Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2009 Boys State Golf Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thoughts/predictions

The tournament tees off about 7 am today
By ROCKY STANLEY / The Independent
Greenup County’s boys golf team is daring to dream.

The Musketeers enter today’s opening round of the Leachman/KHSAA State Tournament expecting to contend for the championship at Bowling Green Country Club.

That constitutes a major leap for the hard-working program, trying to make the second-round team cut for the first time in Roger Gillum’s seven years as head coach.

“Being a public school, we always felt that was our state tournament if we could qualify for the second day,’’ Gillum said.

The objective changed this year. Greenup County regularly placed well in top invitationals and then shot 298 in winning the Region 12 title last week at Eagle Trace Golf Course in Morehead.

Only Lexington Christian’s 297 was better among the state’s regional champions.

“We’ve beaten all the other top teams in the state at least once this season,’’ Gillum said.

“I know making the second day at state is not going to make me or my players happy because we know what they are capable of doing,’’ he said. “Our goal is to win everything. We might not, but we’re going to give our best effort.’’

Gillum was speaking Monday as the Musketeers played their third practice round in as many days on the State Tournament course.

“I have a good feeling about these guys,’’ Gillum said. “They surprised me all year. I thought we would have a good season, but they scored lower than I expected. All five guys focused on golf and don’t play any other sports.’’

Senior Dagan Abdon continues to enjoy a terrific season. The state points leader shot a 3-under par 69 at Eagle Trace to repeat as regional champion.

Abdon wants to deliver another big performance, especially after a rough experience in last year’s State Tournament in Bowling Green.

After hurting his back while hitting out of the rough in a practice round, Abdon managed a 78 on the first day. But the injury forced him to withdraw during the second round.

“It was really disappointing for Dagan,’’ Gillum said. “He said it was the first time in his life he wasn’t able to go out and play when he wanted to.’’

Juniors Eli Carr and Aaron Hieneman, senior Cody Walker and sophomore Tyler Smith have enabled Greenup County to average in the low 300s. The Musketeers fired a school-record 285 at the Rowan County Invitational. Hieneman was regional runner-up (71) and Carr is far up on the state points list.

Greenup County’s golfers will play in afternoon groups with Lexington Christian and Ryle — the Region 7 winner with a 302 total.

“We’re head to head on the first day with the big boys,’’ Gillum said.

Lexington Christian finished third last year behind St. Xavier and Marshall County. St. Xavier, led by junior Justin Thomas, figures to make another strong run at the championship.

Ashland will be making its first team appearance in almost four decades. Sophomores Jeff Meade, Drew Rothenstine, Kelly Porter, Josh Robinette and freshman Nick Blankenship earned the trip as regional runner-up.

Rowan County junior Jared Stacy, Boyd County senior Andy Barrett and Russell freshman Jacob Porter qualified for the state field as individuals.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...32642.html
you can follow the tournament live at

http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/in...nt_id=1775
I think Greenup County has a good shot to place either first or second in the tournament.

Good luck to all participating schools and Bring Home the trophy Greenup County:1:
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:By ROCKY STANLEY / The Independent
Greenup County’s boys golf team is daring to dream.

The Musketeers enter today’s opening round of the Leachman/KHSAA State Tournament expecting to contend for the championship at Bowling Green Country Club.

That constitutes a major leap for the hard-working program, trying to make the second-round team cut for the first time in Roger Gillum’s seven years as head coach.

“Being a public school, we always felt that was our state tournament if we could qualify for the second day,’’ Gillum said.

The objective changed this year. Greenup County regularly placed well in top invitationals and then shot 298 in winning the Region 12 title last week at Eagle Trace Golf Course in Morehead.

Only Lexington Christian’s 297 was better among the state’s regional champions.

“We’ve beaten all the other top teams in the state at least once this season,’’ Gillum said.

“I know making the second day at state is not going to make me or my players happy because we know what they are capable of doing,’’ he said. “Our goal is to win everything. We might not, but we’re going to give our best effort.’’

Gillum was speaking Monday as the Musketeers played their third practice round in as many days on the State Tournament course.

“I have a good feeling about these guys,’’ Gillum said. “They surprised me all year. I thought we would have a good season, but they scored lower than I expected. All five guys focused on golf and don’t play any other sports.’’

Senior Dagan Abdon continues to enjoy a terrific season. The state points leader shot a 3-under par 69 at Eagle Trace to repeat as regional champion.

Abdon wants to deliver another big performance, especially after a rough experience in last year’s State Tournament in Bowling Green.

After hurting his back while hitting out of the rough in a practice round, Abdon managed a 78 on the first day. But the injury forced him to withdraw during the second round.

“It was really disappointing for Dagan,’’ Gillum said. “He said it was the first time in his life he wasn’t able to go out and play when he wanted to.’’

Juniors Eli Carr and Aaron Hieneman, senior Cody Walker and sophomore Tyler Smith have enabled Greenup County to average in the low 300s. The Musketeers fired a school-record 285 at the Rowan County Invitational. Hieneman was regional runner-up (71) and Carr is far up on the state points list.

Greenup County’s golfers will play in afternoon groups with Lexington Christian and Ryle — the Region 7 winner with a 302 total.

“We’re head to head on the first day with the big boys,’’ Gillum said.

Lexington Christian finished third last year behind St. Xavier and Marshall County. St. Xavier, led by junior Justin Thomas, figures to make another strong run at the championship.

Ashland will be making its first team appearance in almost four decades. Sophomores Jeff Meade, Drew Rothenstine, Kelly Porter, Josh Robinette and freshman Nick Blankenship earned the trip as regional runner-up.

Rowan County junior Jared Stacy, Boyd County senior Andy Barrett and Russell freshman Jacob Porter qualified for the state field as individuals.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...32642.html
Go Greenup County, good luck boy's, bring it home.:golf:
Play was suspended for today due to Darkness.

after 3 holes for Greenup County not including Dagan Abdons score or anyone else in his group which was not posted its:

#1 LCA

# 2 St Mary

# 3 Greenup County
Ashland Blazer finished with a 343 for 17th one ahead of hazard.
with 1 round complete its:

1 St Xavier 300

2 LCA 302

3 Elizabethtown 312

other notables from north east,ky are

7 Greenup County 321

15 Ashland Blazer 343
The lowest 12 team scores moved on and the lowest 20 individuals scores that weren't playing with a team.

Congrats to Greenup County for making the 2nd round.
with the final round complete its

1 St Xavier r1 300 r2 306
2 LCA r1 302 r2 305
3 Henry Clay r1 313 r2 311
4 Elizabethtown r1 312 r2 315
5 Greenup County r1 321 r2 312
6 West Jessamine r1 320 r2 318
7 Greenwood r1 323 r2 318
8 St Mary r1 323 r2 321
9 Russellville r1 319 r2 330
10 Calloway County r1 329 r2 323
11 Ryle r1 332 r2 324