Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tony Burchett & John Chapman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Johnson Central and Breathitt County has been two of the premire programs in the mountains the last few years. How much has losing their top assistant coaches affected these two teams this year? It's a well known fact that Burchett is one of the best O line coaches in the business as is Chapman on the D side of the ball. BC and JC has a combined record of 1-7 so far this season. Just a thought.
Losing Burchett for JC was huge. JC problems are in the line. JC also misses the spirit and example Burchett provided. Just ask past players how improtant Burchett was to the program!
I think that Breathitt misses Chapman's intensity and toughness more then his X's and O's (which he is great at too).
JC losing Burchett is killing that team this year...and yes he is that important to any team he is involved with..
Chapman was the heart and soul of the Breathitt County Defense. Breathitt has won three state championships and a runner up state championship during Chapman's tenure at Breathitt. Breathitt has never advanced past the state semifinals without Chapman and it doesn't look like it is going to happen this year as well.
kyrifle Wrote:Johnson Central and Breathitt County has been two of the premire programs in the mountains the last few years. How much has losing their top assistant coaches affected these two teams this year? It's a well known fact that Burchett is one of the best O line coaches in the business as is Chapman on the D side of the ball. BC and JC has a combined record of 1-7 so far this season. Just a thought.

Finally somebody is thinking outside the box. GREAT POST! :Clap: Had the same conversation with some buddies of mine last night.
Brian,
Do you think it makes sense that every team that Tony Burchett seems to be associated with have great offensive line play? Note the great Johnson Central and Lawrence County teams. I fully expect Powell County to establish a great running game before too long.
Please add

Coach Steve Mickey to the topic. - Belfry.

He was the heart and soul of that Pirate defense. I think they are adjusting better than most because of the close knit staff, but his departure is being felt IMO.
After Tony Burchette left LC, their running game took a hit. That was in the middle of Michael West career too. He is a very good offensive line coach.
Burchett coached the O and D line for Haywood during his P-burg years. On a previous thread I had mentioned him as one of the top coaches of the region. I feel vindicated.

Chapman, if given time, will build an outstanding program at Pike Central.
hawg laig Wrote:Burchett coached the O and D line for Haywood during his P-burg years. On a previous thread I had mentioned him as one of the top coaches of the region. I feel vindicated.

Chapman, if given time, will build an outstanding program at Pike Central.

I know some people will laugh when I say this, but Pike Central and its feeders have athletes....as much as anyone in Pike and Floyd counties, it is just going to take time to develop them.
Wasn't Chapman at Pikeville for a while? I think I remember that did not turn out too well? They are missed if they are not replaced with quality people. I have no idea who replaced them? In JC's case they lost some very talented players as well. Breathit I was never too high on them last year either.
StrayBullet Wrote:Brian,
Do you think it makes sense that every team that Tony Burchett seems to be associated with have great offensive line play? Note the great Johnson Central and Lawrence County teams. I fully expect Powell County to establish a great running game before too long.

Don't forget about Bourbon. Even though they didn't win a lot of games, they still had one of the best rushing team in the state while Burchett was there. I think they even led the state in 02' or 03' for a while.
I brought all this up in the Pburg/Breathitt final score thread.
MonsterMan Wrote:Losing Burchett for JC was huge. JC problems are in the line. JC also misses the spirit and example Burchett provided. Just ask past players how improtant Burchett was to the program!

:Thumbs: Good post.
I am surprised that JC didn't make any moves to try and get Burchett to stay. Matney is NOT a one man show. He is a great coach, but his supporting cast is what makes the team what it is (was).
Lets not forget that Burchett also coached the offensive and defensive lines at Sheldon Clark under Matney and he did a great job.