Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Good teams destroyed by politics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just talking to a friend of mine this past week, he said politics have destroyed the team in his hometown....do you feel this has a bearing on the game?
Yes. Greenup County has had a problem with this for quite awhile now.
How so? I know this kind of stuff happens. What factors are at play here?
[SIZE=2]I might hit some nerves here and might be off base a little but this is just my opinion. I feel like when coach Mcpeek was here at Lawrence Co. They was a lot of politics going on that really hurt our program. I'm not pointing any fingers but during this time I was really close to the program and went to a couple of school board meeting's were they was a few tempers all most got out of hand. I feel that was the start of the set back our football program is now just getting out of. I hope to never see it again and the details to all of this isn't important any more. But it did cost us some good coaches and some good players during this time. But now were back and like they say learn from your mistakes and what don't kill you will only make you stronger. And Lawrence Co. Is very strong again. Thank goodness
[/SIZE]
It was also politics(parent input) they say that ran Billy off. Boone could have been something at LC this year. With that said it has worked out well for him, and HK has done a great job at QB for LC. You dont get better than 10-0.
It's probably everywhere, in one form or another, but, that's just the way it is. ( sad but true ).
At Mercer there is a good sized group that wants a "Harrodsburg" guy as coach now that jaggers is gone. Things are not good in that system right now. Too much talent to lose that many games.
I love how it's "Politcs" fault. That is such a bogus argument. I've said this before, you want something changed, then stick your neck out and challenge the school as a parent. Yet, no parent wants to challenge the schools because they don't want to put little Johnny in jeopardy. Then if you don't have the guts to challenge, then don't use politics as an excuse. That flat our weak
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Yes. Greenup County has had a problem with this for quite awhile now.

How so?
Stardust Wrote:I love how it's "Politcs" fault. That is such a bogus argument. I've said this before, you want something changed, then stick your neck out and challenge the school as a parent. Yet, no parent wants to challenge the schools because they don't want to put little Johnny in jeopardy. Then if you don't have the guts to challenge, then don't use politics as an excuse. That flat our weak

You are deadnuts right Stardust! :Thumbs:
Perry Central has had that problem along time. ( I graduated from there and played some sports and i should know)
64black&gold Wrote:At Mercer there is a good sized group that wants a "Harrodsburg" guy as coach now that jaggers is gone. Things are not good in that system right now. Too much talent to lose that many games.

Ooops well its a matter of opinion on that talent a friends son plays on that team and the talent isn't there. its 2 years away. we all hit our peeks and valleys. BTW welcome to 5a maybe if there petitioned the KHSAA will let mercer play in the 2a tournament like when they were already merged but still playing 2a yeah its a sore spot with me. BIG * by that state title.
bchater Wrote:Ooops well its a matter of opinion on that talent a friends son plays on that team and the talent isn't there. its 2 years away. we all hit our peeks and valleys. BTW welcome to 5a maybe if there petitioned the KHSAA will let mercer play in the 2a tournament like when they were already merged but still playing 2a yeah its a sore spot with me. BIG * by that state title.

I didn't say they should have won state. They should have won more games than they did. They have real locker room problems over there. Also I hope the talent your friend says is on the way is not their freshman class. They didn't look good when I saw them.
Stardust Wrote:I love how it's "Politcs" fault. That is such a bogus argument. I've said this before, you want something changed, then stick your neck out and challenge the school as a parent. Yet, no parent wants to challenge the schools because they don't want to put little Johnny in jeopardy. Then if you don't have the guts to challenge, then don't use politics as an excuse. That flat our weak

Very good point! Saying politics is the problem is only if you let it be that way!
Typically the "politics" argument is used by parents who can't face the fact that little Johnny isn't quite as good as they want to believe. Not to say that is the case 100% of the time, but I've been around a while and have had kids play various sports at all levels and have rarely seen anything that I would call "politics".
I think most of the most of your political tug of wars in a school system is between administration, board members, SBC, and a few parents. All have their own agendas as to who they want as coach and opinions on how things should be done. As posted above, this goes on just about everywhere. Unfortunately, the kids/teams sometimes suffer when they're put in the middle of this stuff, because you know they're hearing it at home.