Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Austin Collinsworth Season to date
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prior to this season many prognasticators predicted that Austin Collinsworth would be a prime candidate for Mr. Football. An All State player each of the last two seasons, Austin is having a tremendous season thus far on limited touches.

He has rushed 47 times for 535 yards and scored 10 touchdowns through 4 games. This is 133 yrds per game and over 10 yrds a carry as well as 2.5 TD's a game. If he keeps this pace up through the next 6 games he will finish the regular season with over 1300 rushing yards and 25 Touchdowns on only 117 carries.

Is this enough to warrant a Mr. Football crown? If he leads the Birds to the Class 5A state championship for the third year in a row would that solidify this recognition?

:popcorn:
qryche11 Wrote:Prior to this season many prognasticators predicted that Austin Collinsworth would be a prime candidate for Mr. Football. An All State player each of the last two seasons, Austin is having a tremendous season thus far on limited touches.

He has rushed 47 times for 535 yards and scored 10 touchdowns through 4 games. This is 133 yrds per game and over 10 yrds a carry as well as 2.5 TD's a game. If he keeps this pace up through the next 6 games he will finish the regular season with over 1300 rushing yards and 25 Touchdowns on only 117 carries.

Is this enough to warrant a Mr. Football crown? If he leads the Birds to the Class 5A state championship for the third year in a row would that solidify this recognition?

Who knows with the voters, never can tell bout em.
It is tough to say because voters can easily go one way or another. I think he could easily win the award if he keeps playing good and Highlands makes a run at the title again.
Good question, but (and I don't mean to be offensive) honestly I don't care about Mr. Football or any other individual award. It's not about individual awards; its about winning a state title and team accomplishments. I'd take a state championship and a win over Cinti X over any one from Highlands (including my son) winning Mr. Football. :biggrin:
charlie22 Wrote:Good question, but (and I don't mean to be offensive) honestly I don't care about Mr. Football or any other individual award. It's not about individual awards; its about winning a state title and team accomplishments. I'd take a state championship and a win over Cinti X over any one from Highlands (including my son) winning Mr. Football. :biggrin:

I think that goes without saying and since AC has 2 rings already qouldnt you say its in the back of his mind everytime he touches the ball? I mean we all know how bad the Birds want to beat cincy St X and threepeat but bringing the Mr. Football crown back to Fort Thomas would be awesome. My question is if Dale keeps giving him the same amount of touches and he continues to take advantage by putting up these great numbers, will it be enough?
Watch any game. He's electric. I haven't seen that kind of running from a Birds back in years....An athlete is an athlete no matter how many touches he gets. He will win hands down, but only if the Birds bring home another title....
qryche11 Wrote:I think that goes without saying and since AC has 2 rings already qouldnt you say its in the back of his mind everytime he touches the ball? I mean we all know how bad the Birds want to beat cincy St X and threepeat but bringing the Mr. Football crown back to Fort Thomas would be awesome. My question is if Dale keeps giving him the same amount of touches and he continues to take advantage by putting up these great numbers, will it be enough?

Knowing Austin well, I really don't think it's in the back of his mind when he touches the ball or at any other time either. Some fans get more wrapped up in Mr. Football than the players do. Speaking for myself, I couldn't care less if the Mr. Football award comes back to Ft. Thomas.

Addressing your question, I think the answer depends on what other players do and how successful their teams are in the post season. IE, if Simpson puts up big numbers in the regular season and SK beats X in the playoffs (or even if they lose to X but Simpson has 200 yds rushing and puts on a show) then Austin's limited carries may hurt. But I can assure you that Dale isn't going to let that affect his play calling one iota. Nor should it.
qryche11 Wrote:Prior to this season many prognasticators predicted that Austin Collinsworth would be a prime candidate for Mr. Football. An All State player each of the last two seasons, Austin is having a tremendous season thus far on limited touches.

Depends on when/if he commits to the University of Kentucky. I know it may not be right, but it has an effect on the voters. If Collinsworth goes to UK he is Mr. Football IMO.
Who does he wanna play for?
Super-Card Wrote:Depends on when/if he commits to the University of Kentucky. I know it may not be right, but it has an effect on the voters. If Collinsworth goes to UK he is Mr. Football IMO.

Great point and very true.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Who does he wanna play for?

I'm not sure on who exactly he wants to play for but as of right now here are the schools that are interested (and I may be leaving off a few too):

Kentucky
Louisville
Florida
Cincinnati
Stanford

And I'll talk to somebody who knows more about the situation too to see what schools Austin is really looking at...
Austin Collinsworth schools of interest...

Schools that have already offered:
Cincinnati
Kentucky
Louisiville
Middle Tennessee State
Stanford
Vanderbilt

Schools that are interested (but have not offered):
Florida
Indiana
Tennessee
UCLA
Western Kentucky
AC has taken visits to both Stanford and Vanderbilt, but I wouldn't expect him to end up at either....
His top 3 are, in no particular order:

Harvard
Stanford
Vandy
What position does Austin want to play at the next level?

I'd really like to see him go to UK and become a receiver or safety.
I think RB. I think he could have more success at WR or DB in the SEC.
I would love to see UK as well. I don't think it will happen.

I believe Austin sees the value in getting the best possible education. He is a bright kid from a great family and understands that a degree from a top university has tremendous value.
You can bet the scouts who have yet to offer will be looking closely at his performance against Cincinnati St. Xavier to see how he sizes up against a stiffer defense. No offense to Austin, but running around the Beechwood Tiger sophomores isn't the same as the quick and smothering D of X.
I would expect AC to choose UK and I am sticking with that. I think he wants to play in the SEC and stay close to home. UK isnt too shabby of an education, just ask his mom.
Ask his mom? sucka please. By the way, what's the number?
Capitalist Pig Wrote:I think RB. I think he could have more success at WR or DB in the SEC.
I would love to see UK as well. I don't think it will happen.

I believe Austin sees the value in getting the best possible education. He is a bright kid from a great family and understands that a degree from a top university has tremendous value.

That is why I heard he is leaning towards Stanford.
qryche11 Wrote:I would expect AC to choose UK and I am sticking with that. I think he wants to play in the SEC and stay close to home. UK isnt too shabby of an education, just ask his mom.

I do not think staying close to home is a big priority. The family travels alot with thier life style. Older sister is at Univ of Florida and family flies down often to visit. Cost of travel will not be a factor.
sstack Wrote:I do not think staying close to home is a big priority. The family travels alot with thier life style. Older sister is at Univ of Florida and family flies down often to visit. Cost of travel will not be a factor.

Once again that goes without saying for his immediate family but they have numerous friends and family local as well and i dont think they will be loading up the Jet full of Highlands fans for all of AC's games. His mom was a cheerleader at UK and I think AC could see the field right away at UK especially as a punt returner or special teams player. If they put 15 more pounds on him then he could be a dynamite RB.
Capitalist Pig Wrote:His top 3 are, in no particular order:

Harvard
Stanford
Vandy

I agree.
I sure hope that he ends up at UK.
Amped 88 Wrote:I sure hope that he ends up at UK.

I do as well. It is just not likely to happen.
qryche11 Wrote:His mom was a cheerleader at UK

His Granddaddy Collinsworth played basketball at UK for Rupp. His uncle went there as well. I don't believe any of those figure into the decision one way or the other.

As much as I would like to see him at UK, I believe the schools he is considering and the criteria he is using to base his decision on are right for him.

He is a smart, talented and humble young man with a very bright future. A degree from a top university will be a major asset for him following his football playing days. He is wise beyond his years to understand this so clearly at 17.
I have only seen film on this kid, and all i can say is WOW!
Capitalist Pig Wrote:His Granddaddy Collinsworth played basketball at UK for Rupp. His uncle went there as well. I don't believe any of those figure into the decision one way or the other.

As much as I would like to see him at UK, I believe the schools he is considering and the criteria he is using to base his decision on are right for him.

He is a smart, talented and humble young man with a very bright future. A degree from a top university will be a major asset for him following his football playing days. He is wise beyond his years to understand this so clearly at 17.

This kid has seen what you can do after football with a good education by what his dad has accompolished. Like I said before, look for him to look at a schools academics not just their sports facilities. Highlands preaches education more than they do sports. Maybe highly educated players is a factor in Highlands winning records in football.
sstack Wrote:This kid has seen what you can do after football with a good education by what his dad has accompolished. Like I said before, look for him to look at a schools academics not just their sports facilities. Highlands preaches education more than they do sports. Maybe highly educated players is a factor in Highlands winning records in football.

Great post
Very true