Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Opinion on Running-up the Score?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We had a few teams accused of running-up the score this past weekend and I just wanted to hear everyones opinion on running-up the score without mentioning teams names so that this thread doesn't get off-topic?
I don't think its right for teams to run up the score. If your ahead with just a few minutes or less to go in the game, just kneel the ball.
I don't like it at all. It's unsportsmanlike and when its done it always at some point comes back around, whether that be a year or five years down the road.
What is considered running up the score as far as a definition? Is it a matter of keeping starters in, play-calling, or score itself? Will a couple of scores given up make it a 1-2 score game?
I think there are many things that go through a coaches mind and on very few occasions are they trying to embarrass the other team. Maybe they see the chance to practice for the next week and use the plays they plan to run against the team being blown away.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:What is considered running up the score as far as a definition?

Keeping your starting offense in late in a game that's out of control and/or throwing the ball with a big lead late in a game.

IMO, if you have the JV in and the opposing defense cannot stop them then that isn't running-up the score.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Keeping your starting offense in late in a game that's out of control and/or throwing the ball with a big lead late in a game.
If the opponent has shown the ability to score quickly and a couple of scores would "make it a game, " then I say keep the starters in. If the same situation happens and the starters need practice for a difficult opponent next week, I say keep them in. The only reason I would take my starters out is if there was nothing to gain by leaving them in as far as getting better. It is up to the coach of the team to prepare his/her team for the playoffs and any extra time they can get in is a plus. Also, if a coach sees several games in a down that the starters may get pulled later in the season, he\she may get them more reps early against solid competition and let the bench players play a majority of the games against the weaker teams.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Keeping your starting offense in late in a game that's out of control and/or throwing the ball with a big lead late in a game.

IMO, if you have the JV in and the opposing defense cannot stop them then that isn't running-up the score.
Then that opens up the question "What is out of control?" Not being smart here, just trying to help the topic.
I have to disagree to some extent. If a team is a wishbone team and they have scored 4 long touchdowns running power and they keep running power, how is that different than a team throwing the ball when that is their primary offense?? If the score is out of a hand, a running clock will still run.

By BIG point is this, both teams agree to play each other...it's the defense's job to stop the offense, not the offense's job to stop themselves. Too often in society we worry about FEELINGS. Kids need to learn how to cope with failure (no matter the margin-they are 13-19 year olds, not 6 year olds), that is what builds perserverence and intestinal fortitude later in life.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:If the opponent has shown the ability to score quickly and a couple of scores would "make it a game, " then I say keep the starters in. If the same situation happens and the starters need practice for a difficult opponent next week, I say keep them in. The only reason I would take my starters out is if there was nothing to gain by leaving them in as far as getting better. It is up to the coach of the team to prepare his/her team for the playoffs and any extra time they can get in is a plus. Also, if a coach sees several games in a down that the starters may get pulled later in the season, he\she may get them more reps early against solid competition and let the bench players play a majority of the games against the weaker teams.

You make some good points. But if your offense cannot be stopped and your just trying to give your first string some more reps then what are they learning after easily scoring on an opponents defense?
Pot calling the kettle black.
To me, running up the score versus playing starters or making a mockery of the game are two completely different subjects. If a team is up big, then they have no business playing their starters or continuing in an aggressive passing game. I would never ever accept a team "laying down". I as either the coach of the winning team or the losing team would expect to just take a knee over and over. That is embarassing the game.

As far as scoring goes, there are instances where a teams 2's or even 3's can still score on some teams 1's. If that's the case, then that's just part of the game and shame on the losing team. But never ever tell kids to shut it down. That is not acceptable, nor is it life.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You make some good points. But if your offense cannot be stopped and your just trying to give your first string some more reps then what are they learning after easily scoring on an opponents defense?
Play-calling as far as who runs the ball and practice for a QB that looked "rusty" at best is what you gain. If a majority of the scores where on long runs and on special teams by one player, other players that are obviously flat need the work. You have to look at the score also. Is there a running clock? If I take my starters out and the other team scores a couple times, will they prepared to return with the same intensity because the other team will have the momentum and a lot of adrenalin, and that can be dangerous.
Coach E Wrote:I have to disagree to some extent. If a team is a wishbone team and they have scored 4 long touchdowns running power and they keep running power, how is that different than a team throwing the ball when that is their primary offense?? If the score is out of a hand, a running clock will still run.

By BIG point is this, both teams agree to play each other...it's the defense's job to stop the offense, not the offense's job to stop themselves. Too often in society we worry about FEELINGS. Kids need to learn how to cope with failure (no matter the margin-they are 13-19 year olds, not 6 year olds), that is what builds perserverence and intestinal fortitude later in life.

Pretty good post Coach E :Thumbs:
When it is still good on good, meaning varsity vs varsity then I think it is all fair game. You don't want to cost your team for the coach being a nice guy and stop playing to win once you get up 3-4 TDs, they work to hard to let the coach lose it or put them in the situation to make it a close game. Granted there is a thin line, but I think some of the accused have been wrongly done.
Coach E Wrote:I have to disagree to some extent. If a team is a wishbone team and they have scored 4 long touchdowns running power and they keep running power, how is that different than a team throwing the ball when that is their primary offense?? If the score is out of a hand, a running clock will still run.

Good post!

What about risking injury late in a game where the opponent doesn't have a chance at coming back?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Good post!

What about risking injury late in a game where the opponent doesn't have a chance at coming back?
At what point is that? Do you wait till there is a running clock? If a coach sees that a QB is off as far as timing with his receivers and other RB's need reps, he would irresponsible not to let them get the extra reps against the other team's 1's, especially if the other team is average or above.
I also believe when the winning team starts substituting the losing team needs to sub also. I wouldn't want my young players to get injured against older players because the losing coach is trying to make the score more respectable. I think in a blowout both coaches need to use common sense.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:At what point is that? Do you wait till there is a running clock? If a coach sees that a QB is off as far as timing with his receivers and other RB's need reps, he would irresponsible not to let them get the extra reps against the other team's 1's, especially if the other team is average or above.

Although again, you make a valid point, I just wouldn't leave my starters in, even if they needed extra reps especially if they where playing a non-district opponent the next week. These all-for-pride games don't mean nearly as much as a district game does. I want to make sure that I didn't make the mistake of leaving in my starting offense/defense against a non-district opponent and have a player(s) get injured risking my teams chances at a state championship.
just a question but arent there tiebreakers decided on pts scored in ky i know thats a long way down the list if there even is just a question
The losing team's coach knows when his team isn't competitive. I've never understood why this needs to be so complicated. Coaches could develop a standing gentleman's agreement such as:

The team behind pulls its starters during a called timeout. That prompts the winning team to call time also and pull ITS starters. Short of that, it's simply an issue of when the winning coach decides to give his substitutes work.
I agree with stardust, post 12. (I still haven't got the hang of adding quotes). If a teams 2nd 3rd string are still scoring, that isn't running up the score, if starter are left in, then that hurts both teams. The losing team, and the players on the winning team who got no real game experience as a result
I've always liked the way Phillip Haywood handles games that his team is winning comfortably. He plays his starters all the way until the 4th quarter and takes them out. That's they way he's been as long as I can remember. That's why he is one of the most respected coaches in the state.

I agree with you, but want to clarify, do you feel it is ok if the JV is throwing the ball?

Personnally, I feel that if your JV is in and it is running , throwing, or whatever against the opposing teams ones, that is not running up the score. If the losing teams puts in thier 2's and the winning team is still scoring then maybe they should do more to run out the clock.
Question for the coaches online---Who should start subbing thier 2nd and 3rds first. The trailing team or the leading team?

I've always felt the first move was on the leading coaches shoulders but I have heard some coaches say they don't pull their starters until their opponent does.

:Thumbs:
oneijoe Wrote:The losing team's coach knows when his team isn't competitive. I've never understood why this needs to be so complicated. Coaches could develop a standing gentleman's agreement such as:

The team behind pulls its starters during a called timeout. That prompts the winning team to call time also and pull ITS starters. Short of that, it's simply an issue of when the winning coach decides to give his substitutes work.
Makes a lot of sense............
tradition Wrote:I agree with you, but want to clarify, do you feel it is ok if the JV is throwing the ball?

Personnally, I feel that if your JV is in and it is running , throwing, or whatever against the opposing teams ones, that is not running up the score. If the losing teams puts in thier 2's and the winning team is still scoring then maybe they should do more to run out the clock.

Yes, that's the way I see it as well.
hawg laig Wrote:Question for the coaches online---Who should start subbing thier 2nd and 3rds first. The trailing team or the leading team?

I've always felt the first move was on the leading coaches shoulders but I have heard some coaches say they don't pull their starters until their opponent does.

Not a coach, but it wouldn't make sense for the losing team to take out thier 1's first. You try to win the game till the final second. I don't agree with coaches that leave their 1's in against a winning teams 2's.
I feel that allowing the JV to pass is fine, if that is a part of the teams overall offensive scheme, and it is not running up the score. If a team starts running "junk" or trick plays with the JV's then that is classless.
Pages: 1 2 3