu it just last longer and the cause of almost everyones death from it is bacterial pneumonia. Here in Ky they act like its the black plague.

Is it not "as bad" because it doesn't kill as many people as seasonal flu does?

The problem with H1N1 is that it's effecting younger people and killing younger, healthier people than the regular seasonal flu does. That's why people are freaking out about it.
I heard this last week.: To cure the swine flu.........apply oinkment
thank you doctor dawg
Rebel55 Wrote:I heard this last week.: To cure the swine flu.........apply oinkment

lol
I try to help as well. As for H1N1 the problem is if you have a respiratory problem already you are more likely to have additional problems. My two kids and wife all had it in the last month. Each of them were down for at least an entire week but all have asthma problems so it hit them pretty hard. My wife is actually still sick and had to return to the ER Sunday because after the flu was cleared up it cause her to get bronchitis and each of them still have a horrible cough and drainage. This is the fourth week that my wife has had the cough from this and can't seem to get the respiratory part cleared out even though she hadn't had any asthma problems since she was a child.