Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Raceland 14- Fairview 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rams get a huge district win. Will be no worse than 2 seed.
Congrats Raceland
By ROCKY STANLEY — The Independent
Raceland — A water-logged field and two rock-hard defenses made life miserable for the offenses in a Class A district showdown between sixth-ranked Fairview and Raceland.

But Raceland used some halftime adjustments and a big defensive play to overtake the Eagles 14-6 on Friday night.

“That was an old-fashioned Raceland-Fairview game,’’ said Rams coach Randy Vanderhoof. “There were a lot of big hits on both sides between two evenly matched teams. Both defenses played great.’’

Limited to 75 yards offense in the first half, Raceland opened the third quarter with a 72-yard scoring drive capped by Jeremy Barr’s 1-yard dive.

“We were down 6-0 at halftime and our kids didn’t panic,’’ Vanderhoof said. “The assistant coaches made a few nice adjustments to get some confidence back with our quarterback.’’

Junior quarterback Tyler Farley, who threw five incompletions and an interception to end the first half, found success with passes to the flats at the start of the second half.

Two Fairview penalties helped pave the way for Raceland’s big drive, and wide receiver Johnny Shearer took a screen pass 20 yards to the Eagles’ 2.

Barr’s TD run and Rocky Jobe’s extra point put Raceland ahead 7-6.

The Rams’ defense took care of the rest, holding Fairview to 119 yards for the game and picking off three passes in the second half.

Raceland cornerback Daniel Jones provided the defensive highlight of the night when he intercepted Tyler Gilbert’s pass along the Fairview sideline and returned it 37 yards for a touchdown with 2:35 left in the third quarter.

“I stepped around the receiver and jumped up and caught it,’’ Jones said. “The ball started slipping through my hands, so I grabbed it real fast. Sam Hieneman made a great block and I jumped over him and coasted.’’

Jones knows his way to the end zone. He scored on an interception return against East Carter last month and also has a fumble recovery for a TD this season.

“Daniel is a great kid,’’ Vanderhoff said. “That was a big-time interception tonight in a key district game.’’

Raceland improved to 3-0 in district play and locked up a home playoff game.

“It’s definitely one of our biggest wins of the season,’’ Jones said. “The defense played great. Obviously, the field was slippery. There was a lot of sliding around.’’

Luke Bonzo and Scotty Craft made interceptions on Fairview’s next two possessions to help put the game away.

“I told the kids all week that turnovers and penalties would be keys tonight, and that’s the way it turned out,’’ said Eagles coach Nathan Holbrook. “A lot of credit goes to Raceland. We played well enough defensively to win the game, but made too many mistakes.’’

Fairview (5-2) managed only one first down in the opening half, but made it count. Gilbert’s 21-yard scoring pass to Caleb Collins with 5:04 remaining in the second quarter provided the Eagles with a 6-0 halftime lead.

The two teams combined for 12 punts and only 35 rushing yards on 31 attempts during the first half.
They could have at least got Nathan McPeeks name right.
Congratulations Rams on this big win. You worked for it and you went out and got it done!
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:They could have at least got Nathan McPeeks name right.

I would agree if he won the game. He may not mind giving all his losses to the ficticious Mr. Holbrook. JK :yikes:

Any talk about Nathan being the next Russell head coach?
Way to go Raceland, great district win.:rockon:
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I would agree if he won the game. He may not mind giving all his losses to the ficticious Mr. Holbrook. JK :yikes:

Any talk about Nathan being the next Russell head coach?

I'd be shocked if it didn't go to Coach Morris....if Morris doesn't want it then who knows, but I'd say that will be the 1st guy they go to
wow....i thought Fairview was suppose to get the #2 seed this year...guess Raceland felt differently...sorry westwood
BAck on topic!!! If Raceland has anything to do with it Fairview will never get that 2 seed! That belongs to the rams or either LCA!
flavorflav Wrote:I'd be shocked if it didn't go to Coach Morris....if Morris doesn't want it then who knows, but I'd say that will be the 1st guy they go to

I agree with you about Coach Morris but Coach McPeek would be an excellent choice also he has done really well so far in my opinion.
One note about the game thought the game was sloppy of course with both defenses dominating, Raceland made a few more plays than Fairview did. Overall, both teams are average single A teams in my opinion.