Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mayfield @ Crittenden County 10/23
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I realize posting a thread on a WKY matchup is likely to get totally ignored but this game could have huge implications for the 1A playoff picture. Winner plays at home til the get beat or go to BG.
Anyone got some stats or general un-biased info on these teams?
Wow, what a matchup here. There is no clear cut winner here. This is going to be a great one. Two of 1A's best teams going head to head. I really can't make a prediction, but this is a game I would love to attend.

Good luck to both teams.

By the way, can someone tell me if these two teams are in the same district?
Great match up. I dont know anything much on either team but i do know that this could possibly be one of the best games in the state this weekend.
Mayfield.
Not gonna say I am unbiased but I will post info I have tommrow, its too late 4 me 2nite. Same district and winner is district winner. Crittenden swept Mayfield last year and it was their first ever win against Mayfield. Crittenden returns 18 starters from that team. The other big dog out west is Beechwood and Bwood will have to travel west this year
Finally, a measuring stick game for Crittenden County. I understand that they return a heck of a lot of talent from last seasons team but I do think Mayfield takes this one by a touchdown.

Best of luck to both!
I really don't know how good Crit County is. The majority of their schedule is loaded with losing records and winless teams. But they have handled the task at hand beating everyone by 20+ points. This could be a good game, or Mayfield could win by 21+. This is a pretty big game because it's likely one of these teams will face either Beechwood or Bellevue later down the road.
How's Crits pass rush and pass defense? That may make a difference in this game.
Crit lacks great speed but has average speed but their MO is their lineplay. They return everyone from a line that just whipped Mayfield's line badly last year. They have 1 real go to guy in their all everything QB JD GRay who holds rushing and passing records at the school. He got behind his line last year and Mayfield had fits stopping him. Outside of that they are very average but very well coached and with that many starters back they are experienced. Their coach has won 1 or 2 state titles. I think he won 1 at Caldwell Co and I know he won one at Crittenden in like the late 80's or early 90's. Mayfield's speed will be a problem for CC but the question is how will Mayfield's line play hold up against a team that whipped them badly last year. I think Mayfield is assumed to have the upper hand here but I think that might be because we are Mayfield with the tradition.

BLACKCATALUM My favorite pro team is the Dolphins, has been since I was 5. My fav college team is UK followed by Bama. I am guessing the same goes 4 u
Crits pass defense is believed to be their Achiles heel and a strength of Mayfield that was not a strength last year for the Cards. I expect that to be a big area of attack by Mayfield
I look for the Cards to win this one big. I just don't see CC being able to stop all the speed that Mayfield has. Shut down Gray and you win big. I look for a lot of Johnathon Jackson on Gray, he's a freshman but he doesn't play like one. Mayfield is more battle tested and Joe has revenge on his mind.
MHS by 2+ td's, revenge for last years loss is all they are thinking about, but if they come in big headed it may go down to the wire with CCHS on the winning side of the score board
CC by 10
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Crit lacks great speed but has average speed but their MO is their lineplay. They return everyone from a line that just whipped Mayfield's line badly last year. They have 1 real go to guy in their all everything QB JD GRay who holds rushing and passing records at the school. He got behind his line last year and Mayfield had fits stopping him. Outside of that they are very average but very well coached and with that many starters back they are experienced. Their coach has won 1 or 2 state titles. I think he won 1 at Caldwell Co and I know he won one at Crittenden in like the late 80's or early 90's. Mayfield's speed will be a problem for CC but the question is how will Mayfield's line play hold up against a team that whipped them badly last year. I think Mayfield is assumed to have the upper hand here but I think that might be because we are Mayfield with the tradition.

BLACKCATALUM My favorite pro team is the Dolphins, has been since I was 5. My fav college team is UK followed by Bama. I am guessing the same goes 4 u

Thats a negative on Coach Starnes winning a state championship you said he won 1 or 2, he has never won a state championship with Crittenden and he never coached at Caldwell County .

Crittenden's only state championship came in 1985 when they beat Paintsville 14-6.

Crittenden never was able to get past Mayfield until last year when they beat them TWICE in one year. Crittenden has more returning startes and their O-line and D-line is better than Mayfield.

Crittenden 21 Mayfield 17
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:BLACKCATALUM My favorite pro team is the Dolphins, has been since I was 5. My fav college team is UK followed by Bama. I am guessing the same goes 4 u

I'm a Dolphins fan first, but I also like the Bengals.

Not many 'Phin fans are on here.
[quote=mmafan]Thats a negative on Coach Starnes winning a state championship you said he won 1 or 2, he has never won a state championship with Crittenden and he never coached at Caldwell County .

Crittenden's only state championship came in 1985 when they beat Paintsville 14-6.

Correct, I got former coach Pat Gates who won that title a Crittenden then moved on to Caldwell County mixed up. Al Statnes, the current Crittenden coach is high reguarded in WKY though.
mmafan Wrote:Crittenden never was able to get past Mayfield until last year when they beat them TWICE in one year. Crittenden has more returning startes and their O-line and D-line is better than Mayfield.

Crittenden 21 Mayfield 17

I think the Bottle Rockets will have problems with Cardinal speed and athleticism. Mayfield has worked out the problems from a year ago and the stars are back in their normal alignment in the heavens now.
This is gonna be a heck of a 1a matchup. If ACS wasn't playing this week, this would be the game I would wanna go to. I'm predicting Mayfield winning by one score. Both teams are just too good for there to be a double-digit victory for either team in this game.
I hate to say this, but I think it will depend to some extent on the officiating crew - if they call it real close, I think it will help Crit. If they let 'em bump and shiver a bit, it favors Mayfield. By my thinking, the home field advantage and emotion should be worth 1-2 TD's to CC. Not saying they will win, but that should help keep it close.
Sounds like regardless of the outcome these 2 teams likely meet up again a few weeks down the road.
Is the kid from Critt going to be out? Is he out for the season?
Mayfield by 22
Mayfield by two touchdowns.
Here is a link to a CC football fan site. They just posted an interview with Coach Morris today.

Link: http://crittendencountyrockets.blogspot.com/
<SCRIPT language=javascript>if (getCookie("HideSigs") != 1) {document.writeln('');} </SCRIPT>
Coach Starnes will have the Rockets ready for this one. They want a rematch
with Beechwood down the road but first things first, beat Mayfield. I like Crittenden.
This one should be very close. Mayfield has more speed and offensive weapons, but Crittenden has homefield and they are a very disciplined and fundamentaly sound team that has demonstrated the ability to play very stingy defense. Crittenden is somewhat untested to date whereas Mayfield has already demonstrated the ability to win against very good competition. The Rockets won the battle up front last year and as a result won the game, but Mayfield's line play is much improved this year and they are winning because of it. This is gonna be one heckuva ballgame.
wonder if all this rain tonight is making Crittenden sleep better, I am sure they are glad to see it
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:wonder if all this rain tonight is making Crittenden sleep better, I am sure they are glad to see it

not if they remember what they witnessed when they came down a few weeks ago when Mayfield played in the rain.