Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who should finish out the season at QB for Breathitt?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know some of you will ask why I'm starting this thread. I just think it would make for some good discussion. So who do you think? Should it be Richard Trent (freshman) or senior Jade Haddix (senior)? Explain why.
I remember the '05 Prestonsburg team that was starting Dave Shaffer. The team was struggling. Midway through the season Coach DeRossett decided to switch Shaffer to tight end and put sophomore at the time Bobby Hughes in his place. I believe the Blackcats only lost one more regular season game after that.

I'm not saying it would work for this year's Breathitt team, but I think it's worth giving a shot to switch Haddix to WR and put Trent at the starting QB spot. I don't know if Holcomb will do this or not, but I think there is a chance he will. I mean, the team is 2-5. What is there to lose? Estill would be a great opponent to try it on. I believe even if it doesn't work out with Trent at QB, Breathitt will still be able to handily take care of the Engineers. If it simply doesn't work then Haddix can remain the QB.

I really think it's a very attractive idea and I've seen many Breathitt fans on here that are in favor of this move. I'm in favor of it too for now. Trent has my vote.
Whoever gives them the best chance of winning in the playoffs. The coach knows his players and will put the person at QB that will help the team win.
haddix got to state last year, now they want to replace him,hum,the scores i been seeing it sounds like the defense needs help
Glad to see some good dicussion here. I do remember that '05 P'burg team ODM43. I don't know if that same switch would work here though. I agree with cuppett to a certain extent. Haddix got them to a state championship last season and is experienced.

I think your idea is one that could work though ODM43. I actually think there wouldn't be anything wrong with at least trying Trent at quarterback for a game or two. Will Holcomb do it? That's the question.
If they are going to put a Freshman at QB, now is the time. Though the games coming up are much more important then the games they have already played, the district slate certainly appears to be a drop in competition from what Breathitt has faced and will give the young QB a chance to gain confidence heading into the playoffs.

Someone also mentioned in another thread that Trent has been held back a couple times and is 16? If this is the case it certainly stads to reason that he will be more physically advanced then your typical 9th Grader (plus he may not be eligible his Senior year so get your snaps while you can).
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I remember the '05 Prestonsburg team that was starting Dave Shaffer. The team was struggling. Midway through the season Coach DeRossett decided to switch Shaffer to tight end and put sophomore at the time Bobby Hughes in his place. I believe the Blackcats only lost one more regular season game after that.

I'm not saying it would work for this year's Breathitt team, but I think it's worth giving a shot to switch Haddix to WR and put Trent at the starting QB spot. I don't know if Holcomb will do this or not, but I think there is a chance he will. I mean, the team is 2-5. What is there to lose? Estill would be a great opponent to try it on. I believe even if it doesn't work out with Trent at QB, Breathitt will still be able to handily take care of the Engineers. If it simply doesn't work then Haddix can remain the QB.

I really think it's a very attractive idea and I've seen many Breathitt fans on here that are in favor of this move. I'm in favor of it too for now. Trent has my vote.

it will be a closer game than what most people think. Estill may not win but i believe that they will give breathitt all they want.

Estill Fans are suppose to wear black to this game!
IMO, Breathitt's biggest problem is finding another RB to take the load off Fugate. WR's who can consistently catch the ball is a close 2nd. Haddix (or Trent) is only as good as the supporting cast. And offensively, they haven't shown up too often. If making a change at QB is what gives them the best chance to win, then Holcomb will do it. He knows best.
I watch Jade put it in the hands and they stay cant hang on to the ball. So why would a new QB help. JMO
Threads such as this are ignorant. High school athletes also read these threads. Why would you want to post a thread that could possibly pit two teammates against eachother. I can understand comparing two athletes on opposing teams but comparing two teammates is certainly uncalled for.
This may be unpopular, but if they have equal talent, go with the youngest. If the Senior is head and shoulders better, play him.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Threads such as this are ignorant. High school athletes also read these threads. Why would you want to post a thread that could possibly pit two teammates against eachother. I can understand comparing two athletes on opposing teams but comparing two teammates is certainly uncalled for.

I can understand your point if view. Mine is different though. In my opinion this thread is not comparing the two athletes. This thread is asking the opinions of posters on which would be the best way to go for this Breathitt team. I respect your opinion of that matter and understand it, but I see it doing no harm. Both are great players as well as great kids I'm sure. No need for either to feel against each other. They are both in this together as teammates.
Ive not seen either one play but Im sure the coaches will put who ever gives them the best chance of winning in a qb.
if people are wondering who should start this late in the season thats a problem what if u put the freshman in and he doesnt perform then you have wrecked his and the seniors confidence go the dance wit what brought u
IMO Both have their strenghts and both have their weaknesses. Jade has been threw the tough times and has paid his dues. He does have the experience that Richard doesnt have. Im sure coach will play whoever will get us the farthest in the playoffs.
What kind of offense does Breathitt run. I remember playing against them last year, but it was the first game of the season and I don't recall the main offensive scheme. What could make everything better is if they were to run a Shotgun Spread offense, much like that of Florida. I know Haddix is athletic and speedy, also you have the strength and speed of Fugate to consistently run the ball. Turning Haddix into a running QB and mixing up the game with QB draws, consistent running with Fugate and Haddix, and taking away the defense and make them respect the pass more. Then they will be back to the Breathitt of old.
ryandamaste5 Wrote:What kind of offense does Breathitt run. I remember playing against them last year, but it was the first game of the season and I don't recall the main offensive scheme. What could make everything better is if they were to run a Shotgun Spread offense, much like that of Florida. I know Haddix is athletic and speedy, also you have the strength and speed of Fugate to consistently run the ball. Turning Haddix into a running QB and mixing up the game with QB draws, consistent running with Fugate and Haddix, and taking away the defense and make them respect the pass more. Then they will be back to the Breathitt of old.

They have already been running the shotgun with Haddix at Qb and Fugate at RB.
Trent has to be used on offense in some form or fashion. he is to good of an athlete and I think all three of them are interchangable. Haddix,Fugate, Trent can all run, block, and pass enough to get the job done. At a school like Breathitt, you have to use all your athletes and play makers to win, doesn't matter what grade they are in. Haddix being the leader and then using the other 2 to mix it up.
King Leonidas Wrote:Trent has to be used on offense in some form or fashion. he is to good of an athlete and I think all three of them are interchangable. Haddix,Fugate, Trent can all run, block, and pass enough to get the job done. At a school like Breathitt, you have to use all your athletes and play makers to win, doesn't matter what grade they are in. Haddix being the leader and then using the other 2 to mix it up.

Why not leave Haddix at QB but use Trent in the slot? This way you can bring him in motion and give him carries, or you can throw to him and let him make plays. If he can block it makes it even more appealing because you can send him in motion and let him seal the edge on running plays.

Throw in a couple "Wildcat" package where both players stay in the game but Trent comes to QB and Haddix goes wide, this way opposing defenses have to at least gameplan for that package.

Seems like a no brainer to me. That way you keep your Senior leader at QB, but you add another offensive weapon and still are able to get him varsity snaps at QB.
No brainer way to play them!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Why not leave Haddix at QB but use Trent in the slot? This way you can bring him in motion and give him carries, or you can throw to him and let him make plays. If he can block it makes it even more appealing because you can send him in motion and let him seal the edge on running plays.

Throw in a couple "Wildcat" package where both players stay in the game but Trent comes to QB and Haddix goes wide, this way opposing defenses have to at least gameplan for that package.

Seems like a no brainer to me. That way you keep your Senior leader at QB, but you add another offensive weapon and still are able to get him varsity snaps at QB.

They did this with Epperson last year and was pretty successful. But, for some reason he's not being utilized in that role this year. He may be the answer as the "other" RB.
Austin Stepp
[Haha i found you a home]
Inside Joke.

I think Breathitt should stay with Jade Haddix.
mandan Wrote:IMO, Breathitt's biggest problem is finding another RB to take the load off Fugate. WR's who can consistently catch the ball is a close 2nd. Haddix (or Trent) is only as good as the supporting cast. And offensively, they haven't shown up too often. If making a change at QB is what gives them the best chance to win, then Holcomb will do it. He knows best.

Having Trent at QB solves that problem.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If they are going to put a Freshman at QB, now is the time. Though the games coming up are much more important then the games they have already played, the district slate certainly appears to be a drop in competition from what Breathitt has faced and will give the young QB a chance to gain confidence heading into the playoffs.

Someone also mentioned in another thread that Trent has been held back a couple times and is 16? If this is the case it certainly stads to reason that he will be more physically advanced then your typical 9th Grader (plus he may not be eligible his Senior year so get your snaps while you can).

just to clear everything bout trent he is only 15 and he will be eligible his senior year