Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland Kittens Preseason number one in Cats Pause
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ashland, Rowan and East Carter are once again at the top of the heap in the region. Katelyn Connor ranked number one player. Should be a very competitive year in the 16th.
I don't put much stock into these rankings.
Be hard pressed to put anyone ahead of Connor. Team-wise could be a very good race.
I love that mascot the kittens lol
Connor has improved tremendously. She had a great AAU season and has had some D-1 looks. Ashland's Dietrich was also ranked in the top ten. Ashland will be tough to beat, but I am sure East and Rowan will have a plan for Bradley's Kittens.
Its been the same story in the 16th for the past three or four years. These three teams (Ashland, Rowan, East) are always pre-season 1,2,and 3. Rowan has won the region the last two years pretty convincingly and both times started out the season not #1. Im sensing some Deja Vu. . . .again. IMO its Rowan's region to lose until someone can dethrone them. However, Ashland is a good team and do have a very talented big girl. But, in girls basketball i would rather have a team of quick guards than anything. Hence the reason for Rowan's success. Should be an interesting year between the two teams, but thats it. These are the only two teams in the region that can be competitive with one another.
I'd like to see someone other than Rowan represent the 16th. Go Kittens.:Thumbs:
According to Cats pause 2008-09 Rowan County was ranked #1 and Leslie Eagle was #1 player in pre season. Ashland was ranked second with two players in the top ten. I agree the 16th belongs to Rowan until someone knocks them off. East was the only team in the 16th to beat them last season and Ashland would love to hang a 16th region banner. Should make for some exciting games this season.
Steve Kuberski Wrote:Ashland, Rowan and East Carter are once again at the top of the heap in the region. Katelyn Connor ranked number one player. Should be a very competitive year in the 16th.

Agree.
Dfenz Wrote:Its been the same story in the 16th for the past three or four years. These three teams (Ashland, Rowan, East) are always pre-season 1,2,and 3. Rowan has won the region the last two years pretty convincingly and both times started out the season not #1. Im sensing some Deja Vu. . . .again. IMO its Rowan's region to lose until someone can dethrone them. However, Ashland is a good team and do have a very talented big girl. But, in girls basketball i would rather have a team of quick guards than anything. Hence the reason for Rowan's success. Should be an interesting year between the two teams, but thats it. These are the only two teams in the region that can be competitive with one another.

I thought Rowan was more dominant last year than the year before. They won all three games in the Regionals by 20 points. The year before , they struggled against Morgan Co. in the regular season and had a good game with them in the Regionals. In the finals, they won by 2 points over Ashland in a very exciting game. The region is Rowan Co.'s to lose. Should be a great 16th.
If West and Russell can get solid guard play they could be a factor. Raceland will make some noise. And I agree; seems like a lot of people are picking against Rowan, HOPINGthey're down again. Got 5 of their top 8 or 6 of their top 9, something like that, back. Hard to see where Ashland will get points other than Connor and East won't have a 5'11" or 6'0" girl to throw it into the post to for the first time in several years. It will be interesting for sure!
Rowan and Ashland will also both have excellent depth. Solid starters, very good role players, and are both well coached.

East will have something to say, and after that, there are probably four or five more teams that can beat you on a given night.
Ashland is the deepest team in the region imo.
I don't think there is much argument to be made, Maroon.

You could probably take Ashland's second five and end up with a decent Won/Lost record. They will have three or four girls that don't start, that would be in the mix for a lot of teams.
Rowan has won this this region 3 of the last 5 years, they also lost in 2007. So this means that have been in the regional title game every season but one since 2004

It is theyre region to lose, they bring back several good players, and will always have a huge home court advantage, as the region is in morehead.

Ashland is the deepest team.
Rowan is the biggest, someone said the other day, that they have 3 players at the 5'10" range and one girl around 6'2"..They also have great guard play coming back.
Ashland will indeed be very good. But, I'm wondering where all the "depth" came from? They didn't play very many kids last year; 7 maybe? Three of those graduated. East Carter played around 9, as did Rowan, 10 minutes or more per game and both have 7 of those kids coming back. Both played only sophomores and freshman on the JV squad and had very nice records and beat Ashland's JV. It looks to be a 3 team race; however, I'm not convinced Ashland has enough scoring to complement Connor inside to be the heavy favorite some would have us believe. Add to that a relatively weak schedule and I believe it is much competitive than some think. They could always prove me wrong!
HD28 Wrote:Ashland will indeed be very good. But, I'm wondering where all the "depth" came from? They didn't play very many kids last year; 7 maybe? Three of those graduated. East Carter played around 9, as did Rowan, 10 minutes or more per game and both have 7 of those kids coming back. Both played only sophomores and freshman on the JV squad and had very nice records and beat Ashland's JV. It looks to be a 3 team race; however, I'm not convinced Ashland has enough scoring to complement Connor inside to be the heavy favorite some would have us believe. Add to that a relatively weak schedule and I believe it is much competitive than some think. They could always prove me wrong!

You make some good points, HD. When I talk about Ashland's depth, I'm saying that Ashland returns not only three key varsity players (Connors, Hanners, Dietrich), but also the impact players that move into starting time and role playing spots from both the JV and Freshman teams. They have some very solid players in the younger groups, that can (and will) have something to say about the outcome of varsity games this season.

I think we are basically saying the same thing, in terms of how the Region will play out. I'm not crowning Ashland - not until they earn it. Rowan will definitely be a power, as they have been for the last half decade. I think East will be in the mix, but I do think they are a bit behind Ashland and Rowan.

All three of those teams will be the co-favorites, but any one of them can be beaten by the other two - or someone else may step up as the season goes along.
I agree with you. I have seen the teams west of Ashland more than the 64th district. Rowan, for instance, returns 2 starters, 1 who has been all region twice I believe (Kissinger). Hanners is a big body but I haven't seen her contribute much. Connor is a horse inside; that being said I question their outside shooting with the graduation of Strait and Wilcox (around 3000 pts for career?) I predict Ashland will see a lot of zone. Rowan had 2 nice freshmen last year, one a point guard and the other a tall kid that shot it pretty good. East has a nice kid named Parsons that will play a lot to go with Easterling and Marshall, who I personally believe has the potential to be very good this year. If Ashland can find a reliable scorer besides Connor, they will be a load. I agree that we are agreeing; I would just like to know more about the supporting cast for Ashland!
Ashland should be the favorite to win the region. Connor, is a D1 prospect. Hanners is much improved. Dietrich is a great point guard. Lever, solid defensively and a respectable mid range jumper. Gambill is the purest shooter in the region. Farris, one of the regions elite athletes. The Jones sisters will contribute as well. Heaberlin is really improving as well. If parents stay out of Bradley's Pepe Lapew Hair, then the Kittens should be competing in Bowling Green.
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:Ashland should be the favorite to win the region. Connor, is a D1 prospect. Hanners is much improved. Dietrich is a great point guard. Lever, solid defensively and a respectable mid range jumper. Gambill is the purest shooter in the region. Farris, one of the regions elite athletes. The Jones sisters will contribute as well. Heaberlin is really improving as well. If parents stay out of Bradley's Pepe Lapew Hair, then the Kittens should be competing in Bowling Green.

Dang....they might go undefeated!
HD28 Wrote:I agree with you. I have seen the teams west of Ashland more than the 64th district. Rowan, for instance, returns 2 starters, 1 who has been all region twice I believe (Kissinger). Hanners is a big body but I haven't seen her contribute much. Connor is a horse inside; that being said I question their outside shooting with the graduation of Strait and Wilcox (around 3000 pts for career?) I predict Ashland will see a lot of zone. Rowan had 2 nice freshmen last year, one a point guard and the other a tall kid that shot it pretty good. East has a nice kid named Parsons that will play a lot to go with Easterling and Marshall, who I personally believe has the potential to be very good this year. If Ashland can find a reliable scorer besides Connor, they will be a load. I agree that we are agreeing; I would just like to know more about the supporting cast for Ashland!

i do see what you are saying about proven depth but there is tons of potential depth. Hanners and gambill both can hit the three consistantly and with Farris's speed and good leadership and play at the point, the top 6 i feel are somewhat proven and provide for great rolls on the team around connor. They will be a tough win to get for any team. But as for 7 8 9 i can see where you need to see more. be patient though, those younger girls got some game in them also.
Rowan Co defeats Ashland in late march for the Regional title game.

back to back to back regional championships for the lady vikings.
Maroon Truth Wrote:i do see what you are saying about proven depth but there is tons of potential depth. Hanners and gambill both can hit the three consistantly and with Farris's speed and good leadership and play at the point, the top 6 i feel are somewhat proven and provide for great rolls on the team around connor. They will be a tough win to get for any team. But as for 7 8 9 i can see where you need to see more. be patient though, those younger girls got some game in them also.

I have no doubt Ashland has kids that can play. However, one thing I've noticed is that girls can typically shoot very well in a practice setting; in a game situation with good solid man to man pressure, it is often a different story. And, unless Ashland plays a lot of zone, Hanners and Connor in the game together makes for some defensive matchup nightmares. From what I saw last year, Connor and Dietrich are the only "proven" commodities, but that can be said for many of the other 16th region teams as well. It will be interesting for sure. If Rowan can replace Brockman and if East can find a post threat to replace Combs, then it could be a toss up. As far as size goes, I saw East and Rowan both in the summer; East had 3 kids in the 5'10 range and Rowan had 3 in that range, along with a 6'1 kid that looked promising. Both had very athletic, albeit young, guards as well. Dietrich is one of the 2 best points in the region along with Ferguson. In short, I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference between the top 3!
HD28 Wrote:I have no doubt Ashland has kids that can play. However, one thing I've noticed is that girls can typically shoot very well in a practice setting; in a game situation with good solid man to man pressure, it is often a different story. And, unless Ashland plays a lot of zone, Hanners and Connor in the game together makes for some defensive matchup nightmares. From what I saw last year, Connor and Dietrich are the only "proven" commodities, but that can be said for many of the other 16th region teams as well. It will be interesting for sure. If Rowan can replace Brockman and if East can find a post threat to replace Combs, then it could be a toss up. As far as size goes, I saw East and Rowan both in the summer; East had 3 kids in the 5'10 range and Rowan had 3 in that range, along with a 6'1 kid that looked promising. Both had very athletic, albeit young, guards as well. Dietrich is one of the 2 best points in the region along with Ferguson. In short, I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference between the top 3!

Good post and points. Where did you see East play at this summer?
It comes down to Rowan and Ashland IMO
Saw them play Rowan in the Aries League. Also saw them at a team camp; Eastern or Georgetown maybe? Can't recall for sure.
Russell has 5-6 solid players back.
Russell will be improved, but not a factor in the region race.
East Carter didn't play in the Aries league this year.
Any new players at Ashland?
Pages: 1 2