Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went and saw it Saturday night at the IMAX in Louisville. I think it's the best adaptation of the book so far, and the most stunning visually.

Who's seen it? And what did you think?
taking my daughter wed to see it.
i saw it friday night (at pikeville)
i thought it was really good

ce i bet it looked awesome at an imax
I'm not going to watch it.. never have watched any of them
I just got back from watching it with the kids just a couple of hours ago. I liked it. It is a little darker than the rest, but so was the book. It left out a couple of key points, but I guess it hit the biggest part of the book.
It was pretty good...The Book was a lot better though imo
Isn't the books always better than the movies? I haven't seen it and I probably won't considering I have only seen the first one and never read any of the books.
I've never been a fan of Harry Potter....
I'm not a big fan either.
I like the movies, because I love the books. Now that I've read all 6, I realize that J.K. Rowling is seriously deep in her writing. There is actually a campaign to get the books moved off the Children's shelves at bookstores also because to kids they're fun, but older people who read them see the real meaning behind them.
never read or watched..dont plan on it..our 4 yr old says he wants to watch them now but I dont know...
Why not BGG?
I thought the movie was really good. My daughter has got me hooked on the movie.
That was 2 hours of my life that I lost and will never get back.
more like 4
but i really did like it

whats this deeper meaning you're all talkin about?
sorry im not the best at interpreting literature
but i figured it was all fictional and kind of like what you read, thats the whole story
It's hard to explain, there's just amazing things that are now coming to light from book 1 and an underlying religious theme.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Why not BGG?

I think the Harry Potter books started when I was in college so I didnt grow up reading harry potter like some of you. When the movies came out the previews looked like lord of the rings and the neverending story ( a movie from when I was a child). I just knew this was something I wasnt interested in. There was a harry potter marathon on our cable for the last week..about 9 hours or more hours worth and I could not bring myself to sit down and watch 5 minutes of it to even see if I might possibly be interested in it. It's all about kids and wizards and honestly thats just not what I am interested in. Gage has mentioned he'd like to watch them. I assume someone older than him was talking about Harry Potter otherwise he'd have no clue what is was. Anyway, I turned it on the marathon for him and he wasnt too interested. I guess it isnt for 4 year olds either. It seems like its for the age ranges of 8-14.
For the shear magic and kidd stuff it is, but I know 70 year old men who read them because the stories are so amazing. Those who have read them all will understand.
ComfortEagle Wrote:For the shear magic and kidd stuff it is, but I know 70 year old men who read them because the stories are so amazing. Those who have read them all will understand.

Then fill me in..what's it really about in your opinion...
There is an underlyring them on the power of love throughout all the books, we learn throughout the series that love is some that can conquer anything. You really have to read the books to pick up on these themes, because the movie just puts out there, the magic and action, the books elaborate on so much more.

Since you don't know the story, Harry's mother dies trying to save him, he is then, as we find out in later books, given some sort of power that no one can explain. It is the power of love that he is given than makes him more powerful than the 'bad guys.'

Harry Potter is not satanism or cultism. Harry Potter is a tale of a boy through which we can live the trials, tribulations and hardships of being adolescent. As a reader, we grow with Harry and his friends, feel the emotions so well depicted and want for the good to win - always! I cannot think of a better vehicle in our times for teaching morals and values. Friendship. Loyalty. Honesty. Compassion. Imagination. All the things our 'real world' lacks. Exactly the kind of thing that we all need to read about and take to heart.

Mainly, while kids love the wands and spells, the true magic in the book has nothing to do with these things, but rather, friendship and bravery.
Here is an article that was published in the New Haven Register:

"These volumes, like so many other books of fantasy, stimulate us to look beyond life as we know it. They remind us that the things we perceive with our senses are not all there is. We should approach the mystery of the universe with awe and reverence, accepting the likelihood of a higher existence beyond what is familiar to us. To the person of faith, that existence is linked to God and spirituality.

Finally, the Harry Potter series extols many of the values and virtues held dear by western religion: the belief in the triumph of good over evil, the values of loyalty, honesty, self-sacrifice, moral courage and the willingness to stand up for what is right, the defense of the weak and downtrodden.

As a fictional character, Harry Potter can serve as a positive example to young readers. As a rule, they are not going to try out Harry’s magical exploits at home, but they might be inspired by his bravery, strength, truthfulness and intense loyalty to his friends. I can think of many more harmful role models for children, just as I can imagine many books far more detrimental than the Harry Potter series. They should be read not only for fun and pleasure but for the positive spiritual lessons they teach."
i think they are great books for adults and children alike. My whole family loves them, well except for my dad (he doesnt read much, he thinks he is too "macho"). They stimulate the imagination. Building imagination in a child is a great gift to give. 4 yrs old is definetly too young to read the books but i didnt see anyting wrong with the movies. the 4th one was a little violent but the first two are perfect for that age.

Adults who read too much into the books seriously need to get a grip. they are fictional books not reality. nothing makes me more mad than when parents ruin things for their kids. the children cant even begin to think on their parents level. Parents think that if their kinds read theses books or see these movies, the will become devil worshipers or "witches".

I personally like the books better because they leave too many details out of the movies. i guess i am too critical of them because i love the books soooo much.