Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cov. Holy Cross 32 Pikeville 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good win for Holy Cross to put them at 2-0 to start the year. Pikeville will only get better.
Stayed till halftime and Pikeville was struggling. The defense did alright, but the offense fumbled the ball around 3-4 times just in the first half alone. Pikeville QB, Branham did look pretty good. Just didn't have much time to pass nor had many open receivers. But Pikeville must have got some things going on offense after I left scoring 14 points.

Holy Cross's Markel Walker is one heck of a football player. Fast, throws a tight spiral, accuracy isn't that great but he can make the plays. IMO, NewCath must be really down if they are not favored in their district. Holy Cross wasn't that impressive on either side of the ball. If Pikeville hadn't turned the ball over so much then this one could have been a much closer game.

Congrats HC!
congrats to holy cross
Pikeville was really unimpressiave tongiht.
Hopefully the new staff at P-Ville will get this fixed in a hurry.
About what I expected. HC is a solid team and I figured their athletes would be too much for Pikeville. Congrats to the Indians on the W.
Listen guys. I kindve expected this. With all the bad fundamental habits that these boys have been taught over the last 5 years by our previous 2 coaches which showed again tonight. Those bad habits arent going to just vanish in a month even with the good coaching staff we have now. Its like Hillard himself told me last week. This will be a good team its just gonna take time. One positve I did take from this game is that after the big 1st quarter HC had. Our boys didnt drop their heads and give up. They kept battling and came really close to making it a game tonight on more than one occasion but couldnt close the deal. Congrats to HC. Its going to take a great team in 2a to beat them IMO. #11 is a STUD!!!
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Hopefully the new staff at P-Ville will get this fixed in a hurry.

I would'nt go so far as to say they are in dire needs of fixing things. Holy Cross is that good. This is a game that HC should have one. I gave Pikeville the homefield advantage only to make the game close. HC is a very good team.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Listen guys. I kindve expected this. With all the bad fundamental habits that these boys have been taught over the last 5 years by our previous 2 coaches which showed again tonight. Those bad habits arent going to just vanish in a month even with the good coaching staff we have now. Its like Hillard himself told me last week. This will be a good team its just gonna take time. One positve I did take from this game is that after the big 1st quarter HC had. Our boys didnt drop their heads and give up. They kept battling and came really close to making it a game tonight on more than one occasion but couldnt close the deal. Congrats to HC. Its going to take a great team in 2a to beat them IMO. #11 is a STUD!!!

:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:
Cut down on the turnovers Panthers and you will be fine. Take it one game at a time and work to improve on both sides of the ball.
Being on the HC sideline last night, it seemed sloppy on both sides of the ball. Turnovers by both teams stopped drives deep in the opposing territory. For example, HC had a reception by "little Koz" (coach's son) to the 2 yard line and the ball came out and went through the end zone for a touchback. Roenker had an INT, but dropped two others. He also had a long pass reception for a TD called back for an illegal block. HC had a goal line stand in the fourth quarter to seal the win. However, the score could have been higher for both teams. Pikeville has the makings of a good passing attack. Great atmosphere for a game! Fun to play in front of a big crowd. Good luck to both teams. It doesn't get any easier for HC - bye week, then Beechwood, Conner, Bishop Ready (Columbus, OH), and NCC.
from what i saw there was very little enthusiasm from the pikeville players. a lot of standing around. very little speed. slow week line on both sides of the ball. weak tackling.the coaching staff can only do so much the players are going to have to step up and play with some heart and fire and quit blaming coaches. take a little pride and do something instead of living on a long gone reputation!!!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Listen guys. I kindve expected this. With all the bad fundamental habits that these boys have been taught over the last 5 years by our previous 2 coaches which showed again tonight. Those bad habits arent going to just vanish in a month even with the good coaching staff we have now. Its like Hillard himself told me last week. This will be a good team its just gonna take time. One positve I did take from this game is that after the big 1st quarter HC had. Our boys didnt drop their heads and give up. They kept battling and came really close to making it a game tonight on more than one occasion but couldnt close the deal. Congrats to HC. Its going to take a great team in 2a to beat them IMO. #11 is a STUD!!!

And you were the one who kept defending these coaches...:HitWall:

I must disagree with you all. I cannot speak on behalf of Coach Copley because I only knew him as a Defensive Coordinator and I didn't care much for that side of the ball. HOWEVER, I can tell you I did play under Jackson when he is head coach. That man does NOT teach fundamental bad habits. If you have them, he will yell at you and make you run till you don't have them anymore. The man was and is a perfectionist. Honestly, he burnt me out on football, BUT he didn't teach bad habits. The man eats, breaths, sleeps football. A statement like that is disrepectful to all the hard work he put in at Pikeville...I'll be the first to admit his system and his style weren't a good fit for a one A Eastern Kentucky school. However, that has nothing to do with the overall fundamentals that he taught.

I stand behind Coach J and I hope he is doing great.

(I step off the soap box)
youknowwhoibe Wrote:I must disagree with you all. I cannot speak on behalf of Coach Copley because I only knew him as a Defensive Coordinator and I didn't care much for that side of the ball. HOWEVER, I can tell you I did play under Jackson when he is head coach. That man does NOT teach fundamental bad habits. If you have them, he will yell at you and make you run till you don't have them anymore. The man was and is a perfectionist. Honestly, he burnt me out on football, BUT he didn't teach bad habits. The man eats, breaths, sleeps football. A statement like that is disrepectful to all the hard work he put in at Pikeville...I'll be the first to admit his system and his style weren't a good fit for a one A Eastern Kentucky school. However, that has nothing to do with the overall fundamentals that he taught.

I agree with a lot of this. I think Coach Jackson was a good coach and genuinely cared about Pikeville. He was always a class act, and never ran he score up on anyone. It just wasn't a good fit. His system is a much better fit at a large school with lots of bodies to work with. His passion was there to me.
Pikeville looked very week against HC. HC pretty much did what they wanted on offence. Pikeville has a long way to go. Will they give Ben that much time? Past tendicies says that they will not. The football program goes all the way back to the middle school program and how it is ran. Pikeville does not have a big feeder program. If anything Pikeville is loosing kids to surrounding schools. Pikeville is not what it used to be. In the past Pikeville always had the best facilities and programs. Now with all the small high schools combining in the county, Pikeville does not have an advantage.
SPORTS FAN 101 Wrote:Pikeville looked very week against HC. HC pretty much did what they wanted on offence. Pikeville has a long way to go. Will they give Ben that much time? Past tendicies says that they will not. The football program goes all the way back to the middle school program and how it is ran. Pikeville does not have a big feeder program. If anything Pikeville is loosing kids to surrounding schools. Pikeville is not what it used to be. In the past Pikeville always had the best facilities and programs. Now with all the small high schools combining in the county, Pikeville does not have an advantage.

This post could not be any more full of BS...Wishful thinking Sports Fan...
Go to the junior high game this week and see what the future looks like for Pikeville. Want to guess how many players the junior high team has out?:thatsfunn Hint: It is a very big number.
you still dont get it. till these kids step up and take some of the blame for lackluster playing then it will never change. it doesnt matter how many kids you have out on a team. if they just stand around and whine about coaching they will never get better. quit spoiling them and make them step it up. if the starters dont do it let the young kids play and put the "stars" on the bench. you end up 5 and 5 or 4and 6 either way and you make a statement that you arent going to settle for just showing up and being on the team. do this no matter who the kid is or who the kid knows. things will improve.
Since Copley has been at Greenup, he has worked fundamentals non stop.
I think Pikeville will be fine playing against 1A teams. I think the schedule for Pikeville This year is crazy! IMO I dont think we shouldve lined up such tough teams! I think if we played Holy Cross 5 weeks from now it would be a different game!
Chuck Taylor Wrote:And you were the one who kept defending these coaches...:HitWall:
I have the right to change my mind on things. If you dont like it dont read my posts.
youknowwhoibe Wrote:I must disagree with you all. I cannot speak on behalf of Coach Copley because I only knew him as a Defensive Coordinator and I didn't care much for that side of the ball. HOWEVER, I can tell you I did play under Jackson when he is head coach. That man does NOT teach fundamental bad habits. If you have them, he will yell at you and make you run till you don't have them anymore. The man was and is a perfectionist. Honestly, he burnt me out on football, BUT he didn't teach bad habits. The man eats, breaths, sleeps football. A statement like that is disrepectful to all the hard work he put in at Pikeville...I'll be the first to admit his system and his style weren't a good fit for a one A Eastern Kentucky school. However, that has nothing to do with the overall fundamentals that he taught.

I eat, sleep, and breathe football myself but that doesnt make me a good football coach. I mean no disrespect to Jackson or Copley either one. I got along great with both of them. But football is a results driven buisness and the results werent there for either of them. Its as simple as that.
SPORTS FAN 101 Wrote:Pikeville looked very week against HC. HC pretty much did what they wanted on offence. Pikeville has a long way to go. Will they give Ben that much time? Past tendicies says that they will not. The football program goes all the way back to the middle school program and how it is ran. Pikeville does not have a big feeder program. If anything Pikeville is loosing kids to surrounding schools. Pikeville is not what it used to be. In the past Pikeville always had the best facilities and programs. Now with all the small high schools combining in the county, Pikeville does not have an advantage.

This is a hogwash post. The junior high program is in fine shape and they are in the hands of a really good football coach who is assisted by no less than 3 or 4 former all-state caliber players. The problems at Pikeville will not be solved this year, but in the next five years Pikeville should contend again at a statewide level, i.e., final fours and state championship appearances.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:...

But football is a results driven buisness and the results werent there for either of them. Its as simple as that.

Show me a coach that teaches good basic fundamentals, encourages his kids to get into good physical condition, and keeps the game fun/exciting for players and I'll show you a good coach.

If you have a coach that brings that to the table, "results" are guaranteed to follow, given enough time.
oneijoe Wrote:Show me a coach that teaches good basic fundamentals, encourages his kids to get into good physical condition, and keeps the game fun/exciting for players and I'll show you a good coach.

If you have a coach that brings that to the table, "results" are guaranteed to follow, given enough time.
I couldnt agree more
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Stayed till halftime and Pikeville was struggling. The defense did alright, but the offense fumbled the ball around 3-4 times just in the first half alone. Pikeville QB, Branham did look pretty good. Just didn't have much time to pass nor had many open receivers. But Pikeville must have got some things going on offense after I left scoring 14 points.

Holy Cross's Markel Walker is one heck of a football player. Fast, throws a tight spiral, accuracy isn't that great but he can make the plays. IMO, NewCath must be really down if they are not favored in their district. Holy Cross wasn't that impressive on either side of the ball. If Pikeville hadn't turned the ball over so much then this one could have been a much closer game.

Congrats HC!

I agree. He looked like a very good athlete.