Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Walton Verona 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bearcats set sights on playoffs
By James Weber • [email]jweber@nky.com[/email] • August 18, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type Size: A A

The Walton-Verona High School football team won an impressive four games in its first varsity season in 2008.

The Bearcats weren't satisfied, though, knowing their last three losses were by a combined 10 points. So their goal this season is to get even more wins.

Those will be more meaningful wins, too, as the Bearcats are eligible for the KHSAA playoffs in Class 1A this season. W-V will be in the Northern Kentucky district with defending state champ Beechwood as well as Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow and Bishop Brossart.

"It's going to be fun this year," senior receiver/defensive back Ryan Hardman said. "Now we have a chance to be in the playoffs and have something to fight for. It's exciting. We had some close games last year that we lost, but all around we did good. I think we've improved a lot since last year."

Leading the playoff charge as new head coach is Jeff Barth, who comes in after coaching for two years as an assistant at Woodland Middle School in Taylor Mill. He replaces Woody McMillen, who founded the program but resigned to take care of his ailing father.

Barth, a 1995 Highlands graduate, played football there and was later an assistant coach at South Oldham High School for six years.

"I'm excited," he said. "They want to learn. They're upbeat, they work hard and they listen. Our expectation is to make the playoffs and to host a playoff game. We have some work to do to get there. Not too many first-year programs win four games, so we think that's a good start."

Barth said he returns about 12 players with significant varsity experience from last year. He said the Bearcats are strongest in the skill positions - like Hardman, a safety and receiver who is a playcaller on the defense.

"Some places you get seniors who look down on the underclassmen," Barth said. "This guy is looking to bring them along."

Hardman said football is his favorite sport.

"I love being out here. It's hard sometimes but it's fun," he said.

Adam Burt, a senior tight end/defensive end, is a strong leader for the team.

"One of those guys you wish you had 40 of them," Barth said. "He hustles, motor never stops, good leader, strong in the classroom."

According to Burt, "Football is about working as hard as you possibly can and pushing it every time. If you make a mistake, you make it 100 percent."

Cory Taylor is a senior linebacker/running back whom Barth said is a hard-nosed player

"He'll make guys miss in the open field, but he's not afraid to look for a guy to run over, either," Barth said.

"We've got a stronger team than we've had in the beginning," Taylor said. I'm excited, confident in my teammates. We can win a lot of games. I think we'll make it to the playoffs."

Luis Rodriguez, a senior cornerback/receiver/kicker, is a strong-legged kicker and also one of the fastest players on the team.

Nolan Daugherty, a sophomore, is the starter at quarterback. Former QB Cam Reynolds, a senior, moves to receiver.

Junior fullback/linebacker Andrew Baumgartner returns. The Bearcats have several returning linemen including juniors Jeff Allen, Ian Bowling and Austin Ryan.

The Bearcats love their second-year stadium in Verona and love the opportunity to play the game as the school has seen the program grow the past few years.

"It means everything in my life, playing football," Taylor said. "I've always wanted to play since I was young. Being a part of it this year is pretty amazing."