Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What if Belfry had won! Could they beat Owensboro??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just curious about this one Smile
If they stepped up their pass coverage, absolutely. If they struggle in pass coverage, they'd be hurting. How has Belfry done against passing teams this year or have they played any?
None that i can think of.
Yeah, I think they would have. The only passing team that we played all year was Pikeville and our pass defense was awesome that night ..... Henry Clay threw some, but they were a power team that relied alot on the run, and at that early in the year we were'nt wrapping up and bringing down.
I think everyone knows that Belfry is a better team than Russell, but we made some really quick mistakes Sad
That lasted 2 quarters sadly enough
But in the last half.....We shined!!! like true Champions always do!!!!
Rocky Wrote:I think everyone knows that Belfry is a better team than Russell, but we made some really quick mistakes Sad

Russell controled the 1st half when Belfry made a some mistakes Belfy controlled the 2nd half when Russell made some mistakes. But Russell came out with the win so I think that Russell is the better team this year.
Nothing against russell, But when a team is in control,they tend to capitalize and make even more distance between themselves and the other team. Russell didnt. the sign of a true champion...
Belfry had the game. It was theirs to win...3 or 4 penalties in a row..however much it was...killed Belfry at the end.
Rocky Wrote:Nothing against russell, But when a team is in control,they tend to capitalize and make even more distance between themselves and the other team. Russell didnt. the sign of a true champion...

Much like we did last year against O-Cath.:no:

Championship teams win games, period. Where as they win by 1 or 100 it does not matter, a win is a win.

But, back to the subject, I think we would have beaten Catholic like a drum. And I would really love for Russell to do the same.
Rocky Wrote:Nothing against russell, But when a team is in control,they tend to capitalize and make even more distance between themselves and the other team. Russell didnt. the sign of a true champion...

The same can be said about Belfry. The next to last drive where they scored on a play that was called back due to penalty. They were in control of the game at that point. They had totally won the 2nd half and were only trailing 20-14. Inside the 10. Illegal procedure moves them back 5 yards. A few plays later aiding by a holding penalty and multiple fumbles you have 3rd and 43 from the 48. Belfry was in control and was not able to capitalize. So by your explanation neither of these teams are true champions. Vise Versa, I believe both teams are champions and either would represent Eastern Kentucky well next week at PJS.
Rocky im sorry but if they beat you apparently they are the better team not you all
They would have had a good chance but I don't think they would have won
Both teams made mistakes in the game and Belfry got ever break when the yellow flag was thrown. You got to remember that two potential td's were called back or the one fumble into the end zone that was very questionable also. Belfry had two drives with a chance to win and on one they stopped themselves but on the other Russell stepped up and made the big pick. I was really dissapointed with the way some of Belfry's players sportmanship. Matt Maynard punched one kid and threw the ball into the face of another and never got flagged. Other than the one drive when Belfry got set back to 3rd and 38 they didnt have hardly any penalty yards against them. Seems like Matt wasnt ready to play. Not the same kid that ran wild on ever team they played this year. He seemed to be frustrated the whole game and really got by with some stuff that should have been called. And as for this thread thats why this game was played to see who would be playing on the turf in Louisville. What if can drive you crazy. Congradulations to the Pirates on a great season and a great run as Kentucky state champs.
Hawks nest Wrote:Both teams made mistakes in the game and Belfry got ever break when the yellow flag was thrown. You got to remember that two potential td's were called back or the one fumble into the end zone that was very questionable also. Belfry had two drives with a chance to win and on one they stopped themselves but on the other Russell stepped up and made the big pick. I was really dissapointed with the way some of Belfry's players sportmanship. Matt Maynard punched one kid and threw the ball into the face of another and never got flagged. Other than the one drive when Belfry got set back to 3rd and 38 they didnt have hardly any penalty yards against them. Seems like Matt wasnt ready to play. Not the same kid that ran wild on ever team they played this year. He seemed to be frustrated the whole game and really got by with some stuff that should have been called. And as for this thread thats why this game was played to see who would be playing on the turf in Louisville. What if can drive you crazy. Congradulations to the Pirates on a great season and a great run as Kentucky state champs.

Were you at the game or is this just hearsay?

I'm talking about all the bad calls that favored Belfry and the bad sportsmanship the Pirates showed.
dirty ?
i tell ya , right in front of me, maynard punched one of russells player after tackling him .. no flags was thrown then.. russell had the ball thrown at them and fowls that wasnt thrown on .. now tell me who had the refs.. most of this happened right in front of me, and i wasnt the only one who saw it.. i dont know how many times a flag should have been thrown on belfry that wasnt, but we got fouls that was unreal..
sorry if you have no respect for one, but if you cheer for belfry, you do..
also, i thought that this is something that was posted NOT to do on threads, but i will NOT sit here and watch my team have things said like this is NOT stick up for them.. should have watched it more closely!
Red Devilette Wrote:dirty ?
i tell ya , right in front of me, maynard punched one of russells player after tackling him .. no flags was thrown then.. russell had the ball thrown at them and fowls that wasnt thrown on .. now tell me who had the refs.. most of this happened right in front of me, and i wasnt the only one who saw it.. i dont know how many times a flag should have been thrown on belfry that wasnt, but we got fouls that was unreal..
sorry if you have no respect for one, but if you cheer for belfry, you do..
also, i thought that this is something that was posted NOT to do on threads, but i will NOT sit here and watch my team have things said like this is NOT stick up for them.. should have watched it more closely!

Man I can see how this one is shaping out to be another one of these-----
:yesno:
Nah, i wont argue stupidity with someone.. they should have paid full attention, and of course their player didnt do the punching or dirty hits on their side line, they wouldnt want the fans to see that.. that is his opinion, but i will have to tell ya, he is probably in the minority of thinking that russell ISNT a respected team right now..
Red Devilette Wrote:Nah, i wont argue stupidity with someone.. they should have paid full attention, and of course their player didnt do the punching or dirty hits on their side line, they wouldnt want the fans to see that.. that is his opinion, but i will have to tell ya, he is probably in the minority of thinking that russell ISNT a respected team right now..

They got my respect as well as the cat house. :Thumbs:
Well they sure have mine, they played their hearts out..
Thank you Wink
Well I dont see in throwing punches and throwing the football at players when they stop you for a loss or keep you from getting a first down. I know it is hard to give up the dream when you get that far but just was really dissappointed in the sportsmanship and mostly from the same player from Belfry. If anyone had the refs in their pocket you can in no way say it was Russell. Othere than the one drive that Belfry got set back to the 3rd and 38 they had not gotten a flag hardly all night. If you were there you would have seen Russell had two touchdowns called back also. I cant see where you get they had the refs in their back pocket. How many times was there late hits on Russell out of bounds that didnt get called? I didnt see a dirty team out there playing out there. I saw two teams refusing to lose and being overly agressive at times. But to think that someone had the ref in their back pockets needs to look at the game in whole. Not just the one drive that set Belfry back. I was neutral in this game. My wife is from Russell and I work in the Belfry area and have so many friends over there. It is hard to take a loss either way but I do wanna thank both teams for one of the most enjoyable games I have seen in high school football in a while. GO RED DEVILS bring it home and great year Pirates. No one gave you a shot to get where you did. Take this and let it motivate you next year to start another streak.
well said dear Wink lol
I can say Belfry played their hearts out too, they didnt wanna lose, no team wants to..
go DEVILS and make us proud !
I thought this was about if Belfry cld have beaten OC., not just a continuation of another thresd about Belfry-Russell game. MY opinion is that Belfry wld have about as much chance of beating them as Russell has and that is a very slim chance, OC seems to be hitting on all cylinders so far in the playoffs.
Hawks nest,
Accoridng to the WDN Maynard ran for over 100 yards... he also made quite possibly the greatest defensive play I have seen in some time running down the Russell QB and stripping him to prevent Russell from going up 4 TD's. Maynard also probably lost 25 yards of his rushing total by trying to make a play out of nothing. Also, refer to the 1st half on 3rd and 4 when Belfry runs a sweep and Maynard gets tackled by his ankles... if the other Belfry back picks up his block that play was at least a 20 yard gain.

Penalty wise the refs did a great job calling this one... every call on Belfry was something we did. You can't blame the refs for the timing of the calls, if you committ the penalty then you get flagged.

Russell was the better team Friday night, they won. But, we will be a nearly unstoppable team next year. As for this year we won't know how Belfry would fare until after the Russell-OC game.
I thought the refs did a pretty good job... and I don't see how you can say they were calling the game for Russell... At least 2 of the times they called a personal foul on Russell I felt it should have been an offsetting penalty because I saw a Belfry player with a late hit also.. So I don't think the refs decided the winner of this game
so overall the refs where A-O-K :High5:
Yes they could have...but hey they had a good season..
Rocky Wrote:I think everyone knows that Belfry is a better team than Russell, but we made some really quick mistakes Sad

If that's true how come WE are going to the carpet this year??????

This may get me booted real quick but I am tired of hearing all of that nonsense. Russell was the better team on Friday. PERIOD end of story.Rolleyes
Maynard never punched anyone..and we figured since we been to the carpet 2 years in a row we would someone else go this year
Pages: 1 2