Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Happened to Mercer County?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a very random post but what happened to Mercer Co......back about three or four years ago they won the 3a state championship after the combining of a couple of schools....i dont know about everyone else but isnt this pretty ironic.....i dont believe teams that combine schools should be allowed to play for state championships untill they move up to the appropriate class.....some people may see this as not a big deal....but i see it as Mercer Co. robbed Russell of a State championship.....what do u guys think about this
They just had the right mix that year with the size of mercer countys line mixed with the speed of the harrodsburg to beat a talented Russell team 15-12. But now that they are in the right class they don't do much. They got hammered by 3a breathitt earlier this season as well.
How many seniors did they lose last year? We was fortunate to beat them last year.
POCO HISTORY #70 Wrote:This is a very random post but what happened to Mercer Co......back about three or four years ago they won the 3a state championship after the combining of a couple of schools....i dont know about everyone else but isnt this pretty ironic.....i dont believe teams that combine schools should be allowed to play for state championships untill they move up to the appropriate class.....some people may see this as not a big deal....but i see it as Mercer Co. robbed Russell of a State championship.....what do u guys think about this

wasn't it 2A rather than 3A that year? (Pre 6 Class system)

Not willing to be a Titans apologist but, lately they have had issues at the top. Jaggers left. Then the new coach came, accepted and left citing that "He changed his mind." The current coach is a holdover from Jaggers whom Jaggers wanted in the first place.

It seems to me that the whole school system and programs are in a turmoil.

As to the last part of your post, I can see where Russell fans "feel robbed." However they played each other and came out on the losing end. Whose to say the team Mercer beat in the semi-finals would not have done the same? Mercer is not the party to blame in that, it was the KHSAA.
Hatz Wrote:wasn't it 2A rather than 3A that year? (Pre 6 Class system)

Not willing to be a Titans apologist but, lately they have had issues at the top. Jaggers left. Then the new coach came, accepted and left citing that "He changed his mind." The current coach is a holdover from Jaggers whom Jaggers wanted in the first place.

As to the last part of your post, I can see where Russell fans "feel robbed." However they played each other and came out on the losing end. Whose to say the team Mercer beat in the semi-finals would not have done the same? Mercer is not the party to blame in that, it was the KHSAA.

Yes it is Khsaa's fualt....i should have added that in there....and it was 2a that year........it just seemed as if mercer was a team that was on the rise and a team that would be good for years to come.....school system believe it or not has alot to do with how good a team does....excellent post

All you had to say...

Without opening a can of worms about this matter in terms of the first year of consolidation, I will leave it at the fact that they must have been running out of money fast at Harrodsburg High School...because they had a football team before they could be re-classified and before they could even build a school. Confusedhh:

I agree that the KHSAA was to blame though. They should have stepped in and either put them in the proper classification or insisted that until they actually functioned out of one school they could not compete in a district. But, Mercer County certainly was no angel in all of this as well.

You are correct. Mercer County won the 2A title in 2006.