Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What is your high school football team's best moments that you seen as a spectator?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is your favorite moment with your local teams? I can honestly name a few myself. Rockcastle shutting out Bell County for the regional championship my junior year is sure a favorite, Beating Lincoln County on the last play my sophomore year to give Coach Larkey his 200th career victory is a favorite. Playing a great battle with Ashland Blazer in a losing effort in double overtime in the playoffs at Putnam Stadium is a sure favorite besides losing but the atmosphere over there is what I liked the most. Winning the district championship for the first time since 2002 was a great moment and we was 8-0 in district play winning the most district games in a season for Rockcastle and tying the most team career district wins with that dominant 2002 class is sure a good moment. Come on everybody, name your favorite moments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:
For me it was in the 1996 2A playoffs when Boyle finally beat Danville 12-0.
10/23 Shelby Valley beating Prestonsburg for the 2009 district title!!!!!!

other events ive been to.

Ty Scrogging becoming the first african american coach to win a kentucky football championship at Central in 2007, then repeating in 2008.

St. X vs Trinity in 2007 state championship, were the game went to overtime, with trinity winning 4th and goal
For Perry Central my fav moment was being down 17 with around 4 minutes left against Boyd Co. in 2000. Score, onside kick, Score, onside kick, last second hail mary to endzone for game winning score.
Belfry
1. 2003 State Championship when David Jones crossed the goalline on 4th Down and Paul Howard intercepted current Auburn QB Chris Todd's pass to seal it.
2. 2004 State Championship when Belfry rushes for over 500 yards and Chris Varney picks off Owensboro Catholic's Zach Bernard to end a comeback bid.
3. The last game ever played at Vipperman Stadium, a 2003 Semi-Final win over a very good Russell team.
4. Ending Pikeville's legendary win streak
5. Brad Hatfield's TD reception as time expired to defeat a heavily favored Pikeville team 7-6 in the very controversial "Pass Interference" Game.
Johnson Central:

1993 - Apple Bowl - breaking an eight game losing streak to Paintsville in emphatic fashion, winning 56-12.

1994 - Apple Bowl - holding on for 8-6 win over Paintsville as Hayslett's FG missed wide.

I can't remember the year, but JC played in one of the best football games I've ever seen period in the playoffs at Madison Central, was something like 66-58 in 2OT. Josh Cochran filled in as an emergency RB, playing for the first and only time in HS there, and ran for over 100 yards.

2000 - Scott Salyer plunging in over the goal line at Boyd County with time expiring to give the Golden Eagles their first 10-0 season and district championship.

2006 - Grim to Taylor on the halfback pass to beat Ashland 28-21 in the second round of the playoffs.

2009 - Sanor to Hall in the back corner of the endzone against Ashland with a minute left for the win and district championship.
Bell beating Cov. Cath in 1991 and going on and winning the state title. Also beating Boyle in 2008 and going on and winning the state title.
1999 Boyle over Glasgow to win thier First of Five straight State Championships. This was the win that the Rebel Nation wanted for so many years, after hearing about Danville and their titles for so long.
The Iceboxx Wrote:10/23 Shelby Valley beating Prestonsburg for the 2009 district title!!!!!!

other events ive been to.

Ty Scrogging becoming the first african american coach to win a kentucky football championship at Central in 2007, then repeating in 2008.

St. X vs Trinity in 2007 state championship, were the game went to overtime, with trinity winning 4th and goal

Except the the SV-Prestonsburg fantasy, I agree with you. I was there for the games also, and the Trinity-St. X game was the best I have ever seen, bar none.
Not much for Lewis County. Only 6 :flame: winning seasons since 1969 Confusedecret:
http://www.lewis.kyschools.us/school/lch...easons.htm
Rebel55 Wrote:1999 Boyle over Glasgow to win thier First of Five straight State Championships. This was the win that the Rebel Nation wanted for so many years, after hearing about Danville and their titles for so long.

That was a good one. I only got to see it from video so as a spectator (or broadcaster :biggrinSmile here goes:

2002 Boyle over Rockastle 21-0 to win their fourth straight title. Got a sidelines pass for that one and a long trip.

2003 Boyle over Paducah Tighlman 35-21 in AAA semi-finals. Happened to be in for Thanksgiving and Steve asked me to do Color and make the trip. That was a very, very talented PT team that had more raw talent than Boyle but what a TEAM the Rebels had. :Thumbs:

1982 Boyle over Somerset 28-27 to win the District Title. Stopped the Jumpers on a 2 point conversion with about :23 left. That was the best team in AA that year IMO. They beat Corbin (eventual champ) and everyone else and Boyle had to play the perfect game to get a 1 point win and knock them out of the playoff picture.

Danville

1984 Danville over Hopkinsville for AAA State Title. The first State Title is the best as Rebel said and it was my first in a booth. Great Danville team that dominated so many good teams to go 13-0.

1987 Danville over Mayfield for AA State Title. Blocked EP in OT gave Ads the victory. Sloppy game but exciting finish.

1984 Danville over Cov Cath in Regional Final. Pretty arrogant group of Colonel backers showed up but left after a 28-12 blowout. (the game wasn't that close and was 28-0 late in 2nd half if memory serves) Ads dominated Cov Cath and went on to the title.
Bell County Bobcats

1.Bell County beats Boyle County to advance to state 2008
2.Bell defeats Bullitt East to win state the "Cardiac Game" 2008
3.the 3 game set
Bell-19 Knox Central-14
Bell-17 Boyle County-15
Bell-15 Bullitt East-13
greatest 3 games i have ever seen played on consecutive fridays the last 3 the Bobcats played in 2008.
4. 2005 bell county QB Kyle Nelson I think threw a Hail mary to stephen Buckeye Hunter in the closing seconds to set up the Bell go ahead touchdown to defeat rockcastle
5.Monte Merrick 2006 @ Corbin kicks game winning field goal as a sophomore after they tried to ice him
6.Monte Merrick 2008 breaks state record for XPs made with 205 record was 201 held by former trinity kicker carl hines williams and it moved him into 8th place nationally behind now Cincinnati Kicker Shane Graham former kentucky high school kicker.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry
1. 2003 State Championship when David Jones crossed the goalline on 4th Down and Paul Howard intercepted current Auburn QB Chris Todd's pass to seal it.
2. 2004 State Championship when Belfry rushes for over 500 yards and Chris Varney picks off Owensboro Catholic's Zach Bernard to end a comeback bid.
3. The last game ever played at Vipperman Stadium, a 2003 Semi-Final win over a very good Russell team.
5. Brad Hatfield's TD reception as time expired to defeat a heavily favored Pikeville team 7-6 in the very controversial "Pass Interference" Game.

I'll add a #6 on to this one...1995 The td catch @ the end of the playoff game against Bell Co @ Bell Co....I'm pretty sure that Brad Hatfield caught this pass.

It was 2004. I was there and still sick over it.:biggrin:
Obviously Russell's 05 State Championship game. Having a son that played made it that much sweeter.
Midee1 Wrote:It was 2004. I was there and still sick over it.:biggrin:

Yep, 2003 was a win for Belfry over Lloyd up in Erlanger in the cold and snow. 2004 was a victory over Josh Gross and the Devils at the Cam. My broadcast partner, former Belfry assistant Steve Mickey, got to do the honors of literally turning out the lights on Vipperman Stadium.
Midee1 Wrote:Obviously Russell's 05 State Championship game. Having a son that played made it that much sweeter.

I have never had children myself, but I can imagine it must be nice for a child of your own to be called state champ.
bucslover68 Wrote:I have never had children myself, but I can imagine it must be nice for a child of your own to be called state champ.

It was very chilling. Seeing his picture in the paper holding the trophy is something that he will never forget.
My favorite moment was this Year when harlan co. came back on Perry Co. down 14-0 late in the 4th, when TJ Green put the team on his shoulder and lead them to victory, that was awesome.

Wasn't it the other way around? Didn't Paul pick off Todd on the first OT drive, then Belfry punch it in with David?

Some great one's recently

1. Thomas Varney goes off. 317 yards, 418 all purpose, enough said.
2. Thomas Varney to Corey Charles, follows with a pick to beat Letcher Central.
3. Belfry vs. Johnson Central 2008
4. Belfry vs. Lawrence County 2008
5. The amazing crowd in a losing effort my freshman year @ State.

Highlands beating Cincinnati St. X:Cheerlead
This year has to be our defense stopping whitley and Perry when we needed a stop to put us in contention for a championship(district). We also be Hazard this year and got them back for beating us two years ago. Two years ago when we won it against Clay Co and got to play the best football team in the state. It was a honor. People said we couldn't even get past the 50 yard line, and we certainly couldn't score on them, but we did, and that was a victory for our program. Also coming back to beat Whitley that same year was also pretty cool.
2002 Rockcastle beat Highlands in the State Semi Finals 45-6.
cougarpride08 Wrote:This year has to be our defense stopping whitley and Perry when we needed a stop to put us in contention for a championship(district). We also be Hazard this year and got them back for beating us two years ago. Two years ago when we won it against Clay Co and got to play the best football team in the state. It was a honor. People said we couldn't even get past the 50 yard line, and we certainly couldn't score on them, but we did, and that was a victory for our program. Also coming back to beat Whitley that same year was also pretty cool.

Who was the best team in the state that you played at Clay County two years ago??????
After we beat Clay Co, we played Highlands in the regional championship.
Jamie Hubbard of Highlands carrying half+ of the CovCath defense into the end zone on his back from tennish yards out during a playoff game in 2004. We were right there in the end zone watching the play happen in front of us. Two of the defenders were doing nothing more than hanging onto him trying to dislodge the ball from him, not even bothering to try to tackle him.
There's a YouTube link to this play, but it was taken from the stands and you can't see much.
cougarpride08 Wrote:After we beat Clay Co, we played Highlands in the regional championship.

:Thumbs: My misunderstanding, I had always equated "State" with the Championship Game.
Letcher Central-
As a fan it was beating Clay Co in 07 after coming from 32 points down. Highlighted by Caleb Fraziers punt return through seven missed tackles by Clay.
As a parent- watching Charlie Banks come back after a concussion and kick a game winning field goal of 35 yards against Mercer Co. in the 2nd round of the 08 playoffs.
Windsprint Wrote:Letcher Central-
As a fan it was beating Clay Co in 07 after coming from 32 points down. Highlighted by Caleb Fraziers punt return through seven missed tackles by Clay.
As a parent- watching Charlie Banks come back after a concussion and kick a game winning field goal of 35 yards against Mercer Co. in the 2nd round of the 08 playoffs.

:rockon::Clap::Thumbs: Getting pumped just thinking about that.
Senior night when we played Knox Central on October 27th of 2006 was surely a very crowded and anticipated game in muddy field conditions, Rockcastle and Knox Central, We won that game and it was the last time we have ever defeated them in regular season play. But it has been a intense rival since they started playing each other over 30 years ago. My senior night and the history of the rival is what also makes it a memory for me along the list of other memories I have had.
Pages: 1 2