Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clintwood (VA) 24 - Shelby Valley 11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Clintwood ran the opening kickoff back 85 yards for a touchdown and led 14-3 at the half. The radio said SV had the ball in the redzone 6 or 7 times, but only came away with 11 points.

The radio said B.J. Roberts had 8 carries for 118 yards.
About what I figured... SV played hard but Clintwood was just a little too talented and disciplined. No shame in this loss for SV as they lose to a very good team.
Tough loss fo SV
tough loss sv, but hold your heads up, good things are coming your way :Thumbs:
wow imagine if bj would have had 6 or 7 carries in the redzone?

oh well clintwood is a great team. cant wait to see the p-burg game.
Clintwood very good team.very well coached .not a real big team.very physical and athletic
valley just couldnt adjust to there game plan.congrats clintwood,VALLEY KEEP YOUR HEADS UP.you never quit in this game be proud and keep fighting.
win or loss great showing by Valley first team all season to rush for over 100 yards on this team...Clintwood has one of the best rush Ds in the state
Sounds like SV played tough as they have all year.
Clintwood is a great team.

-They have several D-1 recruits on their team, and have one of the best defenses, I have ever seen on a small school.

-Clintwood had only had 50 points scored on them all season, and are a top 10 team in VA(a much stronger football state than KY)

-Someone also posted they are similar to Hazard or Paintsville, wrong!!! This team was more of a Bell, Belfry, Beechwood etc. they had several kids 6'3 240, at LB and DE.

-Clintwood(VA) has also lost in the state title game two straight years(2007, 2008), and have one 3 in their past.

----------
The green wave ran the opening kick-off back.

On the following kick to SV, Dillion Hughes trips over his own man, and fumbles...

from this point on, this game was a fist fight.

Im making no excuses for SV, but this was a great game, SV was the first team all season to even rush for more than 100 yards.

I promise this game will make Shelby Valley better. They may have lost, but they were in a dog fight and never, ever gave up.

They lost to a team that were one of the best coached, most disciplined, and strong teams you will find( if they were in kentuck, they would run through Class A like water)
The Iceboxx Wrote:Clintwood is a great team.

-They have several D-1 recruits on their team, and have one of the best defenses, I have ever seen on a small school.

-Clintwood had only had 50 points scored on them all season, and are a top 10 team in VA(a much stronger football state than KY)

-Someone also posted they are similar to Hazard or Paintsville, wrong!!! This team was more of a Bell, Belfry, Beechwood etc. they had several kids 6'3 240, at LB and DE.

-Clintwood(VA) has also lost in the state title game two straight years(2007, 2008), and have one 3 in their past.

----------

On the following kick to SV, Dillion Hughes trips over his own man, and fumbles...

Im making no excuses for SV, but this was a great game, SV was the first team all season to even rush for more than 100 yards.

I promise this game will make Shelby Valley better. They may have lost, but they were in a dog fight and never, ever gave up.

They lost to a team that were one of the best coached, most disciplined, and strong teams you will find( if they were in kentuck, they would run through Class A like water)

No they wouldn't. LCA, Beechwood, Fairview, Mayfield would all take care of Clintwood.
Fairview, youre nuts!!!!!

NO THEY WOULDNT!!!!

SV is a top 5 team in 2A IMO

KY football is not strong, VA football is, look at the number of 3* recruits a year outa the two states.

KY 5 a year over 3*
VA 40 a year over 3*

Want proof, of this...go watch em play
The Iceboxx Wrote:Fairview, youre nuts!!!!!

NO THEY WOULDNT!!!!

SV is a top 5 team in 2A IMO

KY football is not strong, VA football is, look at the number of 3* recruits a year outa the two states.

KY 5 a year over 3*
VA 40 a year over 3*

LoL
You're both wrong.

There's no way that Clintwood would "run through 1A like water", that's just silly.

But Fairview certainly wouldn't be the team to stop them, either.

Let's just say that SV played a very strong opponent tonight, and played them tough. A little better red zone production and the final could have been different, but they will learn from this game.
This is a game Shelby Valley needed to make them better. Sounds like they played tough. Valley is very under rated and will get the respect they deserve soon enough.
congrats to clintwood,
Valley did not play no where near their potential in this game. The "O"line struggled against a very good defensive line and the pass coverage gave up some big plays.But if you take away the opening kick-off return,a TD and conversion scored when SV turned over the ball on their 8-yard line, and the worst home field refs I have ever seen, this would have been an entirely different game. But, you know what they say about frogs having wings,too.
I played HS football for Clintwood's current head coach 20 years ago then college football after that. Football in VA holds the hearts of the communities. Stores hang signs and people come out even if they don't have a son or cheerleader on the field. Rick Mullins is upholding a long tradition of excellence at that little school. I bet they still run the 50 defense and Wishbone offense. I hated Clintwood with a passion in HS because they were good. We beat them for the first time in 18 years the last game of my senior year. Two years ago, my alma mata beat them again after another 18 year drought. Funny how now I pull for them. SV did not just play a better team - they had to deal with an entire community that stands behind that team in ways that are tough to understand here in KY.
Football1 Wrote:I played HS football for Clintwood's current head coach 20 years ago then college football after that. Football in VA holds the hearts of the communities. Stores hang signs and people come out even if they don't have a son or cheerleader on the field. Rick Mullins is upholding a long tradition of excellence at that little school. I bet they still run the 50 defense and Wishbone offense. I hated Clintwood with a passion in HS because they were good. We beat them for the first time in 18 years the last game of my senior year. Two years ago, my alma mata beat them again after another 18 year drought. Funny how now I pull for them. SV did not just play a better team - they had to deal with an entire community that stands behind that team in ways that are tough to understand here in KY.

Valley fans were saying that the visitor stands friday night, were the fullest they have ever been. More people than Belfry, Prestonsburg, or anyone. Clintwood brought more people to the game than Valley did. Great post, and SV had a really good crowd considering the weather conditions
Football1 Wrote:I played HS football for Clintwood's current head coach 20 years ago then college football after that. Football in VA holds the hearts of the communities. Stores hang signs and people come out even if they don't have a son or cheerleader on the field. Rick Mullins is upholding a long tradition of excellence at that little school. I bet they still run the 50 defense and Wishbone offense. I hated Clintwood with a passion in HS because they were good. We beat them for the first time in 18 years the last game of my senior year. Two years ago, my alma mata beat them again after another 18 year drought. Funny how now I pull for them. SV did not just play a better team - they had to deal with an entire community that stands behind that team in ways that are tough to understand here in KY.

I agree to a point but Shelby Valley is by no means one of the powerhouse programs in Eastern Kentucky. Those SW Virginia teams would have trouble competing with the powerhouse Kentucky mountain teams due to the schools in SW Virginia are generally smaller. Those teams do have a rich football tradition and a large fan base as do some of the Kentucky teams. What SW Virginia lags behind in is basketball. When you go to a basketball games in Wise, Dickinson, or Lee County Virginia you feel like you went back into the fifties with the style they play except they are not organized or fundamentally sound like teams in the fifties. Kentucky is a basketball state with a growing high school football tradition.
Didn't see where anyone said different????
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I agree to a point but Shelby Valley is by no means one of the powerhouse programs in Eastern Kentucky. Those SW Virginia teams would have trouble competing with the powerhouse Kentucky mountain teams due to the schools in SW Virginia are generally smaller. Those teams do have a rich football tradition and a large fan base as do some of the Kentucky teams. What SW Virginia lags behind in is basketball. When you go to a basketball games in Wise, Dickinson, or Lee County Virginia you feel like you went back into the fifties with the style they play except they are not organized or fundamentally sound like teams in the fifties. Kentucky is a basketball state with a growing high school football tradition.

I went to a game in Virginia one time, I think it was St. Thomas, or something like that, I was disturbed to see some of the people playing basketball for the team, and the athletic looking people who went to that HS but were just sitting in the stands. Quite shocking.
The Iceboxx Wrote:Clintwood is a great team.

----------

This post is inaccurate.

Clintwood has no D1 prospects. CW has maybe 3-4 NAIA prospects, but that is all.
CW is a top 10 VA team, for their division. Overall, CW is not in the top 25 of VA teams. Oscar Smith, Phoebus, the big schools on the coast would rail CW by 30+ points.
The Iceboxx Wrote:They lost to a team that were one of the best coached, most disciplined, and strong teams you will find( if they were in kentuck, they would run through Class A like water)

:thatsfunn

The Iceboxx Wrote:KY football is not strong, VA football is, look at the number of 3* recruits a year outa the two states.

KY 5 a year over 3*
VA 40 a year over 3*

To be fair very few of those recruits are coming out of SW Va schools, if any.

And by the way, it sounds like you are making a ton of excuses by the length and content of your posts.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I agree to a point but Shelby Valley is by no means one of the powerhouse programs in Eastern Kentucky. Those SW Virginia teams would have trouble competing with the powerhouse Kentucky mountain teams due to the schools in SW Virginia are generally smaller. Those teams do have a rich football tradition and a large fan base as do some of the Kentucky teams. What SW Virginia lags behind in is basketball. When you go to a basketball games in Wise, Dickinson, or Lee County Virginia you feel like you went back into the fifties with the style they play except they are not organized or fundamentally sound like teams in the fifties. Kentucky is a basketball state with a growing high school football tradition.
Your assessment here could not be more accurate. KY football (especially E. KY) is heavily detracted from by basketball. The UK influence has been huge. Some of the best athletes in our school do not play football due to basketball. Tanner Broughton is classic example. He was an exceptional football player in middle school - now he only plays BBall and Tennis. In SWVA, bball waits for football. Not the case here. I have coached youth football and basketball here in Knox County and it always amazes me at the parents who will not let their kids play football due to basketball. Richie Farmer hopefuls I guess. My sons play both and I encourage others to do the same.

Ofcourse Clay Counties Hooker blowing out a knee didn't help my cause one bit this year! I still hope to see more BBall players on the football field. It will only help them get stronger mentally and physically. Plus, you dont get to tackle that pesty guard when he steals the ball from you in bball - football, different story!
I was one of the many Clintwood fans at Fridays game. I am from Elkhorn City and now live in Clintwood. The green wave reminds me of the Cougars when Jack Hall was coach.. This was a great game... the field was in great shape with all the rain...S V should not let this game get them down.. Clintwood was just a better team that night...:Clap:
Football1 Wrote:Your assessment here could not be more accurate. KY football (especially E. KY) is heavily detracted from by basketball. The UK influence has been huge. Some of the best athletes in our school do not play football due to basketball. Tanner Broughton is classic example. He was an exceptional football player in middle school - now he only plays BBall and Tennis. In SWVA, bball waits for football. Not the case here. I have coached youth football and basketball here in Knox County and it always amazes me at the parents who will not let their kids play football due to basketball. Richie Farmer hopefuls I guess. My sons play both and I encourage others to do the same.

Ofcourse Clay Counties Hooker blowing out a knee didn't help my cause one bit this year! I still hope to see more BBall players on the football field. It will only help them get stronger mentally and physically. Plus, you dont get to tackle that pesty guard when he steals the ball from you in bball - football, different story!

I agree. I wished more coaches were like you. Kids are forced to make choices they shouldn't have to make. Most college athletes were multiple sport stars in high school.
Southwest Virginia , such as Clintwood , JJ. Kelly, Haysi, are not usually that good compared to the good teams in East KY. They may have been in the state game, but their system is so watered down, that it wouldn't take much to get there. Now this year's Clintwood team may be different, but I have watched them in the past, and did not find them overly impressive.
The Iceboxx Wrote:( if they were in kentuck, they would run through Class A like water)

Brother you need to get out more often and watch some other football besides Valley. Clintwood is nowhere near the level of the Beechwood's and LCA's of KY football.
OldTymer Wrote:Southwest Virginia , such as Clintwood , JJ. Kelly, Haysi, are not usually that good compared to the good teams in East KY. They may have been in the state game, but their system is so watered down, that it wouldn't take much to get there. Now this year's Clintwood team may be different, but I have watched them in the past, and did not find them overly impressive.

Who are you comparing them (teams like Clintwood) too though? If we're going with top SWVA teams, I'd go with more of the Richlands, Gate City, Clintwood, J.I. Burton, Lebanon, etc. route instead also.

And VA's system watered down? Hope that's not compared to KY's...LOL. No way that could be serious, haha.
Beamerball Wrote:Who are you comparing them (teams like Clintwood) too though? If we're going with top SWVA teams, I'd go with more of the Richlands, Gate City, Clintwood, J.I. Burton, Lebanon, etc. route instead also.

And VA's system watered down? Hope that's not compared to KY's...LOL. No way that could be serious, haha.

How many state champions do they crown in Virginia at the end of the season.
Pages: 1 2