Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: In EKY--What is more important?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In Eastern Kentucky--which high school sport is more important (or followed with greater interest:

Football
Basketball

In NKY--there are times when I think that Football has become the sport of choice.

What is the real answer here?
I think it all depends on how good the school's teams are...
like at shelby valley or paintsville i'd say they'd take basketball over football any day
but at pikeville this year we were so pumped about football b/c we had a new coach and our team was doin good considering we lost some great seniors...
but we also have a new ball coach this year too so we'll see how they do...

thats just my opinion though
Football...by far, but basketball is not too far behind

You have teams like Belfry, Ashland, Bell Co., Breathitt, Prestonsburg, Pikeville, Russell, Middlesboro, Rockcastle Co....all these teams are generally considered football powerhouses.

Where as in Basketball there is teams such as Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, Allen Central, Paintsville, Belfry and Betsy Layne that succeed in Basketball very well.
In Ashland it's all football.
In East KY basketball is king as a region.
Lawrence its football but basketball isnt to far behind now.
The outward appearance--I thought it would easily be football. But it seems like there are a lot of people who check out the basketball forum here. It also seems like they get a lot more heated as far as the topics go.
Football
I agree with BelfryPride, some schools are basketball schools, and others are football schools. It just depends on the area you are in.
It seems that this region might be more basketball because there are more teams that are average that make the region as a whole more even and better play. But when you try to look at who has a chance to make it far in the playoffs (aka State) then you would have to go with Football.

So it all depends on what you want. Competition within the region or out in the state.
I would say:
Prestonsburg, Pikeville, Lawrence County and Belfry-Football
Rest of the 15th Region-Basketball
BelfryPride Wrote:You have teams like Belfry, Ashland, Bell Co., Breathitt, Prestonsburg, Pikeville, Russell, Middlesboro, Rockcastle Co....all these teams are generally considered football powerhouses.

Where as in Basketball there is teams such as Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, Allen Central, Paintsville, Belfry and Betsy Layne that succeed in Basketball very well.

VERY intellegent post BP. To me, basketball is the biggest. I enjoy watching the sport more than football. Basketball draws a bigger crowd at my school, they have more support, etc. BUT basically it's this simple:
Some schools are basketball schools, some schools are football schools.
Period.
I guess its reminds of like the UK scenario. We support our football teams no matter how bad they are but look forward to basketball season starting. However, This is not all schools in EKY. The traditional football powerhouses like Belfry, Ashland and Russel this probably wouldn't apply because they usually play well into basketball season and the fans hate to see the football season end
I agree on the loyalty part. It seems like there is a great deal of loyalty involved when it comes to the mountain schools.

Some of the schools up here could learn a thing or 2.
For me, I get sick at my stomach when football season is over. I'm like one of my kids when I tell them they can't do something. They puff up and go off and powt.Smile I like basketball, but the intensity and atmoshpere(sp) of football is second to none. I'm already looking foward to next season.
BelfryPride Wrote:Football...by far, but basketball is not too far behind

You have teams like Belfry, Ashland, Bell Co., Breathitt, Prestonsburg, Pikeville, Russell, Middlesboro, Rockcastle Co....all these teams are generally considered football powerhouses.

I really wouldn't consider Belfry a basketball school... they are all football
Prestonsburg is pretty big on basketball.. but football is probably a little bigger
id say more basketball around here than football..i dont know what it is about it but id love for it to be a football supporting part of KY.