Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Favorite Offensive Style
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you were the coach of a High School team in Eastern Kentucky, what style of offense would you run? Consider that you have Eastern Kentucky athletes also. Would the Spread be your choice? Or would you rather stay under center the whole time? Or balanced?
Wishbone all the way.

Love watching Belfry operate their offense.
I like watching Lawrence County's new offense, the Wing-T so many options you can run out of that, but for the mountains it has to be the Widhbone or the Power I.
With P-burg's - pro set or spread (similar to what they're doing)

With Belfry's - Wishbone (exactly what they're doing)

With Breathitt Co.'s - classic "I" formation (live and die with Fugate's running 1st and Haddix's passing 2nd)

With Sheldon Clark's - Power I (and forget the wide stuff...just power, baby)
On a year in year out basis in EKY you will struggle to find enough athlete's to consistently succeed from the spread. I am a big fan of integrating the "flex-bone" which Belfry uses alot of. It is a variation of the wsihbone except you can use motion and different looks.

Georgia Tech uses this under Paul Johnson at the collegiate level. First and foremost it is a fairly unique offense with unique blocking schemes.It gives you the versatility to pound it up the middle and between tackles and play ball contrl, but you also have the triple option component as well. The best part is by using your HB's as wings... it opens up more possibilites with the passing game as well.

I am a huge fan of the zone read option at the high school level, but truth be told the majority of EKY teams would be unable to have the athletes needed to excel using that offense.
The west coast offense.....Short intermediate passing routes, so you dont always need a strong armed quarterback, however this will require a smarter more dedicated quarterback. No one runs it so when an opponent came up against it they definetely wouldn't be ready for it because most teams dont have that many above average secondary defenders.
Whatever style fits the players on hand. Style means nothing if you don't have the type of athletes to play that style.
Spread.
Stardust Wrote:Whatever style fits the players on hand. Style means nothing if you don't have the type of athletes to play that style.

That is so true SD!
I'm definitely a fan of the Wishbone, or the Power I.
I was always fascinated by Coach Jack Hall's side saddle offense..would love to see a team run this now.
Stardust Wrote:Whatever style fits the players on hand. Style means nothing if you don't have the type of athletes to play that style.

:thumpsup: A great coach doesn't consider what offense is best to use in general, but how to use the unique players to win games.

Yet, if I had a choice between the different offenses, I would definitely go with a balanced offense. Getting the entire team involved wins games. Don't get one A+ player, but instead get a bunch of B- players and use them as a team.
Spread the field and pitch and catch. You might not have great athletes, but your opponent won't easier. Execute and make the running lanes bigger.
Wing-T all the way
Spread it out.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:On a year in year out basis in EKY you will struggle to find enough athlete's to consistently succeed from the spread. I am a big fan of integrating the "flex-bone" which Belfry uses alot of. It is a variation of the wsihbone except you can use motion and different looks.

Georgia Tech uses this under Paul Johnson at the collegiate level. First and foremost it is a fairly unique offense with unique blocking schemes.It gives you the versatility to pound it up the middle and between tackles and play ball contrl, but you also have the triple option component as well. The best part is by using your HB's as wings... it opens up more possibilites with the passing game as well.

I am a huge fan of the zone read option at the high school level, but truth be told the majority of EKY teams would be unable to have the athletes needed to excel using that offense.
The hardest thing I have ever seen to stop.
Spread it out!
Whichever offense fits my talent and whichever one they can execute the best.
Power I

Double-Wing
Old_Trojan Wrote:I was always fascinated by Coach Jack Hall's side saddle offense..would love to see a team run this now.

The Side Saddle Wing-T offense that Jack Hall won a State Championship at Elkhorn City back in the 60's that was one helluva offense. you could really run anything you wanted outta that one formation.
Why doesn't any use it no more? Is is too predictable?

:rockon:
I love the spread when you have the athletes to run it. I love the West Coast Offense, short pass routes easy on a quarterbacks arm. I love the wish and flex bone.

If I had to pick a favorite it'd have to be a mix up of a Wish/Flexbone and a WCO. Its do-able.
StrayBullet Wrote:Whichever offense fits my talent and whichever one they can execute the best.

wise advice. To many times you see coaching trying to fit a "system" to their team versus the team to a system. Have to look at what type of play you have and what can you run realisticly. When push comes to shove though give me Pro I between the tackles power football
wing t all the way
Kids don't have to be fast to run the spread. You can't tell me that most schools can't find 8 kids that can run decent routes and catch a football? They don't have to be fast. You teach them to run their routes in such a way that it can make up for some of their speed deficiencies.
If you have the horses and the offensive line, line up in the bone and get 5 yards a pop. Wear down the other team in the 2nd half. You must always adapt your offense to your talent, not talent to your offense!
Pupaw Wrote:If you were the coach of a High School team in Eastern Kentucky, what style of offense would you run? Consider that you have Eastern Kentucky athletes also. Would the Spread be your choice? Or would you rather stay under center the whole time? Or balanced?
I think it is more a matter of playcalling more than a "system." As a coach it is up to me to call the plays that I know have a better chance of success, and avoid the plays that have a history of not working. Changing formations is huge and keeps the defense off guard, and you can call the same play out of different formations to get the matchups you want.
i personally like the spead option but it requires alot of speed and a smart athletic qb
CoachB Wrote:If you have the horses and the offensive line, line up in the bone and get 5 yards a pop. Wear down the other team in the 2nd half. You must always adapt your offense to your talent, not talent to your offense!

So why crowd the box? If my 11 are anywhere close to your 11 (and I can coach a lick) I'll stop that no problem. Why not spread the field and use my 5 verses the other teams 5 in the box and get the rest of those guys out of there?
Pages: 1 2