Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NFL OT needs to change.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who thinks it it just boring to watch a NFL team play in OT.. Myself would love to see them go to a format like college use.
Agree!!!! It is awful the way it is done. Your offense gets in field goal distance it's pretty much money.
I agree it needs to switch to a college style format.
yeah, I think its need to go to the College format.....
College Format
i dont even like college format except for college!!! if that makes since but i believe if we pay 2, 3, $400 a ticket then them boys should play a extra quarter of football if need be. not sudden death! and if still tied then call it a tie!!!!
I think a format between College and NFL would be good. I don't like how easy it is to score in the College football overtime but I don't like how only one team usually gets the ball in NFL. I do like the NFL overtime better though.

The NFL has a coin toss. The coin toss is a perfect 50/50 chance to get the ball. Also, the NFL actually makes you play DEFENSE! College football if the defense messes up then the offense can just score and WIN or score and tie.

The biggest problem with college is that Team A can get the ball first kick a field goal and go up by 3. NFL the game is over, you scored you win, but since this is college Team B gets a chance. Team B gets the ball and scores a touchdown and wins. To some that sounds like a dream come true, but I hate it.
Bottom line is, NFL needs college OT, D-1 needs NFL Playoffs.
I need to clarify what I posted earlier. The ONLY two things I don't like about college are the fact that both teams can score and one team still lose and the fact that the score at the end of regulation could be 7-7 but at the end of the game could be 35-34. That changes the ENTIRE game!
I agree with what the commissioner says about this issue. Overtime should be kept as it is because it encourages the players to play seriously throughout the game. No NFL player wants to go into overtime, definitely if they can win in regulation. This is because in overtime, chance is a factor for the winner. (In a college format, the New England Patriots won't care about going into overtime against the Detroit Lions because they know they'll most likely score a touchdown every time. In the present NFL format, even though the New England Patriots could beat the Detroit Lions, they still don't want to go into overtime with them. This is because anything can happen; the Detroit Lions could win the coin toss and get a 50-yard field goal.)
I hate the rule. Would cause OT to end quicker in my opinion if they do it like college football. On the 20, get 4 chance, then your other team gets 4 chances. After 3 tries you have to go for 2. Field goals get pushed back 10 yards each time a set has been kicked.
one thing i do like about college someone has to lose and after 2nd OT they have to go for 2 points
not exactly like college football, but both teams should have a chance to get the ball, not decided on a coil flip
I agree it needs changed the way it is now stinks.
I agree it's a format that puts too much up to chance (the coin toss) i myself have always thought they should give a 5th 5 min. quarter. Any1 agree?
Neither format is perfect, but i would hate it if the NFL went to the college format...I like the sudden death of it...it's not like the team who wins the toss is given the ball 20 yards away from the goal post...they gotta drive down the field and score and the defense has a chance to stop them....i've seen plent of NFL games where the Defense stops em and gets the ball back for their offense....it's more urgent the way the NFL does it...college format needs to change...at least don't put them so close to the dang endzone
I say either give both teams a chance like college except start them at mid field or either just play like a 6 minute quarter would probably be the best thing. Most of the time NFL overtime is decided by the coin flip because whoever gets the ball is going to atleast get in field goal range.
Let each team have the ball on the 35 and go from there...As many times as it takes to have a winner..The fans will be happy, and can go home feeling like they didn't waste $100-350 a ticket.
I think they need to leave it like it is except have a few rules added to it. I think if you get the ball and you march down and score on a TD then you win the game but if you go and kick a field goal then the other team has a chance to march down the field and win. I am sure that made no since but its hard to explain what I mean.