Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands Reigns Supreme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With St. Xavier winning at home handily against the Elder Panthers, Highlands sits alone as the premier high school football team in Greater Cincinnati. The Birds certainly deserve the title after a brilliant performance last week. Highlands showed no signs of slowing offensively with a wonderful QB performance by Towles tonight at home against Dixie. Next stop, State.......
This years team will go down in bluebird history
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:This years team will go down in bluebird history

It certainly can
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:This years team will go down in bluebird history

To be honest, I didn't think they looked that sharp tonight. Towles has a long way to go and they need to be able to pass to keep teams honest.
Hey whackem why do you slam SK for doing the same stuff Highlands does to teams when they get the chance to. 52 to 9 come on. You say we are green, attention getting wanna be, dont play like champions? Your team seems to do the same thing?
I don't want to take away from Highlands victory last week, but I have to admit that after covering the X-Elder game tonight, that X team was a completely different team than what I saw last week.

Credit Highlands and I spoke with Specht after the game and he said the same thing, but man X looks like a completely different team with Conor Hundley out there running the ball for the Bombers. He rushed for 93 yards tonight on 25 carries but his hard running was the difference as it wore Elder's D down all night. Tim O'Conner (Elder 6'4 Indiana recruit) also didn't play against X tonight as he was hurt on the first play and didn't see the field rest of the game.

I don't want to say X would beat Highlands with Hundley, but I think Highlands would have a much tougher time in a rematch.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I don't want to take away from Highlands victory last week, but I have to admit that after covering the X-Elder game tonight, that X team was a completely different team than what I saw last week.

Credit Highlands and I spoke with Specht after the game and he said the same thing, but man X looks like a completely different team with Conor Hundley out there running the ball for the Bombers. He rushed for 93 yards tonight on 25 carries but his hard running was the difference as it wore Elder's D down all night. Tim O'Conner (Elder 6'4 Indiana recruit) also didn't play against X tonight as he was hurt on the first play and didn't see the field rest of the game.

I don't want to say X would beat Highlands with Hundley, but I think Highlands would have a much tougher time in a rematch.

X had Hundley for the first quarter and a half and the Birds knocked him out of the game. They smacked him hard on his first few carries, in fact I think it was his 2nd carry where he got whacked by Roller and his helmet came off. He limped off the field midway through the 2nd qtr I believe and never returned and I can tell you it was due to some hard hits being laid on him. He had nowhere to go when he did run it.

Also, Pete Bachman an Elder offensive lineman and stud broke his leg last week in a road victory so that probably hurt their offensive ground game. Still a huge victory for X on their home field and great bounce back game.
neerfan Wrote:Hey whackem why do you slam SK for doing the same stuff Highlands does to teams when they get the chance to. 52 to 9 come on. You say we are green, attention getting wanna be, dont play like champions? Your team seems to do the same thing?

You obviously didn't watch the Birds play last night. With that said, Dale just lost 2/3rds of his offense last week in Bardo. He now has to start a sophomore QB with little to no experience with this offense. If you were a coach, would you get your QB as many snaps as possible? (he did come out after the 3rd qtr) Highlands is working on rebuilding the passing game. Dixie just happened to draw the short straw last night. You'll see much of the same passing offense against Scott in preps for that Catholic team. If Bardo was in last night against Dixie, the clock would have been running at halftime. Re-establishing the passing game will be an essential ingredient in bringing home another state title to Ft. Thomas. Sk runs the score up b/c someone on Conner said something against them. whah. Coach needs to show class and restraint by taking the high road. Obviously, SK needs work in that dept.....
neerfan Wrote:Hey whackem why do you slam SK for doing the same stuff Highlands does to teams when they get the chance to. 52 to 9 come on. You say we are green, attention getting wanna be, dont play like champions? Your team seems to do the same thing?

What happened tonight in Ft. Thomas is akin to what would happen in Independence if Miles went down for the year. With Bardo out, a big chunk of the Birds offensive capability is also out, so the key to gaining some of that back is getting Towles as many reps with the first teams as possible. Dixie just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but at the start of the season I guarantee you that they'd have drooled to know that they were going to be playing a Highlands team that was in this position.
Would Highlands ever consider the move to 6A, I mean most years i believe they could compete with a Trinity or a St. X, it would also help there national rankings every year it would seem.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I don't want to take away from Highlands victory last week, but I have to admit that after covering the X-Elder game tonight, that X team was a completely different team than what I saw last week.

Hundley played in the Highlands vs. X game. I believe he was hurt in the 3rd quarter.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:You obviously didn't watch the Birds play last night. With that said, Dale just lost 2/3rds of his offense last week in Bardo. He now has to start a sophomore QB with little to no experience with this offense. If you were a coach, would you get your QB as many snaps as possible? (he did come out after the 3rd qtr) Highlands is working on rebuilding the passing game. Dixie just happened to draw the short straw last night. You'll see much of the same passing offense against Scott in preps for that Catholic team. If Bardo was in last night against Dixie, the clock would have been running at halftime. Re-establishing the passing game will be an essential ingredient in bringing home another state title to Ft. Thomas. Sk runs the score up b/c someone on Conner said something against them. whah. Coach needs to show class and restraint by taking the high road. Obviously, SK needs work in that dept.....

Highlands plays Cov. Cath. before Scott. Bye week then Cov. Cath.
tradition Wrote:Hundley played in the Highlands vs. X game. I believe he was hurt in the 3rd quarter.

I stand corrected in a previous post. I thought he went out in the 3rd.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Would Highlands ever consider the move to 6A, I mean most years i believe they could compete with a Trinity or a St. X, it would also help there national rankings every year it would seem.
This post is slightly off topic but keep in mind that the KHSAA will be tinkering with the alignments beginning next year. One of the items to be discussed might be the rationale to play up. With six classes you need the ability to play up because you need to ensure that there are enough teams to play in a given area. So you might see HHS sent down to play in its own class (3A) or it may be allowed to play in a different, higher class depending on the classifications of the other teams in N.Ky. In short, HHS could be playing anywhere from 3A to 6A next year.

Back on topic, HHS is the class of the field this year in Kentucky but the St. X - Trinity game is today. Winner has an argument (notwithstanding the Cinti St. X results between the respective teams). But assuming that all of the teams win out after this weekend, HHS clearly has the better argument.
I'd say playing up 2 classes is just fine. I don't think the Birds could hang with the likes of Trinity and St X year in and year out simply due to numbers.
Can you dig it? Wrote:To be honest, I didn't think they looked that sharp tonight. Towles has a long way to go and they need to be able to pass to keep teams honest.

Towles played more than well enough to keep teams honest. Showed nice poise in the pocket, threw nice passes. Explain why you think he has a long way to go. I realize it was Dixie's defense that he was performing against, but still, I thought he did a really good job for his first varsity start.
qryche11 Wrote:I'd say playing up 2 classes is just fine. I don't think the Birds could hang with the likes of Trinity and St X year in and year out simply due to numbers.

:Thumbs: Agreed, Campbell Co. and the rest of us 6A guys don't want them here.....:biggrin:
charlie22 Wrote:Towles played more than well enough to keep teams honest. Showed nice poise in the pocket, threw nice passes. Explain why you think he has a long way to go. I realize it was Dixie's defense that he was performing against, but still, I thought he did a really good job for his first varsity start.

Nerves, mainly. Some of his early passes looked like he was throwing into another area code. He settled down after a while and then had the misfortune of having his receivers drop a few REALLY catchable balls. I think he'll be fine come playoff time, but he looked a little iffy at the start of the game.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Nerves, mainly. Some of his early passes looked like he was throwing into another area code. He settled down after a while and then had the misfortune of having his receivers drop a few REALLY catchable balls. I think he'll be fine come playoff time, but he looked a little iffy at the start of the game.

I have to agree with you.
kypecos Wrote:This post is slightly off topic but keep in mind that the KHSAA will be tinkering with the alignments beginning next year. One of the items to be discussed might be the rationale to play up. With six classes you need the ability to play up because you need to ensure that there are enough teams to play in a given area. So you might see HHS sent down to play in its own class (3A) or it may be allowed to play in a different, higher class depending on the classifications of the other teams in N.Ky. In short, HHS could be playing anywhere from 3A to 6A next year.

Back on topic, HHS is the class of the field this year in Kentucky but the St. X - Trinity game is today. Winner has an argument (notwithstanding the Cinti St. X results between the respective teams). But assuming that all of the teams win out after this weekend, HHS clearly has the better argument.

We sure as heck don't want 'em in our class.
I dont know what you guys (sstack and canyoudig) expect to be quite honest. The kid is a sophomore who had maybe 20 total Varsity snaps. He comes into quite frankly the biggest game in Highlands history and performs adequately. Basically he didnt hurt them over the last 8 min of the game. He threw 3 TD passes against Dixie who coming into this season was supposed to be a much improved Class 5A team. He led the JV team to a 5-0 record until yesterday where he didnt play and they got their first loss.

I just think the expectations are that anybody that steps under center at Highlands has to be perfect or Bardo'esque. He will not ever be like Bardo because he doesnt have sprinter speed but he has the size, arm strength and QB mind. He will help lead them to state and set the tone for a very fine HS career.
Since it's Sunday I'm gonna give ya an "amen" on that one Queensryche! I do have to say that Towles has alot more speed than you think. He will be used in much the same fashion as Bardo this year. He is a threat to run and pass. Highlands is fortunate to have a back up like this kid.
qryche11 Wrote:I dont know what you guys (sstack and canyoudig) expect to be quite honest. The kid is a sophomore who had maybe 20 total Varsity snaps. He comes into quite frankly the biggest game in Highlands history and performs adequately. Basically he didnt hurt them over the last 8 min of the game. He threw 3 TD passes against Dixie who coming into this season was supposed to be a much improved Class 5A team. He led the JV team to a 5-0 record until yesterday where he didnt play and they got their first loss.

I just think the expectations are that anybody that steps under center at Highlands has to be perfect or Bardo'esque. He will not ever be like Bardo because he doesnt have sprinter speed but he has the size, arm strength and QB mind. He will help lead them to state and set the tone for a very fine HS career.

I expected exactly what I saw. You are right, he is a soph. and unexperienced. What I was doing was comparing him to Bardo, because that is what people want to know. I have just been stating the facts; not trying to be hard on the kid. I think alot of people want me to lie and say he is the next JLo, just because he is now the starter for HHS. I think most people felt HHS was a lock to win state with Bardo, and now with Towles I think you would have to question that it is a lock. I still think they will win state, but I do think the games will be closer scores.
By the way, I talked to Towles elementary coach yesterday and he said the kid was a quick learner, a good leader, a natural athlete, and best of all he said he was a great, well mannered kid.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Nerves, mainly. Some of his early passes looked like he was throwing into another area code. He settled down after a while and then had the misfortune of having his receivers drop a few REALLY catchable balls. I think he'll be fine come playoff time, but he looked a little iffy at the start of the game.

You and I have basically stated the same thing, so obviously we both saw the same thing. You pointed out problem areas, but also gave credit where credit was due, just like me. You also stated that you think he will be fine come playoff time, just like me. Can you explain to me why people are coming down so hard on us? I guess if you are a HHS fan, that you are not allowed to say anything negative about your team.
sstack Wrote:You and I have basically stated the same thing, so obviously we both saw the same thing. You pointed out problem areas, but also gave credit where credit was due, just like me. You also stated that you think he will be fine come playoff time, just like me. Can you explain to me why people are coming down so hard on us? I guess if you are a HHS fan, that you are not allowed to say anything negative about your team.

I noticed that. I think they just hate me because I'm beautiful.:yikes:
Can you dig it? Wrote:I noticed that. I think they just hate me because I'm beautiful.:yikes:

That's just one more thing we have in common!
qryche11 Wrote:I dont know what you guys (sstack and canyoudig) expect to be quite honest. The kid is a sophomore who had maybe 20 total Varsity snaps. He comes into quite frankly the biggest game in Highlands history and performs adequately. Basically he didnt hurt them over the last 8 min of the game. He threw 3 TD passes against Dixie who coming into this season was supposed to be a much improved Class 5A team. He led the JV team to a 5-0 record until yesterday where he didnt play and they got their first loss.

Lighten up, babe. :Cheerlead I agree with you. He played adequately, but it was DIXIE. (If Dixie isn't the biggest disappointment in NKY this year, I'll french fry my tighty-whities and eat them.) I didn't say he was beyond redemption or anything. Highlands isn't the team they were with him at the controls. Do I think it might be possible for him to lead them to a 5A championship in December? Yes, I do. But it won't be anywhere near the cakewalk that it looked like it might be before Bardo got hurt. Bardo, especially after seeing what he did to Cincy X, would have been a nightmare for most defensive coordinators that Highlands might meet down the road. Towles has a big arm, but as a fifteen year old kid stuffed into a tough position, he's been somewhat erratic. I'll still be there for the games and I'll still back my Birds, but I won't be surprised if it ends short of the ultimate goal.
And I won't lay the blame on Towles. It's just the breaks sometimes.:eyeroll:
Can you dig it? Wrote:Lighten up, babe. :Cheerlead I agree with you. He played adequately, but it was DIXIE. (If Dixie isn't the biggest disappointment in NKY this year, I'll french fry my tighty-whities and eat them.) I didn't say he was beyond redemption or anything. Highlands isn't the team they were with him at the controls. Do I think it might be possible for him to lead them to a 5A championship in December? Yes, I do. But it won't be anywhere near the cakewalk that it looked like it might be before Bardo got hurt. Bardo, especially after seeing what he did to Cincy X, would have been a nightmare for most defensive coordinators that Highlands might meet down the road. Towles has a big arm, but as a fifteen year old kid stuffed into a tough position, he's been somewhat erratic. I'll still be there for the games and I'll still back my Birds, but I won't be surprised if it ends short of the ultimate goal.
And I won't lay the blame on Towles. It's just the breaks sometimes.:eyeroll:

Now this is a ridiculous post. I don't even know where to begin so I think I'll just bite my tongue.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Now this is a ridiculous post. I don't even know where to begin so I think I'll just bite my tongue.

Aw, come on. Humor me.