Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 09-10 Ashland Invitational Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
the Ashland Invitational Tournament is coming up soon and is sure to be a good tournament . This year Ashland hosts 2 preseason top ten teams, Christian Co. and Mason Co. also Cov. Cath. Bishop Brossart, East Cater, Johnson Central, Glasgow, and obviously, Ashland.

thoughts/ predictions?
Some random thoughts:

It will be good to get to see Cameron Hall play. Good kid, and he still has friends in this area.

Mason County is going to be solid (as usual). I would think that they would have to be the favorite going in.

East Carter will get a chance to show what they can do against some strong teams. I don't know what the rest of their schedule looks like, but if they can advance against the likes of Christian and/or Mason, then we'll know that they are even better than many might think.
This is a much improved field over recent years. It should be worth watching.
Does that mean that you will be buying a ticket to the AIT this year, Truth?
Squid Wrote:Does that mean that you will be buying a ticket to the AIT this year, Truth?

No. I will be out of town during the tournament. However, if I were here, I would probably build a fire, pour a nice dark Bacardi rum and Coke, and listen to Dicky Martin explain the event as it occurs. Dicky does an excellent job even if he is a bit biased. I realize it is a part of his job to be biased so that is no problem. It's all a part of the show and no one does it better than Dicky. He's a good man.
hamburgler606 Wrote:the Ashland Invitational Tournament is coming up soon and is sure to be a good tournament . This year Ashland hosts 2 preseason top ten teams, Christian Co. and Mason Co. also Cov. Cath. Bishop Brossart, East Cater, Johnson Central, Glasgow, and obviously, Ashland.

thoughts/ predictions?

Mason will not be a top 10 team this year. Pawsat tore his MCL and will not be playing. Barner transfered back to Bryan Station. Christian Co yes, they should win the 2nd region.

Squid Wrote:Some random thoughts:

It will be good to get to see Cameron Hall play. Good kid, and he still has friends in this area.

Mason County is going to be solid (as usual). I would think that they would have to be the favorite going in.

East Carter will get a chance to show what they can do against some strong teams. I don't know what the rest of their schedule looks like, but if they can advance against the likes of Christian and/or Mason, then we'll know that they are even better than many might think.

Christian Co is the favorite, with or withour Pawsat of Mason Co. They are quick and very athletic. If Christian Co dosn't win this tourney it will really suprise me.
Gold Charger Wrote:Christian Co is the favorite, with or withour Pawsat of Mason Co. They are quick and very athletic. If Christian Co dosn't win this tourney it will really suprise me.

Thanks for the insight, Gold.

What else can you tell us about Christian County? What style do they play?
Squid Wrote:Thanks for the insight, Gold.

What else can you tell us about Christian County? What style do they play?

They have the top 3 players in their region( 2nd) in:
Shaquill Wilson 6'5 G/F SR-outstanding 3 point shooter, and agressive going to the basket. He is being recuited by Missouri St. Boise State and others.

Donovan Kates 6'5 F Jr - very physical player, is recieving attention from, Tennesse, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Oklahoma State.

Anthony Hickey 5'10 G Jr- very athletic and quick player, great passer.

ranked 6th is Veontae( SP) Lewis 6'0 G Jr- strong ball handler.

Christian Co has won 2 of the last 3 2nd regional titles. They apply constant pressure and can go on big runs.

Two other players to watch for are forwards, Marcoryeon (sp)Tandy and Malcolm McDuffen. Both are being recuited by UK in football.

They lost to Holmes by less than 10 in the first round of the State Tourney and have most of their players back. They were young last year. They are the real deal.
Daggone - they sound like the real deal.

I'll have to agree with you, Gold, they would definitely appear to be the favorites in the AIT. Let's hope that they are at least tired from the bus ride.
Squid Wrote:Daggone - they sound like the real deal.

I'll have to agree with you, Gold, they would definitely appear to be the favorites in the AIT. Let's hope that they are at least tired from the bus ride.

They do have a long bus ride. Are the brackets set yet? I am sure that Christan Co, Mason and East Carter will all be in the same bracket.
I haven't seen the brackets, and I'm not sure if they've already been set (although, I would think that they have been).

I do know that the format now is pool play, followed by a single game matchup. It guarantees each of the teams three games.
Gold Charger Wrote:They have the top 3 players in their region( 2nd) in:
Shaquill Wilson 6'5 G/F SR-outstanding 3 point shooter, and agressive going to the basket. He is being recuited by Missouri St. Boise State and others.

Donovan Kates 6'5 F Jr - very physical player, is recieving attention from, Tennesse, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Oklahoma State.

Anthony Hickey 5'10 G Jr- very athletic and quick player, great passer.

ranked 6th is Veontae( SP) Lewis 6'0 G Jr- strong ball handler.

Christian Co has won 2 of the last 3 2nd regional titles. They apply constant pressure and can go on big runs.

Two other players to watch for are forwards, Marcoryeon (sp)Tandy and Malcolm McDuffen. Both are being recuited by UK in football.

They lost to Holmes by less than 10 in the first round of the State Tourney and have most of their players back. They were young last year. They are the real deal.

I've been trying to tell people since last year that Christian Co will be a legit top 10 team this year and IMO top 5.

The only player they lost from last year's team was their senior leader in Corey Wilford, but they return plenty enough to still be a very good team.

Wilson is a top 20 player for 2010 but Kates might just be one of the most underrated players in the c/o 2011. He is easily top 10 for 2011 IMO.

Lewis and Hickey are two of the quickest players in the state. Both get up and down the floor and Hickey was impressive against Holmes last year in the state tournament.

Add one of the best athletes in the state in Malcolm McDuffen, and it's easy to see why CC is going to be a force to reckoned with this year. statewide.

BTW, Christian Co lost to Holmes by 11 last year in the state tournament....72-61. Wink

I agree too that Mason Co isn't a top 10 team. They are borderline top 20. I could see them struggling some this year with the loss of Pawsat and transfer of Barner.

Christian Co should win this tournament rather easily.
Can't wait to see Glascow and the developement of Cameron Hall since he left Fairview. Great kid and great family, you know they will be well coached & I think will do well in this tournament.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I've been trying to tell people since last year that Christian Co will be a legit top 10 team this year and IMO top 5.

The only player they lost from last year's team was their senior leader in Corey Wilford, but they return plenty enough to still be a very good team.

Wilson is a top 20 player for 2010 but Kates might just be one of the most underrated players in the c/o 2011. He is easily top 10 for 2011 IMO.

Lewis and Hickey are two of the quickest players in the state. Both get up and down the floor and Hickey was impressive against Holmes last year in the state tournament.

Add one of the best athletes in the state in Malcolm McDuffen, and it's easy to see why CC is going to be a force to reckoned with this year. statewide.

BTW, Christian Co lost to Holmes by 11 last year in the state tournament....72-61. Wink

I agree too that Mason Co isn't a top 10 team. They are borderline top 20. I could see them struggling some this year with the loss of Pawsat and transfer of Barner.

Christian Co should win this tournament rather easily.
Hey I was close,
:biggrin:

Mason will have a good record, because their schedule is really toned down from the past few years. Only top teams on regular schedule is Holmes and GRC. NO Scott Co. or Lexington Catholic, Mason wouldn't play them.
LionEagle Wrote:Can't wait to see Glascow and the developement of Cameron Hall since he left Fairview. Great kid and great family, you know they will be well coached & I think will do well in this tournament.

I plan on keeping tabs on Cameron this year. I've heard nothing but great things about him.
Gold Charger Wrote:Hey I was close,
:biggrin:

Mason will have a good record, because their schedule is really toned down from the past few years. Only top teams on regular schedule is Holmes and GRC. NO Scott Co. or Lexington Catholic, Mason wouldn't play them.

They also play Highlands who should be a preseason top 15 team with what they return from last year.

I agree though that MC's schedule is watered down some compared to years past. They did upgrade with Holmes in the US Bank Classic. That was usually the event they'd play Lexcath in. Other than that, they don't really play any marquee out of region games other than possibly meeting up with Christian Co in the AIT and playing Bryan Station in the season finale.

Looking at their schedule, I see them finishing the regular season with 4-6 losses.I think they definetly lose to Highlands, Holmes, GRC, and Bryan Station.

If they meet Christian Co in the AIT I see them losing that one as well which puts them at 5 losses. I also think they could lose to Ryle if they meet at the tournament in Bowling Green that MC is playing in. Ryle will be very good in the 9th region this year with a lot of size. (6'1. 6'4, 6'5. 6'6, 6'8)
kywldcat01 Wrote:They also play Highlands who should be a preseason top 15 team with what they return from last year.

I agree though that MC's schedule is watered down some compared to years past. They did upgrade with Holmes in the US Bank Classic. That was usually the event they'd play Lexcath in. Other than that, they don't really play any marquee out of region games other than possibly meeting up with Christian Co in the AIT and playing Bryan Station in the season finale.

Looking at their schedule, I see them finishing the regular season with 4-6 losses.I think they definetly lose to Highlands, Holmes, GRC, and Bryan Station.

If they meet Christian Co in the AIT I see them losing that one as well which puts them at 5 losses. I also think they could lose to Ryle if they meet at the tournament in Bowling Green that MC is playing in. Ryle will be very good in the 9th region this year with a lot of size. (6'1. 6'4, 6'5. 6'6, 6'8)

Don't see Highlands pre-season top 15. By the end of the season they could earn that ranking. Mike Flynn is a very good coach.
Mason Co has Dunbar, Lafayette, and Madison Central away. Without Barner and Pawsat, these could be losses too.
Gold Charger Wrote:Don't see Highlands pre-season top 15. By the end of the season they could earn that ranking. Mike Flynn is a very good coach.
Mason Co has Dunbar, Lafayette, and Madison Central away. Without Barner and Pawsat, these could be losses too.

Highlands willl be preseason top 20. They got as high as #12 in several polls last year and lost nobody from that team. I think they'll be better under Flynn. He has put them through more conditioning and working out than Willie did in his entire time there.

I actually mentioned Dunbar, Lafayette, and Henry Clay as potential losses for MC, before editing my post. Don't see them losing to Madison central. They lost a lot from last year's team.

Either way, we're in agreement that MC will have a deceiving record this year as their schedule isn't as tough as most years.
I remember when the AIT was the premier holiday tourney in the state. They used to fill the schedule with the top teams. There's just too many other tourneys going on at the same time these days.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Highlands willl be preseason top 20. They got as high as #12 in several polls last year and lost nobody from that team. I think they'll be better under Flynn. He has put them through more conditioning and working out than Willie did in his entire time there.

I actually mentioned Dunbar, Lafayette, and Henry Clay as potential losses for MC, before editing my post. Don't see them losing to Madison central. They lost a lot from last year's team.

Either way, we're in agreement that MC will have a deceiving record this year as their schedule isn't as tough as most years.

Sure, :biggrin:
MC always has a competitive team. Feldhouse has done a great job there.
Don't remember Higlands ever being ranked in any poll last year. Which one was it?
Gold Charger Wrote:Sure, :biggrin:
MC always has a competitive team. Feldhouse has done a great job there.
Don't remember Higlands ever being ranked in any poll last year. Which one was it?

Maxpreps, calpreps, massey, AP, and litkenhous all had Highlands in the top 20 at one point or another during the season.

After they beat Mason Co and Boone Co to start the year, they got as high as #12. Losses to Brossart and Newcath in back to back games dropped them out of the top 20 though.

Highlands will be able to compete with ANYONE in the state this year, including region rival Holmes.
How good is Cov Cath this year. Hope that the turney is a big success with some of these big name teams coming in.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:How good is Cov Cath this year. Hope that the turney is a big success with some of these big name teams coming in.

Cov. Cath. will be down this year. They would be lucky to be in the top 10 in the 9th Region.
Wow I cant believe that. Hope that the tourney will still be exciting.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:How good is Cov Cath this year. Hope that the turney is a big success with some of these big name teams coming in.

goodguy Wrote:Cov. Cath. will be down this year. They would be lucky to be in the top 10 in the 9th Region.

Covcath will be somewhat young this year. They have one of the top 15 best players in the region in Jake Thelen, but other than him they don't really have anyone spectacular.

Covcath will finish around .500 this year and battle with Holy Cross for the #2 seed in the district behind Holmes.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Wow I cant believe that. Hope that the tourney will still be exciting.

Christian Co. should win this tournament, and they have one of the most exciting players that I've seen in KY. Hickey; he goes full speed ALL the time. He is very athletic and quick with the ball. He goes so fast that at times, he is almost out of control. But he sure is exciting to watch. I really enjoy watching him play.

I believe East Carter will be pretty good this year also. With Barnhill in the middle, not too many teams has a defender that can keep him from getting to the basket.

Ashland could sneak in there if all their transfers get eligible.

Mason Co. is no where near as strong as I thought they would be earlier this summer. With Barner transferring back to Bryan Station and Pawsatt being hurt and most likely not playing this year they will be lacking at the post. However, Gibert & Setty are outstanding players, but I don't think they will be strong enough to beat Christian Co. or East Carter.

Should be a good tournament. Good luck to all.
goodguy Wrote:Christian Co. should win this tournament, and they have one of the most exciting players that I've seen in KY. Hickey; he goes full speed ALL the time. He is very athletic and quick with the ball. He goes so fast that at times, he is almost out of control. But he sure is exciting to watch. I really enjoy watching him play.

I believe East Carter will be pretty good this year also. With Barnhill in the middle, not too many teams has a defender that can keep him from getting to the basket.

Ashland could sneak in there if all their transfers get eligible.

Mason Co. is no where near as strong as I thought they would be earlier this summer. With Barner transferring back to Bryan Station and Pawsatt being hurt and most likely not playing this year they will be lacking at the post. However, Gibert & Setty are outstanding players, but I don't think they will be strong enough to beat Christian Co. or East Carter.

Should be a good tournament. Good luck to all.

I agree! Hickey is very fun to watch. He was very impressive last year against Holmes in the state tournament. I look forward to seeing him again this year when Holmes and Christian Co meet in the Joe B. Hall Classic at Montgomery Co.

BTW, do you know if Barner has been cleared to play for BS or not?
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree! Hickey is very fun to watch. He was very impressive last year against Holmes in the state tournament. I look forward to seeing him again this year when Holmes and Christian Co meet in the Joe B. Hall Classic at Montgomery Co.

BTW, do you know if Barner has been cleared to play for BS or not?

I have not heard anything on Barner. Think we should be hearing something soon.

What is the date of the Joe B. Classic? May just have to go watch that one.
12/28 games
Bishop Brossart vs East Carter 2:30 pm
Mason County vs Christian County 4 pm
Ashland vs Johnson Central 7 pm
Covington catholic vs Glasgow 8:30 pm

four games on 12/29 & 12/30
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:12/28 games
Bishop Brossart vs East Carter 2:30 pm
Mason County vs Christian County 4 pm
Ashland vs Johnson Central 7 pm
Covington Catholic vs Glasgow 8:30 pm

four games on 12/29 & 12/30

Thanks for posting the pairings. As I stated before Christian Co should win this tourney.
Pages: 1 2