Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Could We Ever See A Shelby Valley/Pikeville Series?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Yeah....but every other sport is not football.....and Football is King at Pikeville...just as it is at Belfry. Football is a distant...and I mean distant 2nd to basketball at Shelby Valley.

I would have to agree with other posters...in that...I simply can't see P-ville willing to put SV on the schedule while the program is in a full blown rebuilding mode. Maybe....if and when the ship's been righted....they may agree to a short home and home series.......but I can't see that in the near future.

I'm of the mindset that the Belfry/P-ville series should take a hiatus....similar to the Belfry/P-burg series.

Most programs the size of P-ville, Belfry, P-burg, Breathitt, SC...etc,etc....are going to go thru periods of diminished talent. And...unfortunately, with the advent of increased numbers of Middle School/Junior Highs in place......the odds of diminsihed talent or returns are greater....due to lower participation rates.

So sometimes you've got to drop back and punt...

Take a break....re-structure, re-prioritize and rebuild.....then resume.

Great Post.

IMO Pikeville will not play SV. And if eventually Pikeville does decide to play and they beat SV its going to be blah blah wouldn't play us this year or that year or with this class or on this field or at this temperture. I hope Pikeville never plays them just to get under their skin a little deeper. SV has done a great job the last few years of being a competitive football team. But really, would beating Pikeville solidify them as a great 2A team. NO. Beat Good 2A Programs, in KY. Quit beating up on small WV schools and keep taking care of PC, ER, and beat P-burg.
RUNtheBALL Wrote:Great Post.

IMO Pikeville will not play SV. And if eventually Pikeville does decide to play and they beat SV its going to be blah blah wouldn't play us this year or that year or with this class or on this field or at this temperture. I hope Pikeville never plays them just to get under their skin a little deeper. SV has done a great job the last few years of being a competitive football team. But really, would beating Pikeville solidify them as a great 2A team. NO. Beat Good 2A Programs, in KY. Quit beating up on small WV schools and keep taking care of PC, ER, and beat P-burg.

You actually hit the nail on the head. There's no way Pikeville will agree to play Shelby Valley unless they are sure they will win. So they will wait until SV hits a downturn, then offer to play. That way, when they win, they can say "See, we were the better team all along."

As for your other statement, of course beating Pikeville would not solidify SV as a great 2A team, only beating P-Burg will do that. But it would solidify them as the 2nd best team in the county, which is what a good number of impartial observers believe to be the case right now.
dream on
The county folks continue to obsess over Pikeville's football program when they should be obsessed with getting their academics on par with Pikeville's. But obsess on my county cousins.:popcorn::biggrin:

:devilflam
jetpilot Wrote:The county folks continue to obsess over Pikeville's football program when they should be obsessed with getting their academics on par with Pikeville's. But obsess on my county cousins.:popcorn::biggrin:

el oh el. That's all I have to say. I've seen more people from Pikeville come to Pikeville College and drop out than from Shelby Valley.
jetpilot Wrote:The county folks continue to obsess over Pikeville's football program when they should be obsessed with getting their academics on par with Pikeville's. But obsess on my county cousins.:popcorn::biggrin:

Really? You want to go there? Pikeville's play can't speak for itself so you REACH for that one? By my research, Both Valley and Pikeville have an average ACT score of 20. So looks like Valley is doing just fine in that department as well. You sir may win the award for "least relevant post" for this thread.

http://www.eppraisal.com/schools/pike-co...001686.mvc

http://www.pikevilleschools.us/index.php...bb7c67d745

you can compare the two if you'd like.:please::please:
OldTymer Wrote:Really? You want to go there? Pikeville's play can't speak for itself so you REACH for that one? By my research, Both Valley and Pikeville have an average ACT score of 20. So looks like Valley is doing just fine in that department as well. You sir may win the award for "least relevant post" for this thread.

http://www.eppraisal.com/schools/pike-co...001686.mvc

http://www.pikevilleschools.us/index.php...bb7c67d745

you can compare the two if you'd like.:please::please:

That's just pure beauty.
Let's keep this on topic
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Let's keep this on topic

I think it's been right on topic the whole time. Throwing in the academics is on topic as well considering if they were to lose to Valley in football, that's the only thing they would have to take a chance at, and oldtymer was pointing out that they don't even have that, so that's why they won't play.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I think it's been right on topic the whole time. Throwing in the academics is on topic as well considering if they were to lose to Valley in football, that's the only thing they would have to take a chance at, and oldtymer was pointing out that they don't even have that, so that's why they won't play.
Maybe start it with freshmen and jv games, and see how it goes, I know in Greenup County, we play each other, big money at the gate, (Greenup County, is referred to as the country bumpkins) is 4A, (Russell, is referred to as the Evil Empire) is 3A and ( Raceland, is the Ramchargers) 1A , and none of us can stand each other, that's what a rivalary is about, Russell has been known to water there field down with a fire truck, and Raceland always have their fire trucks on standby at the games, and their announcer, Bill Farley can be heard saying, first down Rams, in Worthington, a neighboring community, and poor Greenup County wears bibbed overalls and work boots, and never get's any respect, I think it would be good for Pike County, so what if somebody upsets somebody. there is always next year.:rockon:
old warrior Wrote:Maybe start it with freshmen and jv games, and see how it goes, I know in Greenup County, we play each other, big money at the gate, (Greenup County, is referred to as the country bumpkins) is 4A, (Russell, is referred to as the Evil Empire) is 3A and ( Raceland, is the Ramchargers) 1A , and none of us can stand each other, that's what a rivalary is about, Russell has been known to water there field down with a fire truck, and Raceland always have their fire trucks on standby at the games, and their announcer, Bill Farley can be heard saying, first down Rams, in Worthington, a neighboring community, and poor Greenup County wears bibbed overalls and work boots, and never get's any respect, I think it would be good for Pike County, so what if somebody upsets somebody. there is always next year.:rockon:

Yeah but this is Pikeville, you go to Pikeville if you consider yourself more upscale, smarter, these kinds of things, so them being beaten by Valley when a bunch of kids pass on going to Valley to go to Pikeville would look bad on them.
:biggrin:I know I am just dreaming, but what a beautiful thing it would be if the classes alter, or if one of the school's enrollments makes a big increase/decrease, and these two were in the same district.
Does anyone know how far Valley is fom being single A.
bucslover68 Wrote::biggrin:I know I am just dreaming, but what a beautiful thing it would be if the classes alter, or if one of the school's enrollments makes a big increase/decrease, and these two were in the same district.

That would be great for the district. Shelby Valley and Allen Central would become heated rivals.:Thumbs:
It would make the district better either way. SV is better than any other team in the Class A district, and a district of SV, Pburg, and Pikeville would be pretty good.
bucslover68 Wrote:It would make the district better either way. SV is better than any other team in the Class A district, and a district of SV, Pburg, and Pikeville would be pretty good.

Prestonsburg has nearly 600 kids at their school, no way would they ever be able to make the drop to single A. I don't think they would ever want that either.Valley has right at 600. Don't see this ever happening.
OldTymer Wrote:Prestonsburg has nearly 600 kids at their school, no way would they ever be able to make the drop to single A. I don't think they would ever want that either.Valley has right at 600. Don't see this ever happening.

It wouldn't be Pburg dropping. It would either be SV in Single A someday or Pikeville moving to Double A. It was not said to be an actuality, it was said as part of a scenario, to see Pikeville and SV forced to play each other.
bucslover68 Wrote:It wouldn't be Pburg dropping. It would either be SV in Single A someday or Pikeville moving to Double A. It was not said to be an actuality, it was said as part of a scenario, to see Pikeville and SV forced to play each other.

gotcha:Thumbs: I would love to see Pikeville move up.
OldTymer Wrote:gotcha:Thumbs: I would love to see Pikeville move up.
Not gonna happen. Enrollment is declining. The best bet would be for the KHSAA to magically find a brain and move it back to 4 classes.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Not gonna happen. Enrollment is declining. The best bet would be for the KHSAA to magically find a brain and move it back to 4 classes.
I agree Thunder. i would settle for 5 if they could make it work.
joethegreek Wrote:I do know that Shelby Valley is very interested in playing Pikeville.

SV should get UNINTERSTED real quick by means of what they have returning and no signs of improvement coming any time soon from middle school.

Pikeville should play them now since they are going to be down for some time. Pikeville will NEVER play Pike Central.Especially in the next 4-5 years.
if you want to see a rivalry renewed.
we hate each other and thats what a rivalry is.
but p-ville will never play us not in this life time.I think they sould play in the pike county bowl......imo
Salimander Wrote:SV should get UNINTERSTED real quick by means of what they have returning and no signs of improvement coming any time soon from middle school.

Pikeville should play them now since they are going to be down for some time. Pikeville will NEVER play Pike Central.Especially in the next 4-5 years.

well the 7th and 8th was a real close 22-8 game in witch valley could have won. and the 5th and 6th went into overtime witch valley won.....withoutone of the best 6th graders in the county justin bowling.

Valley will never have one great class like this year, but from senior to freshman they will be strong for years to come.
Pikeville will just keep geting killed 3-4 times a year and beating there district to death and keep loosing in the always tough 1a playoffs. They will never ever be what they once were....imo
central fan Wrote:well the 7th and 8th was a real close 22-8 game in witch valley could have won. and the 5th and 6th went into overtime witch valley won.....withoutone of the best 6th graders in the county justin bowling.

Valley will never have one great class like this year, but from senior to freshman they will be strong for years to come.
Pikeville will just keep geting killed 3-4 times a year and beating there district to death and keep loosing in the always tough 1a playoffs. They will never ever be what they once were....imo

Well said.
jetpilot Wrote:That would be great for the district. Shelby Valley and Allen Central would become heated rivals.:Thumbs:

Valley would beat Pikeville And Allen Centeral by 3TDS. Hazard would be a good rivalry for Valley in 1 a playoffs. But not AC or Pikeville. Have u looked at the AP poll today Jetpilot. Valley is 5th in 2 a and Pikeville is not ranked in 1 a get over Yourself .
Dont think this match would help Valley come play off time . They need to worry about playing better teams than Pikeville no need to seek revenge for the Virgie -Pikeville games of the 80s those days are gone for both teams. Things look good in the VALLEY.
blue60 Wrote:Valley would beat Pikeville And Allen Centeral by 3TDS. Hazard would be a good rivalry for Valley in 1 a playoffs. But not AC or Pikeville. Have u looked at the AP poll today Jetpilot. Valley is 5th in 2 a and Pikeville is not ranked in 1 a get over Yourself .

You get over yourself. Valley has played the worst schedule ever compiled and the only team they have faced that can play a lick embarrassed them.
In fact, Valley fans please show me where Valley has EVER beaten a good football team in their history. :please:
jetpilot Wrote:You get over yourself. Valley has played the worst schedule ever compiled and the only team they have faced that can play a lick embarrassed them.
In fact, Valley fans please show me where Valley has EVER beaten a good football team in their history. :please:

I think you'd be scared of a series between Pikeville and Valley.
Valley has beaten Pike Central, Tug Valley, Knott Co. Central, Bath Co., and Leslie Co.
You couldn't combine all those teams and make one decent team. In fact Valley has probably played the worst schedule in the whole state. Give me a break.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I think you'd be scared of a series between Pikeville and Valley.

Playing a sucky team when you can play a good one always scares me.
Pages: 1 2 3