Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 36 Lewis County 20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final
Not very good defense tonight for the devils they're going to have to play better defense next week.
I think Travis Jones is a very good running back but I'm starting to think his father is calling the plays just to get his TD and rushing stats up. I noticed Jessie White was doing all the blocking and Will Rice running the ball well but every time they get close to the endzone now they feed Travis the ball. Its okay to pad your son's stats if you've coached that long but we even seem more predictable than past years now that Travis is getting the ball 80%+ of the carries. It will be interesting if we get to play another well coached team this year to see if they can stop Travis. He is a hard nose kid and I'm glad he is on our side but maybe we could mix it up a little more and be even more successful??
I thought Brandon Sparks ran the offense just fine tonight. Once again a strange move to pull the senior out of the game with so much time left? Give the poor kid a break and let him play. I'm guessing they're back to Cooper for the start next week? I wonder what the Kentucky record is for most QB's playing in one game? Maybe we should go for the record next week?
Congrats Russell
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I thought Brandon Sparks ran the offense just fine tonight. Once again a strange move to pull the senior out of the game with so much time left? Give the poor kid a break and let him play. I'm guessing they're back to Cooper for the start next week? I wonder what the Kentucky record is for most QB's playing in one game? Maybe we should go for the record next week?

I still say we need to go to the Wildcat formation snapping it directly to Travis Jones. :biggrin:
I didn't see Lee Marr or Patrick Cooper play tonight. Anyone know their status?
ryanparker Wrote:I still say we need to go to the Wildcat formation snapping it directly to Travis Jones. :biggrin:

Good point. That way we could play with 10 and rest up Cooper and Dehoff and keep them fresh for defense. It looks like they may need to be fresh next week.
ryanparker Wrote:I didn't see Lee Marr or Patrick Cooper play tonight. Anyone know their status?

I think Marr had the flu all week and was still sick tonight and Cooper is our with a head injury but do back next Monday.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:Good point. That way we could play with 10 and rest up Cooper and Dehoff and keep them fresh for defense. It looks like they may need to be fresh next week.

The secondary was definitely missing something tonight.
ryanparker Wrote:The secondary was definitely missing something tonight.

I agree that there was some blown coverage but I also think the D line was getting knocked around. Seems like some of their bigger kids are standing on the sideline while the defense is on the field. They may need to at least rotate some of the bigger kids in the game on defense.
Good for LC...way to play Russell tough. Hang in there...looks like you got it going in a positive direction. Does Corky call the offense?
Congrats Russell.
Russell's offense was solid. Jones had 13 carries for over 200 yards. Will Rice had 9 carries for 145. Russell's time of possession was only 9 minutes and 30 seconds.

Russell's defense was horrible. Better find a way to tighten up the pass coverage.
Lewis Co. 8 0 6 6 20

Russell 15 0 7 14 36

Scoring summary:
L--Kilgore 12 pass from Cooper (Kilgore pass from Cooper); R--Jones 22 run (Locey kick); R--Jones 24 run (run failed); L--Cooper 4 run (run failed); R--Jones 1 run (Locey kick); R--Jones 72 run (Locey kick); R--Rice 58 run (Locey kick); L--Kilgore 17 pass from Cooper (pass failed).
Records: Russell 6-3, Lewis Co. 2-6.

Kentucky.com
FBALL Wrote:Russell's offense was solid. Jones had 13 carries for over 200 yards. Will Rice had 9 carries for 145. Russell's time of possession was only 9 minutes and 30 seconds.

Russell's defense was horrible. Better find a way to tighten up the pass coverage.

Some blown coverage but also a lot of yards from Lewis up the middle. Morris was calling a lot of blitzes to try and stop the yard game and then they would counter with a pass. That's the significance of a balanced offense - even from a relatively weak team. I give LC a lot of credit, they looked really small but played Russell pretty even. A lot closer game that the score indicated.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:Some blown coverage but also a lot of yards from Lewis up the middle. Morris was calling a lot of blitzes to try and stop the yard game and then they would counter with a pass. That's the significance of a balanced offense - even from a relatively weak team. I give LC a lot of credit, they looked really small but played Russell pretty even. A lot closer game that the score indicated.

Lewis County was bigger than Russell.
Nice win for the Devils in some sloppy playing conditions. Get that D tightened up during practice this week and go out and take car of those Rams!
Good showing from Lewis County, may you continue to improve.
Russell with beat everyone
FBALL Wrote:Lewis County was bigger than Russell.

I don't buy that for the 11 on 11. Russell is smaller than most teams this year, that is why you have to get creative as coaches and be flexible enough to change your strategy. I guess this is why Russell goes Wing T left at times instead of the standard Wing T right - Pretty tricky Ivan and coach Jones, pretty tricky FBall. :Cheerlead
youdroppedsomething Wrote:Russell with beat everyone

This site uses English Bro. What did this post mean?
RedDevil1981 Wrote:This site uses English Bro. What did this post mean?

He or she has posted some off the wall predictions in other threads as well.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I don't buy that for the 11 on 11. Russell is smaller than most teams this year, that is why you have to get creative as coaches and be flexible enough to change your strategy. I guess this is why Russell goes Wing T left at times instead of the standard Wing T right - Pretty tricky Ivan and coach Jones, pretty tricky FBall. :Cheerlead

Wing T left? Goodness that could almost be classified as magic, couldn't? Or should we just put it in the category of trickery? With that kind of play calling from Coach Jones he is going to need to pick up the motto, "Now you see me...now you don't!!" :thatsfunn
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I don't buy that for the 11 on 11. Russell is smaller than most teams this year, that is why you have to get creative as coaches and be flexible enough to change your strategy. I guess this is why Russell goes Wing T left at times instead of the standard Wing T right - Pretty tricky Ivan and coach Jones, pretty tricky FBall. :Cheerlead
You don't have to buy it. I was standing on the Lewis County sideline and they have a bigger team than Russell. Not better athletes but bigger. Number 12 for Lewis County is a hoss.

Russell is not a big team. They are really very small.
FBALL Wrote:You don't have to buy it. I was standing on the Lewis County sideline and they have a bigger team than Russell. Not better athletes but bigger. Number 12 for Lewis County is a hoss.

Russell is not a big team. They are really very small.

Did you go to their sideline when it looked like they were going to get the upset? FBall... I thought you were a True Russell fan. I thought I also saw you on the Ashland side line come to think of it. :dontthink
RedDevil1981 Wrote:Did you go to their sideline when it looked like they were going to get the upset? FBall... I thought you were a True Russell fan. I thought I also saw you on the Ashland side line come to think of it. :dontthink

No I was down there for the entire first half. No,I was not on the Ashland sideline but I was on the Fleming County sideline. Where I watch the game from has nothing to do with my allegiance. You have to be joking.
Not bad considering time of possession but the defense looked pretty bad. Gotta shore that up. Sparks did well. Didn't throw as good as normal but ran the offense well. Not one bootleg run for him though???? My disappointment is there was no "fire" from the devils. Did not act like they were into the game at all. Gotta be better to beat Raceland.
Wow, i Can't believe no one is talking about how well LC played. they went out there and never thought one time that just because they were playing Russell that they had to lay down like some other LC teams have done in the past. Way to fight guys, do this next week and you'll find yourselves in the playoffs for the frist time since 1994. #12 from LC is Codi "Beaver" Lewis and yes he is truly a hoss, as a matter of fact, this is his first year playing FB, couldnt tell could ya Russell fans?