Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands @ Ryle 10/30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I guess the main questions here are 1. Can the Birds stop the freight train #34 Travis Elliott? 2. Will AC play? 3. Will we see more of Bardo? 4. Will Towles be up to the challenge in his 1st real test against decent competition? 5. And lastly, if it's close, will we continue to hear from neerfan about how SK would handle the Birds like Simon Kenton handled the Native Americans?:lmao:
Even depleted, I think Highlands handles them again. The defense has improved exponentially since August, and I think Dale knows a thing or two about game planning. Ryle will put up a better fight than CovCath, Dixie and Boone, but with an undefeated season riding on the game, I see the Birds keeping the pedal down. No letup.
35-14 Birds. Good tuneup for the looming playoffs.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I guess the main questions here are 1. Can the Birds stop the freight train #34 Travis Elliott? 2. Will AC play? 3. Will we see more of Bardo? 4. Will Towles be up to the challenge in his 1st real test against decent competition? 5. And lastly, if it's close, will we continue to hear from neerfan about how SK would handle the Birds like Simon Kenton handled the Native Americans?:lmao:

1. They will slow him down but not stop him.
2. No
3. Yes
4. I'd say Cov Cath is good competition and yes he will be up for the challenge.
5. ....
qryche11 Wrote:1. They will slow him down but not stop him.
2. No
3. Yes
4. I'd say Cov Cath is good competition and yes he will be up for the challenge.
5. ....

Ryle really beat CovCath down badly early in the year. Not a standard CovCath team this year, although I'm sure the week of practice that led up to the game was pretty intense. Ryle will be the first real test for Towles, and it couldn't come at a better time with the playoffs close.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I guess the main questions here are 1. Can the Birds stop the freight train #34 Travis Elliott? 2. Will AC play? 3. Will we see more of Bardo? 4. Will Towles be up to the challenge in his 1st real test against decent competition? 5. And lastly, if it's close, will we continue to hear from neerfan about how SK would handle the Birds like Simon Kenton handled the Native Americans?:lmao:

I would say his first real test was a sophmore stepping up in the St X game.

He passed.
tradition Wrote:I would say his first real test was a sophmore stepping up in the St X game.

He passed.

Forgot about that one. Indeed he did.
I agree to an extent. 1 qtr of handoffs, some of which were botched, doesn't make him fire tested.... Not one pass attempted. I am certainly not taking anything away from his step up performance that memorable night. I think he's the future of Highlands. Very good qb. However, I reiterate, Ryle is his first big, complete game. No doubt in my mind. His speed and athleticism are well beyond his age.......an absolute rifle of an arm. This game will give Bluebird fans a window into how the playoffs are going to "play" out. I think the Birds win by 2tds at best. The defense stopping Elliott will be critical to the ultimate outcome of this great rematch....With AC out and Bardo nursing his arm, the Birds are certainly not healthy going into the playoffs.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Ryle really beat CovCath down badly early in the year. Not a standard CovCath team this year, although I'm sure the week of practice that led up to the game was pretty intense. Ryle will be the first real test for Towles, and it couldn't come at a better time with the playoffs close.

I believe this will be a very close game, Ryle has improved substantially since the first time they played the birds. They will put a up a tough fight because they all want to be the team to take down Highlands. If Highlands comes out thinking they already won, then Ryle will pounce on that. The defense has improved and will be ready to handle the birds offense. I hope that ryle can pull out the upset win.
Go Raiders!TongueirateSho
This is just a "Game" for the Birds, meaning this means much more to Ryle and more for their own bragging rights. That said, Ryle is still no match for the Birds. The only way that I would see Ryle winning this game is due to the Birds pulling starters (or not playing them at all) and Ryle keeping their guys in just to win for pride purposes.
I believe this will be a very close game, Ryle has improved substantially since the first time they played the birds. They will put a up a tough fight because they all want to be the team to take down Highlands. If Highlands comes out thinking they already won, then Ryle will pounce on that. The defense has improved and will be ready to handle the birds offense. I hope that ryle can pull out the upset win.
Go Raiders!
Yesterday 10:36 PM

Yeah, those guys have been salivating ever since Bardo went down. Now with AC out, the Birds will have to play a flawless game. Ryle plans on gettin' after the Birds RB's and hope to make an example of Towles. They better bring their best friday. Highlands won't go down without a fight....
Schmilla88 Wrote:I believe this will be a very close game, Ryle has improved substantially since the first time they played the birds. They will put a up a tough fight because they all want to be the team to take down Highlands. If Highlands comes out thinking they already won, then Ryle will pounce on that. The defense has improved and will be ready to handle the birds offense. I hope that ryle can pull out the upset win.
Go Raiders!TongueirateSho

Ryle is not the only team from that first game to improve substantially! Ryle will not be playing agianst the same D that they faced in game one! HHS shut Elliot down after the first series; Ryle needs to have more than him come Friday night. HHS did take a blow with losing Bardo, but Towles is doing fine and Ryle will not shut down this O. I believe HHS wins this game by 3 TD's , unless he decides to rest alot of the starters.
sstack Wrote:Ryle is not the only team from that first game to improve substantially! Ryle will not be playing agianst the same D that they faced in game one! HHS shut Elliot down after the first series; Ryle needs to have more than him come Friday night. HHS did take a blow with losing Bardo, but Towles is doing fine and Ryle will not shut down this O. I believe HHS wins this game by 3 TD's , unless he decides to rest alot of the starters.

Ryle has come to the point where they don't rely on Travis Elliot, he is one of the great weapons in there arsonal. But they have plenty of people to turn to Elliot or Eubank are both great runners, then Hempel can throw it to Fugate or Nichols or even Eubank for good amounts of yards. And the defense has come to the point where they can handle any offense.

I still think it will be close. Ryle is a nasty team on the field and wants to be the team to ruin Highlands' 2009 season.
TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
Schmilla88 Wrote:Ryle has come to the point where they don't rely on Travis Elliot, he is one of the great weapons in there arsonal. But they have plenty of people to turn to Elliot or Eubank are both great runners, then Hempel can throw it to Fugate or Nichols or even Eubank for good amounts of yards. And the defense has come to the point where they can handle any offense.

I still think it will be close. Ryle is a nasty team on the field and wants to be the team to ruin Highlands' 2009 season.

Trust me, I saw how "nasty" Ryle was the first time Highlands played them. :eyeroll: I'm sure they'd like to avenge that defeat and be the first mark on Highlands possible undefeated season, but unless they figure out a way to knock Highlands out of the playoffs, nothing they do on Friday can ruin the season for the Birds. The Scott game was a bigger deal than this one for the Birds. They just want to go into the playoffs healthy.
Schmilla88 Wrote:Ryle has come to the point where they don't rely on Travis Elliot, he is one of the great weapons in there arsonal. But they have plenty of people to turn to Elliot or Eubank are both great runners, then Hempel can throw it to Fugate or Nichols or even Eubank for good amounts of yards. And the defense has come to the point where they can handle any offense.

Yes, Ryle's defense handled SK very well.....Not. Your Hempel scenario sounds good against Scott, but Highlands defense will put the smack down on Hempel's passing game. And in response to the defense handling any offense: I guess we'll see Friday night in Ft. Thomas.
Game time has changed to 7:30.
H-Lands-40
Ryle-12
Highlands will once again handle the Raiders. Both teams have improved since the first meeting, but Highlands defense will be the x-factor. I really see Ryle having trouble moving the ball.

Offensively, Collinsworth is out but let's not forget they still have Bardo back there running the ball at times. Bardo can be and will be just as effective as Collinsworth.

I see a similar scenario from game one. Ryle keeps it close for a while and eventually Highlands wears them down.

Highlands 42
Ryle 14
Highlands will make a statement tonight going into the playoffs.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Highlands will make a statement tonight going into the playoffs.

How much will Dale put into a win just to get a win? Meaning, will he rest his #1's in the 4th? Honestly, the Birds have already made their statement IMO. Regardless of tonights outcome, the Birds have established themselves as the #1 (At least 1a) team in the state, and a National team. Now, where I believe Dale goes for the win regardless is the fact that he has a chance to lead this team to being maybe the best ever Birds team
Stardust Wrote:How much will Dale put into a win just to get a win? Meaning, will he rest his #1's in the 4th? Honestly, the Birds have already made their statement IMO. Regardless of tonights outcome, the Birds have established themselves as the #1 (At least 1a) team in the state, and a National team. Now, where I believe Dale goes for the win regardless is the fact that he has a chance to lead this team to being maybe the best ever Birds team

Dale wont have to do anything, the players are very very :devilflam over the outcome of the first game. Apparently they felt like only winning by 23 pts was not good enough. This came directly from one of their coaches so we will see a very fired up team tonight.
[quote=Stardust]How much will Dale put into a win just to get a win? Meaning, will he rest his #1's in the 4th? Honestly, the Birds have already made their statement IMO. Regardless of tonights outcome, the Birds have established themselves as the #1 (At least 1a) team in the state, and a National team. Now, where I believe Dale goes for the win regardless is the fact that he has a chance to lead this team to being maybe the best ever Birds team[/QUOTE

Dale will do like he's done all season. He'll take the win with his studs being used sparingly. He's done that for years so tonight is nothing different. Fumbles will keep this Ryle squad close, but hopefully they've fixed that problem with their backs.....