Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Magoffin County Turn Around
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats to the Hornets on a fine year thus far. How have the Hornets been able to turn it around.
They could win eight games this year. They won 7 in 1995 and six in 1990.
I think the coaching staff is a huge part of the turn around. Coach McCoy and his staff have brought a positive football attitude to this program and they are great teachers and motivaters for the young men that play for them. These young men are prepared and ready for their oppenent on Friday nights. I also think you have to give some credit to there middle school program to be providing young men ready to step up and play at the high school level.
I am happy that Coach McCoy got this turned around. MC is 5-1 right now on the season, But too be fair they have only played a decent Paintsville team and lost too them. Im going too go ahead and say there gonna win possibly 1-2 district games. I will miss there classic games with East Ridge as well.
joethegreek Wrote:Congrats to the Hornets on a fine year thus far. How have the Hornets been able to turn it around.
They have been able to turn it around by beating up on the weakest class 1a and 2a teams. Magoffin Co. has yet to play a class 3a team. The combined record of their opponets is 8-28. Their only loss, to Paintsville, has a record of 2-4. The only win that Paintsville has other than Magoffin Co. is over South Floyd (1-5). You can call it a turn around when you start beating teams that are at least in the same class as you.
Colonel Kill Wrote:I think the coaching staff is a huge part of the turn around. Coach McCoy and his staff have brought a positive football attitude to this program and they are great teachers and motivaters for the young men that play for them. These young men are prepared and ready for their oppenent on Friday nights. I also think you have to give some credit to there middle school program to be providing young men ready to step up and play at the high school level.

I agree one hundred percent there guys are really prepared every friday night. They know the other team in and out, and that is def. a coaching strategy. These guys are well coached, and turning that program around. They have went from the mentality of (I cant win this game, too we are going to win every game.) the Middle School program has really helped Magoffin as well. They have had some really good seasons there. And really feed the High School with some good athletes. I just hope Magoffin can keep the winning up threw out the rest of this season. They are getting ready to go into distract play, so things are going to get alot tougher.
There is still a chance that Magoffin may host a playoff game. They have both Breathitt and Estill coming into Salyersville. The odds are that Magoffin will either be a 3 or 4 seed, but it is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities that they host the first round.
Nice turn around, but very weak schedule.
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=30266
I would agree that their schedule is not the toughest but as a newer coach coming into this situation how are they suppose to start the turn around. You play teams that you can compete with and start to win those games as you improve your schedule will improve. You first have to win some games to get kids interested in your program and make them want to come out and play. Getting beat week in and out by Belfry, Bell, Corbin, JC, Pburg types does not help a coach get his program established. You want to see your coach teaching kids how to compete in games, then how to win those games and eventually get to a level were you can be at least competetive against better competition but it has to start somewhere.
Colonel Kill Wrote:I would agree that their schedule is not the toughest but as a newer coach coming into this situation how are they suppose to start the turn around. You play teams that you can compete with and start to win those games as you improve your schedule will improve. You first have to win some games to get kids interested in your program and make them want to come out and play. Getting beat week in and out by Belfry, Bell, Corbin, JC, Pburg types does not help a coach get his program established. You want to see your coach teaching kids how to compete in games, then how to win those games and eventually get to a level were you can be at least competetive against better competition but it has to start somewhere.
Nice post. Agree 100%
Colonel Kill Wrote:I would agree that their schedule is not the toughest but as a newer coach coming into this situation how are they suppose to start the turn around. You play teams that you can compete with and start to win those games as you improve your schedule will improve. You first have to win some games to get kids interested in your program and make them want to come out and play. Getting beat week in and out by Belfry, Bell, Corbin, JC, Pburg types does not help a coach get his program established. You want to see your coach teaching kids how to compete in games, then how to win those games and eventually get to a level were you can be at least competetive against better competition but it has to start somewhere.

Good Post Indeed.

This cowboy nailed it with that post. I could not have said it better.
They are not bad. I see them as a 2 seed in the playoffs.
ericfdx Wrote:They have been able to turn it around by beating up on the weakest class 1a and 2a teams. Magoffin Co. has yet to play a class 3a team. The combined record of their opponets is 8-28. Their only loss, to Paintsville, has a record of 2-4. The only win that Paintsville has other than Magoffin Co. is over South Floyd (1-5). You can call it a turn around when you start beating teams that are at least in the same class as you.
I agree that Magoffins schedule this far in the season hasn't been the toughest ever. But they played a close game against a Paintsville team, and probably would have won if their would have been some minor adjustments to their play calling. And they made a heck of a comeback against a fairly good Knott County team. They have all 3 of their district games coming up, and I am looking for them to roll through Powell, and then give Estill a run for their money. Don't be surprised if they DO get to host the first round of playoffs!
Sundance Kid Wrote:I agree that Magoffins schedule this far in the season hasn't been the toughest ever. But they played a close game against a Paintsville team, and probably would have won if their would have been some minor adjustments to their play calling. They have all 3 of their district games coming up, and I am looking for them to roll through Powell, and then give Estill a run for their money. Don't be surprised if they DO get to host the first round of playoffs!

Food for thought. Magoffin lost to Paintsville 28-31, Paintsville lost to Pineville 21-38, Pineville lost to Estill 14-35. Could be interesting how it comes out. You never can tell.