Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 54 - Matewan (WV) 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heard some crazy things happened in this game and in the stands, but good game blackcats. Now 7-0.
Like to know Burchett's stats, sounded like he had another good game based on the updates.
Idk exact stats but i know Michael had at least 4 tds. 60, 45, 21, and another good chunk of yardage on another! Great game by Burchett
Congrats to Pburg. really impress by this team!!
Congratulations to the Blackcats. You guys have very good team and will make some noise come playoff time. Good Luck.
Prestonsburg come out flat. Although they scored on their second play from scrimmage they didn't look so good in the first half, but everytime it seemed they started to get into a rhythm a flag would fly and call a big play back. Prestonsburg had a ton of phantom penalties tonight. But the game was at Matewan, so what can you expect. Burchett, Blackburn, Craynon and McKinney played big games tonight. Big props also to big Max on the defensive line for Prestonsburg. Looked good tonight.

Matewan has a decent team, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about them. They as a team was dirty, coaches where dirty, fans where dirty. Was about as I expected. I don't recommend any Kentucky team to ever travel over there to face them. Hopefully this was Prestonsburg's last.

Congrats Blackcats... Best of luck to Matewan on the rest of the season!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Prestonsburg come out flat. Although they scored on their second play from scrimmage they didn't look so good in the first half, but everytime it seemed they started to get into a rhythm a flag would fly and call a big play back. Prestonsburg had a ton of phantom penalties tonight. But the game was at Matewan, so what can you expect. Burchett, Blackburn, Craynon and McKinney played big games tonight. Big props also to big Max on the defensive line for Prestonsburg. Looked good tonight.

Matewan has a decent team, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about them. They as a team was dirty, coaches where dirty, fans where dirty. Was about as I expected. I don't recommend any Kentucky team to ever travel over there to face them. Hopefully this was Prestonsburg's last.

Congrats Blackcats... Best of luck to Matewan on the rest of the season!

I remember watching a game at Matewan a few years ago where the visiting team was flagged twice for delay of game when there was still 3 seconds left on the playclock Confusedhh:
Congrats P'Burg!
Congrats P-Burg
Like BCA said, the Matewan players, coaches, and fans were dirty. There were a couple small altercations between fans, but everything turned out alright. Someone said the Matewan coaches told the players to take out Burchett when they hit him. Just a couple examples of what this game was like.

The Blackcats showed how good of a team they were once again. Burchett made some great plays throwing for 4 TD's. Two to Josh Blackburn, one to Josh Craynon, and one to Joseph Jamerson. McKinney had a rushing TD. Freshman Bryson Williams returned a kickoff for TD and ran in one more. Great game for Prestonsburg. The Allen Central transfer, Max (didn't get his last name) had a great showing tonight on the defensive line. I believe he is only a sophomore.

Josh Blackburn was injured, put on a stretcher and taken to the hospital in Williamson. Heard it was only a stinger in his neck, but went to the hospital just to be cautious.

Congrats Blackcats and good luck to Blackburn on his recovery!
My take on the game:

Matewan may very well be the stinky armpit of the entire state of WVA, and that is saying something...

Total lack of class on behalf of Matewan's players. When they came out of the Locker Room before the game started, they ran to the 50 while Pburg was still in their endzone. Then, Matewan's players marched right down to the 10 yard line where Pburg was waiting to make their entrance and a fight almost ensued. Those wonderful WVA officials simply laughed it off and not a flag was thrown. I'm sure the great football mind that is Yogi Kinder choreographed every step of this to try to intimidate the Cats, and to be honest, it looked like it may have worked a little. Like BCA said, the Cats came out flat. However, they got rolling soon enough, and then even the numerous crappy flags couldn't slow them down. I don't blame Kinder, Matewan's coach, though. He is completely amoral, totally classless, and had to try something. I think he knew his team was completely outmatched.

Officiating was very, very bad. One series in particular. Matewan tried to run a fake punt early in the game, and didn't make it. Pburg got the ball on a very short field, about the Matewan 30 or so. On 4 consecutive plays, it went like this:

Completed pass---downfield official calls holding on one of our receivers

Another completed pass after the penalty---another holding call downfield

Another completed pass---block in the back call downfield.

Another completed pass---another holding call downfield.

Even the Matewan fans were laughing at this point. Except for the Unsportsmanlike penalties assesed to Matewan players at various points in the game, most calls went against the Cats...

I sat on the 50, right beside the Matewan section. I found it hilarious that they got upset as the game went on at our student cheering section for doing the "Hail Blackcat" cheer. They obviously had no problem with their entire team trying to start a fight before the game started, and had no problem with their coaches putting a hit out on Burchett. However, like the Bible says, "If you sow the wind, you reap the whirlwind". Bet Matewan will think twice about trying that crap again.

Cats were flat, and even though they put 54 points on the board, they didn't look very sharp doing it. Burchett played well, but was pressured most of the night. Matewan blitzed alot, and when they sent more than our line could block, Michael had to hurry or scramble. Once we started hitting the quicker out patterns to offset the blitz, they had no answer.

Receivers played very well. Only 1 or 2 drops that I can remember.

This was definitely McKinney's best game of the year. He was everywhere on defense. Big Max played huge on the Dline. Lots of good hard hits by the Blackcat defense, but alot of arm tackling too. Matewan broke alot of tackles.

Great game by Josh Craynon too. His pick late in the game was an outstanding play. He had the play covered perfectly, broke on the ball perfectly, and made an awesome pick.

Matewan is not terrible. On their scoring drive, they mixed smashmouth here we come football with short quick out passing patterns very well. However, they were just outclassed. They were about the same size as the Cats, just as quick, and their backs ran very, very hard. But, as the game wore on, the better team just rose to the top.

All in all, I'm glad that we got out of there with the win and with only a mild injury to Josh Blackburn. Spoke with Blake Burchett after the game. He said that Josh was wanting to get up and go back in the game, but since he was having tingling and burning in both arms, he felt it was best not to chance it and have it looked at at Williamson Memorial.

Great job Cats. You have made believers out of alot of people who doubted you at the start of the year.
Congrats Pburg! Hope Josh is alright.
When Michael Burchett got that head shot from one of Matewan's players and they thought they had hurt him the whole Matewan's sideline was cheering even the coaches. That show their coaches and players have no class.
ONE exception to the classless Matewan team, #56 (I think that was it) was a very classy player who just played very hard. Their coach and the rest of the players however, totally classless. The whole community should be ashamed.
Congrats to Prestonburg on a nice win! Looks like you guys will take the number 2 ranking in the mountains! :popcorn:
Congrats P-Burg
blackcat_mc Wrote:ONE exception to the classless Matewan team, #56 (I think that was it) was a very classy player who just played very hard. Their coach and the rest of the players however, totally classless. The whole community should be ashamed.

They take pride in it.

People wonder why Belfry gets players from WVa., I give you example #1-#50 = Matewan.

Talk to those who have gotten away from there.

On the game congrats P-burg, but I suggest you never go back to Matewan again, it only gets worse.
If you ever want to look for CLASS at Matewan, just spell it with the last 3 letters and that is what you get.
Now people know why David Jones left Matewan!!!
Listened to this one on the radio. Sounded like a very one-sided game for P'burg, but a one-sided officiated game for Matewan. I wish Blackburn a speedy recovery. Anyone know how he is doing?

Congrats to the Blackcats.
Way to go P-burg. Matewan has no class.
On the way home from the game last night, I was listening to the Paintsville Station (I know...kinda weird that we could pick it up in Matewan...). They have a pretty good post game wrap up segment. They made the comment that Prestonsburg thrashed Matewan, and that some of the Matewan fans were not very happy about it, but "we'll let you all read about that somewhere else".

I was wondering just what exactly the Matewan fans were saying about the game. Anyone heard? I know they were upset with our "shameful" student section, but seemed to be fine with their shameful, classless players and coaches...
NEXT Wrote:They take pride in it.

People wonder why Belfry gets players from WVa., I give you example #1-#50 = Matewan.

Talk to those who have gotten away from there.

On the game congrats P-burg, but I suggest you never go back to Matewan again, it only gets worse.

Agree!! Some parents would rather pay tutition and send their children 15 minutes down the road (across the bridge) than have to put up with this type of crap! It's total nonsense! Maybe now P-burg fans get a idea of what we get every year during the Hatfield/McCoy Bowl and WHY everyone keeps complaining about it! Ah, look at it this way, if you signed a contract to play them 2 years, they come to P-burg next year! :Thumbs:
The sad part is now Pburg has seen how classless Yogi Kinder is ON THE FIELD, yet his morals OFF THE FIELD even supercedes that.
Congrats Blackcats! Keep Rollin!:Clap:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The sad part is now Pburg has seen how classless Yogi Kinder is ON THE FIELD, yet his morals OFF THE FIELD even supercedes that.

I have to say you know him very well he is a piece of
crip. Mingo co school system please do your kids a favor
and get rid of him.
:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:
This happens in all sports in WV. It dont matter who you play over there the refs never want a WV team to lose to a KY team.
Good win Pburg