Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Elisha Justice and Louisville, Commitment in danger?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just ran up on this.

ZagsBlog.com is reporting that reclassified 2010 PG Russell Smith is leaning towards committing to Louisville during his visit on November 15. Here is an excerpt from ZagsBlog.com:

Russell Smith said he is leaning toward committing to Louisville when he and his father, Russell Smith, Sr., visit Nov. 15.

“The chances are likely,” the 6-2, 165-pound Smith said Saturday. “It’s a big program, big coach. I wouldn’t doubt that.”

*per allkyhoops.com
Calipari Wrote:Just ran up on this.

ZagsBlog.com is reporting that reclassified 2010 PG Russell Smith is leaning towards committing to Louisville during his visit on November 15. Here is an excerpt from ZagsBlog.com:

Russell Smith said he is leaning toward committing to Louisville when he and his father, Russell Smith, Sr., visit Nov. 15.

“The chances are likely,” the 6-2, 165-pound Smith said Saturday. “It’s a big program, big coach. I wouldn’t doubt that.”

*per allkyhoops.com

As I stated in an earlier thread, Pitino will continue to recruit scholarship PG's. I'm sure EJ was aware of this when he decided to walk on at Louisville. Division 1 schools only have 13 scholarships. The theory "Justice does not need a scholarship because of his academics, and Louisville does not need to waste a scholarship on him" will continue to cause Pitino to recruit over him the entire time EJ is at Louisville.

Like I said earlier, hope it works out for EJ. He is too good a player and person to not get what he wants out of his years playing college ball.

Before anyone starts, I am not hating on Elijah, I think he is a great basketball player and I truly hope he succeeds where ever he goes.
Elijah's commitment is not in jeopardy. The mods need to close this thread because we all know its intent and where it is going.:HitWall:
5timechamp Wrote:Elijah's commitment is not in jeopardy. The mods need to close this thread because we all know its intent and where it is going.:HitWall:

No intent of anything, just remember others stating he would maybe be Siva's backup.

Found it and just figured I would post.

People like to know these things. As of right now, he's basically one of 3 PG's, that Pitino has in mind.

Just thought, it was an interesting find.

Didn't mean they would drop their interest in him, just saying that his thought of a backup PG spot, may be in danger, thats all.
I think the thread is fine to keep around right now. It IS an interesting find. I see Calipari's point. In the other thread everyone was mentioning that Justice would be Siva's backup guard to relieve him and get some minutes but if Smith commits and receives a scholly then that pushes Justice back to 3rd string at best. Will he reconsider his verbal commitment knowing this so he may play minutes at another school or will he just take his chances at UofL and possibly never see the floor?
thetribe Wrote:I think the thread is fine to keep around right now. It IS an interesting find. I see Calipari's point. In the other thread everyone was mentioning that Justice would be Siva's backup guard to relieve him and get some minutes but if Smith commits and receives a scholly then that pushes Justice back to 3rd string at best. Will he reconsider his verbal commitment knowing this so he may play minutes at another school or will he just take his chances at UofL and possibly never see the floor?

Thanks for explaining that Tribe.

That's the reason I posted this when i found it.

I just figure he may reconsider if Smith signs.
Why so sensitive? This is an update...It said nothing negative...Dont make this another hyping thread...lol...Maybe EJ should reconsider and wait on ARK or Florida's offer....JMO!!!!!Confusedhh:
Anything said about him that isn't hype, the whole eastern side of the state goes nuts. No one said anything about his ability to ball, so it's no form of bashing at all.
Good luck to this young man, remember one thing, when we get a kid in our region that lands at a D-1 school , it, only opens doors for the kids to follow, work hard young man, where ever you go !!!!!
Now What Wrote:Why so sensitive? This is an update...It said nothing negative...Dont make this another hyping thread...lol...Maybe EJ should reconsider and wait on ARK or Florida's offer....JMO!!!!!Confusedhh:

Let me put this in perspective for you Arkansas, John Pelphrey, isn't making an offer to Justice. He told me this himself last year. So don't try playing that card. If EJ is happy in his commitment to U of L be happy for him, just don't try and make people believe that the SEC is coming to Valley with an offer.
kyrifle Wrote:Let me put this in perspective for you Arkansas, John Pelphrey, isn't making an offer to Justice. He told me this himself last year. So don't try playing that card. If EJ is happy in his commitment to U of L be happy for him, just don't try and make people believe that the SEC is coming to Valley with an offer.
That sounds like something Pitino would say about Larry Bird.:eyeroll:
CatDawg Wrote:That sounds like something Pitino would say about Larry Bird.:eyeroll:

And your point being?
Why would a kid with the basketbal talent of Justice pay to go to school anywhere, unless he was promised a scholarship next year (like Phares)? College is very expensive.
see this is my point exactly, thank you calipari for explaining. as i said in the other thread, pitino is gonna sign better players that are going to play over elisha.
kyrifle Wrote:And your point being?
My point was that I agreed with you, however, your statement reminded me of Pitinos presser when he was saying that Bird was going to walk through that door and save Boston. I totally agree that no SEC coach would be walking through that door for Justice. Seems like a great kid and very talented BB player however I don't see any SEC or even Big East school giving him a free ride unless it is through academics. Does that mean that I'm correct probably not and who knows maybe he is worthy of such an offer, I've been wrong before.
CatDawg Wrote:My point was that I agreed with you, however, your statement reminded me of Pitinos presser when he was saying that Bird was going to walk through that door and save Boston. I totally agree that no SEC coach would be walking through that door for Justice. Seems like a great kid and very talented BB player however I don't see any SEC or even Big East school giving him a free ride unless it is through academics. Does that mean that I'm correct probably not and who knows maybe he is worthy of such an offer, I've been wrong before.

I think you're right on.
Elisha knows exactly what he is doing...He is making this decision for the long run of his career anyways..COACHING BASKETBALL...He knows he isn't going to the NBA or anything..I love the move and wish him NOTHING BUT THE BEST!
All I know is that i can't wait for him to show everybody what a boy from the mountains can do.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Elisha knows exactly what he is doing...He is making this decision for the long run of his career anyways..COACHING BASKETBALL...He knows he isn't going to the NBA or anything..I love the move and wish him NOTHING BUT THE BEST!

If his decision is based on coaching, then I agree it is a good decision. He is doing exactly what Masiello did coming out of high school. He walked on at UK with the goal of learning how to coach from watching Pitino. Even though he was only there one year under Pitino he stayed as a walk-on the final three years under Tubby Smith. Now I think he is in his fifth year as an assistant at UofL.

Having connections with Pitino will always be a benefit on down the road.
goodguy Wrote:If his decision is based on coaching, then I agree it is a good decision. He is doing exactly what Masiello did coming out of high school. He walked on at UK with the goal of learning how to coach from watching Pitino. Even though he was only there one year under Pitino he stayed as a walk-on the final three years under Tubby Smith. Now I think he is in his fifth year as an assistant at UofL.

good post
goodguy Wrote:If his decision is based on coaching, then I agree it is a good decision. He is doing exactly what Masiello did coming out of high school. He walked on at UK with the goal of learning how to coach from watching Pitino. Even though he was only there one year under Pitino he stayed as a walk-on the final three years under Tubby Smith. Now I think he is in his fifth year as an assistant at UofL.

And this is exactly what the kid is doing. i mean the kid is thinking of his future here. is he an NBA prospect, NO. Will he ever play in the NBA, probly not, but he will get a chance to learn from a coach that can teach him the things he wants to do in life and that is coach. And if Louisville signs another guard then so be it. Im pretty sure Elisha knows all of the above mentioned things. Congrats to the kid make us proud!
I don't think that Elisha is in jeopardy of going to Louisville, even if it knocks him back to 3rd string. Alot of these players are one and done and Elisha's goal is to be a basketball coach and he wants to learn from Pitino, you can observe more from the bench, than the floor, although I believe he will see minute's, because he is such a good true point guard.
I wish Justice the best of luck in whatever he does and wherever he does it. At the same time I think it's hilarious that he goes from being Siva's backup and a promise of a scholly his soph. season, to 3rd string and "he's just going there so he can learn from Pitino, he wants to get into coaching" based solely on another pg leaning towards Louisville. Seems some of the the hypers are crawdadding a little bit on thier previous statements.Confusedhh:
I don't think there's anyway possible that Elisha will reconsider! Even if he gets knocked down to 3rd string his time will be valuable at Louisville. If he commits himself and listens to everything coach Pitino says he will get his chance to start at Louisville! He will be one of the few to stay at Louisville for 4 years and he will get his chance even if he has to wait until his senior year!
Elisha need to keep in mind that the recruiting mode of a coach is a lot different than his regular mode back at the college. Going from being the bright star in high school to being one of many at the college level, Elisha needs to keep his goal in mind at all times. I think that it is wonderful that he will get the chance to show everyone who he really is. I love to watch him play the game of basketball because he loves this game. Hopefully, he will fulfill his dream of coaching one day and he can give back to others in that way. An Elisha's fan.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:All I know is that i can't wait for him to show everybody what a boy from the mountains can do.

I agree.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:All I know is that i can't wait for him to show everybody what a boy from the mountains can do.

I'm hoping a little better than Landon Slone.
I would say that Elisha is content with his current commitment. Pitino, as much as I hate to admit it will allow him to pick up on the greatest aspects of coaching. Hopefully he can come back to the mountains and begin teaching and coaching around home. Elisha is one of the best players that will ever come out of the mountains and I hate that he is not going to the STATEs school in UK but I will support him and be happy for him no matter what!
well he could play in the sec before the big east.the kid will never see the floor for pitino,unles its during mop up time in non-conference play.nowhere near enough size or speed to play in big east.
Got a chance to see South Kent's Russell Smith play against Thomas More Prep in exhibition game. Good size, quickness, solid passer. I can see why coach Pitino sees potential in Smith. If only Justice was just taller and had the length. Who knows, lets support our home grown kids and hope for the best.

On a another note, Smith went up against Jenkins who joined T. More Prep. Needless to say, he's healthy now and Smith didn't know not to sag on D. Jenkins had 17, 6 rebs, 4 assists, and 1 turnover as T. More won by 16.