Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region Volleyball Tournament.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On Monday, October 19, all 8 teams are playing. At the Paintsville Elementary School at 6:30p.m., Belfry takes on Pikeville and 30 minutes after, Betsy Lane plays Johnson Central. At the High School gym on Monday, 6:30 p.m., Paintsville goes against East Ridge and 30 minutes after, Phelps takes on Allen Central. After that all matches are at the High School. The semi-finals will be played on Tuesday, October 20 at 6:30p.m., with the winner of the Belfry/Pikeville match taking on the winner of the Johnson Central/Betsy Lane match then 30 minutes later, the winner of the East Ridge/Paintsville match will play the winner of the Allen Central/Phelps match. No matches on Wednesday and the championship is scheduled for Thurday, October 22 at 6:30 p.m. at the High School.
So for the most part, most have already picked the winner of this region but there is a team that could step up and turn some heads. I have heard it all season long from different coach's throughout the region. JC can and should be a strong team. This team has the talent and the ability to be a top team in this region. Like I stated earlier numerous coach's in the region have stated that them selves. Most of those coach's just don't see them playing team ball. This team needs to get on board together and play as a team and get rid of the boundaries they have placed on themselves. #14 and #9 have the height to be great MB and #9 even has the talent to play some OH. #3 and #12 are two of the better setters I have seen but #3 needs to reward everyone on the team and not just #20. Don't get me wrong #3 is a good setter but the few games I have seen, she seems to focus on #20. If I can pick this out just by watching a few games, then imagine what the teams they are playing against pick up on. There is other OH's like #17 and #18 who if given the chance can really help JC and in the past have proven themselves.

I think, however, there is more to this team than just the boundaries they have set on themselves Confusedhh: but the boundaries the coaching staff has sat on the team and caused within this team. The coaches have their picks and their rotation and regardless of what needs to be done or should be done they will stand by that. It's pretty bad that you keep a rotation in play when you are playing a rival school or a top team and the game is tight. These coaches make the rotations anyway and end up losing their edge, momentum and steam. That was obvious in the Belfry vs. JC game. JC came out blazing the first set only to lose the last 2 and the game. It seemed like when JC started making a game out of it with the team they had on the floor, the coach’s threw their rotation in and that cost JC their momentum and game.

JC has a lot of hidden talent and can be among the tops in the region, the questions are, can they pull together and play as a team, can they merge or get rid of their boundaries, and will the coaching staff continue the insufficient rotations and get rid of the "coach's picks" or will JC find a coach who can lead these girls :please: ???
Too late to make any changes now. Good Luck and safe playing to all the teams!
Have seen JC, BL, AC, BHS, and PIkeville. None are more talented than JC. I will give the edge to AC for tourney experience. Would like to see Betsy Layne win it all. We played them 4 times this year, and were total sportswomen.

Good luck to all!
Allen Central advances to the semi-finals to play East Ridge by beating Phelps 2-0 but it was a rocky first game. The Rebels barely pulled off a game one win 25 - 23. Ac basically out-played the Hornets in game two and beat them 25 - 6.

The other matches, Belfry hung on to beat Pikeville 2 - 1 and Betsy Lane won their match against Johnson Central 2 - 1. East Ridge took a tough one from Painstville 2 - 0.

So, at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday Belfry takes on Betsy Lane and Allen Central plays East Ridge in the semi- finals.
So I agree, as for this year there isn't time for change but what about the results from last night. I am by no means taking anything away from BL they played hard and came out the victors. However, back to my other statement where I spoke of the coach's rotations and their picks; did that not help lead to the debacle of JC losing that 3rd set? And I'll give props to the coach's for the respect of the SR class and letting them play out their last game but at what cost to the rest of the team. Simply put, they cost their girls the game. In a time where your strongest players needed to be on the court, to try to pull out a win, the coach's had them on the bench because they are so stuck on their rotations. However, in a game like last nights game, where the loser goes home and subs could have been and should have been made for the good of the team; those subs were never made. If good subs were made then just maybe JC would have pulled out a win. Like I said, I'll give them props for somewhat respecting their SR class but the better players were on the bench during the decisive set of the match. Not only did this bone head mistake tick off the fans but JC players were obviously enraged as well. :devilflam. The fans and other teams that were watching this game couldn't figure out what the JC coaching staff was doing or trying to prove. :redboxer: To me all the coaching staff proved is that they threw in their :igiveup:.

Now, as for the coach’s picks, there were some girls for JC that were never rotated out and played the entire game. Much like the bone head rotations, these players also helped in this losing effort. One girl had about 90% of her kill attempts blocked right back to her and when she played on the back row BL purposely tried to serve her way. All year long opposing teams have picked this type of play out on JC and they used that to their advantage when they played against JC.

JC will have a great core come next year since they are only losing 2 SR’s. Like stated by others in their post, JC has the talent and might be considered the most talented team. I feel like they should stand out in their District and should be in the tops of this region. They have the talent and the core is in place but back to what I stated in my previous post :

“JC can and should be a strong team. This team has the talent and the ability to be a top team in this region. Like I stated earlier numerous coach's in the region have stated that them selves. Most of those coach's just don't see them playing team ball. This team needs to get on board together and play as a team and get rid of the boundaries they have placed on themselves.

I think, however, there is more to this team than just the boundaries they have set on themselves but the boundaries the coaching staff has sat on the team and caused within this team. The coaches have their picks and their rotation and regardless of what needs to be done or should be done they will stand by that. It's pretty bad that you keep a rotation in play when you are playing a rival school or a top team and the game is tight. These coaches make the rotations anyway and end up losing their edge, momentum and steam.

JC has a lot of hidden talent and can be among the tops in the region, the questions are, can they pull together and play as a team, can they merge or get rid of their boundaries, and will the coaching staff continue the insufficient rotations and get rid of the "coach's picks" or will JC find a coach who can lead these girls ???”

We’ll see how it all plays out but there are changes that have to be made! Again, I commend all the girls for their hard work and I in fact have high hopes for JC come next season.
In the first semi-final game the Ladycats of Betsy Layne beat the Lady Pirates of Belfry 2-1. The Pirates took the first set and the Ladycats took the final two sets. The Ladycats will face the winner of East Ridge-Allen Central in the 15th Region Finals.

Have to give it up for the pep section for Betsy Layne; in volleyball you hardly see a large crowd but Betsy Layne brought many fans, even had a fan bus. Should be fun Thursday night!!
Allen Central beat East Ridge 2-0

25-19,25-22
Thursday night a rematch of the 54th District championship for a bigger prize, the regional championship. Way to represent Floyd County! This will be a great final and it will be highly contested. Betsy Layne was runner-up last year to Belfry, so they have the experience in regional championship play. Good luck to both teams, but best of luck to the Ladycats!
this will be a great game to watch... good luck AC.....
Go Rebels!!!!!!
With this particular matchup, its a battle of desire. This is similar to the 15th region basketball tourney a few years back when AC and south floyd played and AC was the district champ and south floyd was the runner up. SF wanted it more and emerged victorious. The Rebels have to be motivated and come out and display their desire to win because you know the district runners up will. Good luck Rebs!!!
Betsy Layne played very well Tuesday night against Belfry. Allen Central did not play so well against Eastridge. If Allen Central wants a Regional win, they will have to step up in order to do so. Betsy Layne acts like they have more desire to win than Allen Central. Good luck to both teams. It should be an exciting game to watch.
I think Betsy Lane wins it in 3 sets.
game-set-match Wrote:So I agree, as for this year there isn't time for change but what about the results from last night. I am by no means taking anything away from BL they played hard and came out the victors. However, back to my other statement where I spoke of the coach's rotations and their picks; did that not help lead to the debacle of JC losing that 3rd set? And I'll give props to the coach's for the respect of the SR class and letting them play out their last game but at what cost to the rest of the team. Simply put, they cost their girls the game. In a time where your strongest players needed to be on the court, to try to pull out a win, the coach's had them on the bench because they are so stuck on their rotations. However, in a game like last nights game, where the loser goes home and subs could have been and should have been made for the good of the team; those subs were never made. If good subs were made then just maybe JC would have pulled out a win. Like I said, I'll give them props for somewhat respecting their SR class but the better players were on the bench during the decisive set of the match. Not only did this bone head mistake tick off the fans but JC players were obviously enraged as well. :devilflam. The fans and other teams that were watching this game couldn't figure out what the JC coaching staff was doing or trying to prove. :redboxer: To me all the coaching staff proved is that they threw in their :igiveup:.

Now, as for the coach’s picks, there were some girls for JC that were never rotated out and played the entire game. Much like the bone head rotations, these players also helped in this losing effort. One girl had about 90% of her kill attempts blocked right back to her and when she played on the back row BL purposely tried to serve her way. All year long opposing teams have picked this type of play out on JC and they used that to their advantage when they played against JC.

JC will have a great core come next year since they are only losing 2 SR’s. Like stated by others in their post, JC has the talent and might be considered the most talented team. I feel like they should stand out in their District and should be in the tops of this region. They have the talent and the core is in place but back to what I stated in my previous post :

“JC can and should be a strong team. This team has the talent and the ability to be a top team in this region. Like I stated earlier numerous coach's in the region have stated that them selves. Most of those coach's just don't see them playing team ball. This team needs to get on board together and play as a team and get rid of the boundaries they have placed on themselves.

I think, however, there is more to this team than just the boundaries they have set on themselves but the boundaries the coaching staff has sat on the team and caused within this team. The coaches have their picks and their rotation and regardless of what needs to be done or should be done they will stand by that. It's pretty bad that you keep a rotation in play when you are playing a rival school or a top team and the game is tight. These coaches make the rotations anyway and end up losing their edge, momentum and steam.

JC has a lot of hidden talent and can be among the tops in the region, the questions are, can they pull together and play as a team, can they merge or get rid of their boundaries, and will the coaching staff continue the insufficient rotations and get rid of the "coach's picks" or will JC find a coach who can lead these girls ???”

We’ll see how it all plays out but there are changes that have to be made! Again, I commend all the girls for their hard work and I in fact have high hopes for JC come next season.

Sounds like to me game-set-match that you are trying to put the blame on the seniors for losing the game which I think is a bunch of crap. The senior girls played their hearts out and are GREAT GIRLS and will be missed very much next year due to the fact that they are big assets to the team. I do agree that JC has a great group of girls on the bench but who would you suggest to replace the seniors? I also agree that #20 gets to many kill attempts and JC should of got the ball to #9.
AC didn't play all of thier starters all of the time ,sometimes others need to get in the game too!
Who decides who gets on the all tourny team and when are they told to the schools?
cougarpride08 Wrote:I think Betsy Lane wins it in 3 sets.

If BL wins the first two there won't be a third game ??
cats5 Wrote:Sounds like to me game-set-match that you are trying to put the blame on the seniors for losing the game which I think is a bunch of crap. The senior girls played their hearts out and are GREAT GIRLS and will be missed very much next year due to the fact that they are big assets to the team. I do agree that JC has a great group of girls on the bench but who would you suggest to replace the seniors? I also agree that #20 gets to many kill attempts and JC should of got the ball to #9.

It is always better to set to different hitters. Setting to the same teammate makes it easy for the opponent to prepare for block or dig. BL knew exactly where the ball was going and prevented the kills. I think the setter or coach needs to decide who gets the set instead of the player calling for it every play which also told BL who was getting the ball. Setters need to signal their hitters and call the plays, I didnt see or hear any from JC's setter.
cats5 Wrote:Sounds like to me game-set-match that you are trying to put the blame on the seniors for losing the game which I think is a bunch of crap. The senior girls played their hearts out and are GREAT GIRLS and will be missed very much next year due to the fact that they are big assets to the team. I do agree that JC has a great group of girls on the bench but who would you suggest to replace the seniors? I also agree that #20 gets to many kill attempts and JC should of got the ball to #9.

Sorry cats5, I think you took what I wrote the wrong way or just completely misunderstood it; I don’t know if the common saying of “you are way out in left field” would even begin to sum up how far off you are on this one :dontthink. And actually, if you will take the time, go back and read my original post you would see that I spoke well of those two seniors. So to me, you thinking that I was placing the blame on the seniors is a bunch of crap :redboxer:. Obviously, you hadn't read the other post and jumped the gun when you read/replied to this one. I am sure they are great girls, I don’t know them or anything about them as individiuals, but I know they played their hearts out. That was obvious through out the game. However, if you will re-read my post you should be able to figure out where I am placing the blame and it isn't on the seniors or really any of the girls on the team. The girls didn't throw up their white flags but based on what I saw and what others saw, it's easy to pick out who did and I am pretty sure I clearly stated that as well. The girls on the team have nothing to do with how the rotation is conducted, the subs that are made, when the subs are made or who the staff's picks are. And as far as replacing the seniors, that won't happen! That will be two gaps that will be hard to fill but I think the better question there is “who will step up come next season?" Again, JC does have a great group of girls and probably the most talent in their district/region and should be among the top teams but it all goes back to the questions I asked at the end of my first post and then copied into the post you just replied to (JC has a lot of hidden talent and can be among the tops in the region, the questions are, can they pull together and play as a team, can they merge or get rid of their boundaries, and will the coaching staff continue the insufficient rotations and get rid of the "coach's picks" or will JC find a coach who can lead these girls ???”). As for your last statement, I do agree about #20 receiving to many attempts and I feel she is way to predictable but I feel like #17 and #18(SR) should have gotten more sets/attempts and as for as that particular game and the way #9 was playing during that particular game; they should have went to her more.
LADY REBS..............LET"S ROLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap:
I think it will turn out to be a great game. These are two of the toughest teams in the region and these two teams played a heck of game against each other in the 54th District Tournament. Let's see if BL has another big pep section like they did against Belfry the other night. Pep sections can make a big difference in a game and BL gained a lot of momentum with that win. With that momentum and the chip on their shoulder from the 54th DT, they may pull out the win. This should be a great and exciting regional championship game with two tough, great teams. I think this one could go either way. Good Luck to both teams!
AC WINS 2-0 I don't remember the score of the first match but the second was 26-24 whale of a game to bad someone had to lose.
Pressure Pressure Pressure...... that was the deciding factor
Congrats AC on winning being the 15th region champs.. good luck at state girls.. GO AC!!!!!!
Rebels are the first to ever win this championship from floyd co! noone can ever take that away!!! Way to go girls and coaches!
CONGRATS AC
Keep your heads up BL..................should be strong NEXT SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Way to go AC!!! Good Luck at state!!!

These two teams had great years and represented our 54th district well. :Thumbs:
These teams matched up for that championship and then this 15th regional championship and there is very good chance they'll do that very same thing next season.
:rockon:

54th District is on the rise! Watch out for these two teams and SF next season.
I think Betsy layne could have won the district and the region tournament if their had been some changes made on the team and their should have been some subs made during the final games. But i guess thats why i am not a coach i couldn't let good players just sit on the bench.
I'm confused as to who your're referring to bobcatfan8, when you say that good players were left sitting on the bench in those final games. I'm pretty sure that the BL coaches had the best players, in their opinion, on the floor at that time...they finished 25-10 on the season (only losing to 4 different teams in those 10 losses). If you watched BL's whole season you'll see that throughout the year only 9 different players were played in their varsity games...in the district and region finals, 8 of these 9 players played...unless you're referring to that 1 player that did not get to play, i dont know who else you can possibly be referring to
Pages: 1 2