Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region Baseball Trivia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Without looking it up and just off the top of your head....
Which current 14th region school owns the most wins (3) and has the most appearances (4) in the baseball state tournament?
Powell County or Hazard
No, Hazard is actually second though with (3) appearances, and (1) win - that coming in 1980 the year they was runner-up in the state.

Powell County has never been to the state tournament.
Jenkins
Yes, it is Jenkins, (4) appearances - 4 straight seasons 1951-1954. State runner-up in 1953 losing to Bardstown St. Joseph 21-10. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.khsaa.org/records/baseball/st...played.pdf
http://www.khsaa.org/records/baseball/al...scores.pdf
rawlingsfan Wrote:No, Hazard is actually second though with (3) appearances, and (1) win - that coming in 1980 the year they was runner-up in the state.

Powell County has never been to the state tournament.

I would consider winning the region as going to state. If you win the region in any other sport, you go to state. Saying that, I would think that Hazard has went more times that you have asked and they made it to the final four in the mid 90's.
Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!
JustTrying Wrote:I would consider winning the region as going to state. If you win the region in any other sport, you go to state. Saying that, I would think that Hazard has went more times that you have asked and they made it to the final four in the mid 90's.

It will be starting this spring! As far as winning the region, I'd say Hazard would be a safe bet. Up until 1975 I think there was only 8 regions in baseball. Districts might be made up up of 8-12 teams. 1976-2002 you had sectionals regions 1-4, 5-8, etc. with the 4 winners going to the state tournament. 2003-2009 semi-state best 2 out of 3, with the 8 winners going to the state tournament.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Yes, it is Jenkins, (4) appearances - 4 straight seasons 1951-1954. State runner-up in 1953 losing to Bardstown St. Joseph 21-10. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.khsaa.org/records/baseball/st...played.pdf
http://www.khsaa.org/records/baseball/al...scores.pdf

and sadly, don't even have a coach yet, what is going on there?
When Consolidation Coal left Jenkins..IT took alot out of that community...Alot of Pride went with it..
Baseball was big in the coal camps of McRoberts, Dunham, Burdine, and Jenkins. All of these fed into Jenkins High School.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Baseball was big in the coal camps of McRoberts, Dunham, Burdine, and Jenkins. All of these fed into Jenkins High School.
I have a TON of pictures from teams then..
JustTrying Wrote:I would consider winning the region as going to state. If you win the region in any other sport, you go to state. Saying that, I would think that Hazard has went more times that you have asked and they made it to the final four in the mid 90's.

I see what your saying, but I think you have to look at it the same way football does. It's not considered going to state unless your playing in that final game. I'm not saying you have to go to the finals because you dont, but just winning the region(until this year)doesn't really constitute "going to state," and I think unless you win the section you can't really say that. That may be why they have set it up the way they have this year with having 16 teams going to the state just like basketball. Maybe they should have done that along time ago.[/
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
Surprising that Fleming Neon wasn't mentioned in this, but I forgot they had to play semi state. They had one heck of a team back in 2001 I think it was. Not for sure the year, but I know Brian Milam sure does.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Surprising that Fleming Neon wasn't mentioned in this, but I forgot they had to play semi state. They had one heck of a team back in 2001 I think it was. Not for sure the year, but I know Brian Milam sure does.

2001 Fleming Neon football was one of my top two favorites with1999 Lawrence Co. the other. My first story as a member of the WYMT sports staff was on Fleming Neon baseball in 1999. Neon was in the midst of a 20 game winning streak before losing to PCC 11-0 in the regional semi-finals. The Pirates had to rally to beat Cordia in round one 7-6. The Lions jumped out to a 6-0 lead...then the *brilliant* coaching of JJ Wright TongueirateSho brought them through!!! I had to throw JJ under the bus.
Fleming-Neon (last 10 years of existence):
1996- Dist. Runner-up / Reg. Semi-finals
1997- Dist. Champs / Reg. Champs
1998- Dist. Champs / Reg. Champs
1999- Dist. Champs / Reg. Semi-finals
2000- Dist. Champs / Lost in 1st Round
2001- Dist. Champs / Lost in 1st Round
2002- Dist. Runner-up / Lost in 1st Round
2003- Lost in District
2004- Lost in District
2005- Lost in District
2006- Consolidation
Brian Milam Wrote::lmao::lmao::lmao:
LOL, as long as you don't pull a
"And Boom Goes the Dynamite"...performance..Have you seen that on youtube Brian? If you haven't...IT IS A MUST!