Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Beechwood v Highlands back to Beechwood?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That's what I'm hearing. Can anyone confirm?
Do they have enough seating at Beechwood?
Still Friday night or back to Thursday?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Do they have enough seating at Beechwood?

Never have in the past, but I hear big changes are coming. I've said for years that the stadium is in no way befitting of a program like they've got. Parking problems I can see because they're pretty well landlocked, but those softball grandstands have to go.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Never have in the past, but I hear big changes are coming. I've said for years that the stadium is in no way befitting of a program like they've got. Parking problems I can see because they're pretty well landlocked, but those softball grandstands have to go.

I agree. I have a couple friends from college who either played football at Beechwood or their brothers played football there and when I went to their stadium for the first time it sort of shocked me it wasn't bigger. Don't get me wrong, nice atmosphere and nice turf field, but the seating, parking, and crowd control is not condusive for one of the state's most dominant programs.

One would have to think with the large fanbases both teams will bring that they would need at least seating for 5000 people, and that is a minimum.
That is terrible for a school with their tradition.
BLUECAT89 Wrote:That is terrible for a school with their tradition.

The school is in a beautiful, very affluent neighborhood, and is beautiful. The problem is they are landlocked. The field is top of the line. The problem is there is no parking and the local police are very quick to ticket cars on game day. You would think the police would be a little lenient on game day. I know of several people who will not attend games there because of the way police act and lack of parking.
sstack Wrote:The school is in a beautiful, very affluent neighborhood, and is beautiful. The problem is they are landlocked. The field is top of the line. The problem is there is no parking and the local police are very quick to ticket cars on game day. You would think the police would be a little lenient on game day. I know of several people who will not attend games there because of the way police act and lack of parking.

Kroger's is packed on game day........:biggrin:

Nobody answered the question, is this indeed @ Beechwood? What happened?
I heard that the price turned out to be more than bargained for at Nippert.
Game is at Beechwood now. Rash wanted it to be at Beechwood all along, but was afraid he wouldn't be able to accomodate all of the people who wanted to come, as this is obviously going to draw a pretty big crowd.

Top that off with UC costing a bit more than they'd hoped and the parking situation working itself out and the game is back at Bwood.
Lot of talk above about Beechwood setting not appropriate to the Football program, so is the setting for their opponent Bluebirds. Talk about a program that has an incredible atmosphere for a Friday night, but if you were an outsider and never been to Ft. Thomas, you would be shocked to see the football field for one of the most successful football programs in High School.

Don't get me wrong, it's incredible. But for a team that has the pedigree that the Birds have, you would literally expect a stadium. The have the best surface around, but the field literally runs along the back wall of the school. Seating is nothing special, and one would think that the Birds could have bleachers for three times the capacity of the bleachers. You actually walk on the sidelines of the field to get into the bleachers it's that close.

But show up for a Friday night game and the place is packed with diehard Bluebirds. Again, some people may be amazed at the first impression thinking that this is not what you would think HHS would have as their Football stadium, but go to a few games there and you will be sold that it is one of those true jewels to witness HS football.
Beechwood-Highlands football game back to Beechwood ...
Posted by RyanErnst at 8/17/2009 11:04 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Sept. 4 football game between Highlands and Beechwood, which organizers had decided to move to UC's Nippert Stadium due to parking concerns, will be played at Beechwood as originally planned.

"We’re going to move it back here," Beechwood athletic director Ben Zimmerman said. "Our parking situation got worked out, where we feel like we have the same number of spots we had last year. We were working with UC on it. And we just felt like in the fans’ best interest it would be better to play at Beechwood."

Beechwood is in the process of building a new elementary school.

The game was moved to Nippert earlier this month. Beechwood coach Noel Rash said last week he'd rather play Highlands on the Tigers' home field if the parking situation could be worked out.

"That played into it a little bit too," Zimmerman said..

Highlands and Beechwood are second and fifth, respectively, in Kentucky history with 18 and 11 state titles. The two programs haven't played each other since 2002. Highlands leads the all-time series 4-0. This season's meeting is the first in a two-year contract.
drizzy Wrote:Game is at Beechwood now. Rash wanted it to be at Beechwood all along, but was afraid he wouldn't be able to accomodate all of the people who wanted to come, as this is obviously going to draw a pretty big crowd.

Top that off with UC costing a bit more than they'd hoped and the parking situation working itself out and the game is back at Bwood.

That was the other consideration. PARKING. I knew I was forgetting something.:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:Lot of talk above about Beechwood setting not appropriate to the Football program, so is the setting for their opponent Bluebirds. Talk about a program that has an incredible atmosphere for a Friday night, but if you were an outsider and never been to Ft. Thomas, you would be shocked to see the football field for one of the most successful football programs in High School.

Don't get me wrong, it's incredible. But for a team that has the pedigree that the Birds have, you would literally expect a stadium. The have the best surface around, but the field literally runs along the back wall of the school. Seating is nothing special, and one would think that the Birds could have bleachers for three times the capacity of the bleachers. You actually walk on the sidelines of the field to get into the bleachers it's that close.

But show up for a Friday night game and the place is packed with diehard Bluebirds. Again, some people may be amazed at the first impression thinking that this is not what you would think HHS would have as their Football stadium, but go to a few games there and you will be sold that it is one of those true jewels to witness HS football.

How about the tacky ads on the back of the school, it really makes the school look bad ( not worth the money they get for the ads). I do like all the fans sitting on the same sidelines. I usually sit on the 45-50 YD line and really enjoy talking to the fans from the away teams. I also love the way you sit right on top of the field (you do not have 8 track lanes seperating the stands and the field), you can even hear what the opposing coaches are saying on the sidelines sometimes.
sstack Wrote:How about the tacky ads on the back of the school, it really makes the school look bad ( not worth the money they get for the ads). I do like all the fans sitting on the same sidelines. I usually sit on the 45-50 YD line and really enjoy talking to the fans from the away teams. I also love the way you sit right on top of the field (you do not have 8 track lanes seperating the stands and the field), you can even hear what the opposing coaches are saying on the sidelines sometimes.

I could also do without the JUMBO TRON. Talk about useless.
I love Highlands stadium, but not if I'm the opposing team. That's rough.:Cheerlead
tradition Wrote:I love Highlands stadium, but not if I'm the opposing team. That's rough.:Cheerlead

Indeed!
I really don't think you can lump Highlands and Beechwood together when comparing their stadiums. I think this could be a cool thread all of it's own actually.

By no means would I consider Highlands one of the best stadiums in Kentucky, but it certainly is one of the best gameday settings. Beechwood, to me, is very cookie cutter. It looks and feels like a small school stadium that you could find throughout the state of Kentucky. Highlands, on the other hand, is very unique. Between the cannon (which is now silent sadly), the odd shaped blue bleachers, the feeling of being stuck in a back alley to watch football, and the jumbotron, it is unlike any stadium in KY.

Does Highlands deserve better facilities? Absolutely. Would Highlands give up what they have already in place for an open stadium that seats 6000 people? Maybe not.

I think I will start a new thread so we can focus more on the Beechwood/Highlands game here.