Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Favorite Nicknames
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a fun thread that everyone can enjoy.

What are some of the best nicknames that you know of for high school teams. I lived most of my life in Ohio and these were my favorites:

Jackson IRONMEN
Unioto SHERMAN TANKS
London RED RAIDERS
Georgetown G-MEN
Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education (CAPE) CRUSADERS

In Kentucky I like:

Boyle County, Boone County, Casey County REBELS (no Rebels in Ohio)
Somerset BRIAR JUMPERS
Danville ADMIRALS
Trinity SHAMROCKS

I was stationed at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina and the base high school team was the:

LeJeune DEVILPUPS
Allen Central is also the Rebels......
West Virginia
Poca Dots

Kentucky
Somerset Briar Jumpers
I am sure I will think of some more later
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Here's a fun thread that everyone can enjoy.

What are some of the best nicknames that you know of for high school teams. I lived most of my life in Ohio and these were my favorites:

Jackson IRONMEN
Unioto SHERMAN TANKS
London RED RAIDERS
Georgetown G-MEN
Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education (CAPE) CRUSADERS

In Kentucky I like:

Boyle County, Boone County, Casey County REBELS (no Rebels in Ohio)
Somerset BRIAR JUMPERS
Danville ADMIRALS
Trinity SHAMROCKS

I was stationed at Camp LeJeune in North Carolina and the base high school team was the:

LeJeune DEVILPUPS

The devil pups thats pretty good. I had a cousin that was a Marine and when I was a kid he always brought me a Marine shirt that had a bulldog on it.
I like the Somerset Briar Jumpers.
We have a couple of different ones in the NKY area. Silver Grove Big Trains and Lloyd Juggernauts, and the Bracken County Polar Bears a bit to the south.
Briar Jumpers.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Briar Jumpers.

by far my favorite
Van Lear H.S. - BANK MULES
Martin H.S. - PURPLE FLASH
I think McDowell H.S. was the DARE DEVILS (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
BurntTires Wrote:I like the Somerset Briar Jumpers.

I remember when they used to have a yellow rabbit on their purple helmets. It ain't easy to make a rabbit look tough... but always thought it was cool.
Old School Wrote:Van Lear H.S. - BANK MULES
Martin H.S. - PURPLE FLASH
I think McDowell H.S. was the DARE DEVILS (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

:Thumbs:

Though I think they ran it together - "Daredevils"
The Poca Dots are my favorite.

I also like the Polarbears for Bracken County.
I like the Titans
Blue Birds is unusual and unique.

Briair' Jumpers is by far the best though in Kentucky.
There used to be a high school that was the HellCats in eastern ky...cant remember who though
gish_7 Wrote:There used to be a high school that was the HellCats in eastern ky...cant remember who though

Hellier
In Shoals, Indiana the high school team is called the Jug Rocks. There is a big rock on the side of a hill in town that stands about 2 or 3 stories. There mascot is the Rock. They don't have a football team but the mascot is interesting. The rock has a big top and bottom base and has been weathered down in the middle. Almost looks like a capital I.
oneijoe Wrote:I remember when they used to have a yellow rabbit on their purple helmets. It ain't easy to make a rabbit look tough... but always thought it was cool.
I might be prejudiced but I also think BRIAR JUMPERS is the best Nickname I have ever heard. However, for at least the last 40 years (maybe forever) Somerset has had Gold (or Yellow back in the day) head gear with no decals or mascots on it. I suspect the reason we always had plain helmets is because as you said, it's hard to make a Rabbit look tough.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Hellier

If my memory is correct wasnt that combined with another school too make up Millard High School (now apart of East Ridge High School)?
I like the (Juggernauts).
Somerset Briar Jumpers is the coolest nickname in Kentucky

Although I wanted the new Muhlenberg County High School to be named the Galaxy, since MNHS was the Stars and MSHS was the Suns...but unfortunately they voted and they are now the Mustangs! Don't see alot of wild Mustangs running around Muhlenberg county.
WV - The Poca Dots