Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Stallworth suspended for 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has been suspended without pay for the 2009 season for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy and its substance abuse policy, the league said Thursday.

Stallworth, 28, who pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter in Florida in connection with a March 14 crash in which he struck and killed construction worker Mario Reyes, will be reinstated after the Super Bowl in February 2010, the league said.

In a letter to Stallworth made public Thursday, commissioner Roger Goodel said, "I believe that further consequences are necessary" in addition to the punishment handed down by the legal system.

"There is no question that your actions had tragic consequences to an innocent man and his family, and that you have violated both the Substances of Abuse and Personal Conduct Policies," Goodell said. "In that respect, you are clearly guilty of conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL."

I agree 100% with his decision to suspend Stallworth for the entire season!!!,
Should be LIFETIME!
I don't think he should be allowed back into the NFL personally. I mean he was driving drunk, hit a person, and killed them!!! He should be in jail! I mean Michael Vick fought some stupid dogs (that probably couldnt be pets in the first place because they were so mean) and gets worse punishment as far as the legal system goes, and just about as bad of punishment from the NFL. And also loses 2 years of his career in football. This is garbage!
What I wanna know is how someone gets kicked outof the NFL and put in jail for 18 months for dog fighting but a guy that KILLS someone while drunk driving gets no jail time and a year suspension from the NFL...how the **** does that happen?
vundy33 Wrote:What I wanna know is how someone gets kicked outof the NFL and put in jail for 18 months for dog fighting but a guy that KILLS someone while drunk driving gets no jail time and a year suspension from the NFL...how the **** does that happen?

Took the words right out of my mouth.
vundy33 Wrote:What I wanna know is how someone gets kicked outof the NFL and put in jail for 18 months for dog fighting but a guy that KILLS someone while drunk driving gets no jail time and a year suspension from the NFL...how the **** does that happen?

:worthy:

I think a lot of things came into play here. One was the Stallworth passed a sobriety test, but had an illegal BAL, witnesses said he was slowing down, he flashed his lights, honked his horn, obviously well aware of the situation, and didn't flee the seen, stayed right by the mans side.

I'm not saying I agree with what he was sentenced to, as I think Vick got a lot more harsh sentence for a lot less severe crime, but that's our judicial system.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I think a lot of things came into play here. One was the Stallworth passed a sobriety test, but had an illegal BAL, witnesses said he was slowing down, he flashed his lights, honked his horn, obviously well aware of the situation, and didn't flee the seen, stayed right by the mans side.

I'm not saying I agree with what he was sentenced to, as I think Vick got a lot more harsh sentence for a lot less severe crime, but that's our judicial system.

I can somewhat understand this reasoning. Stallworth did appear to try and be man about what he did. Vick flat out was intent on killing and did all that he could to lie about it. Though Stallworth would not be welcome to my house, he did show immediate contrition, where Vick was confident that his name would get him out of trouble, thus he lied and denied the entire time. For me, kick them both out. I'm sick of seeing the Vick's, Stallworth's, Chris Henry's in professional sports.

Could any of us get away with any of these things and wind up doing anything more than washing dishes for the rest of our lives. We would not be offered a salary commisurate of what we used to make if we were convicted felons.
The victims family had a lot to do with Stallworth's sentencing, if I am not wrong.
I know that they had a very quick financial settlement and that may have played into his verdit and punishment as well. Vick's situation is mind boggling too.
It is just a sad state of affairs when two grown men make horrible decisions impacting so many others lives and throw away God given abilities that most of us would just about do anything to have for ourselves.
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:The victims family had a lot to do with Stallworth's sentencing, if I am not wrong.
I know that they had a very quick financial settlement and that may have played into his verdit and punishment as well. Vick's situation is mind boggling too.
It is just a sad state of affairs when two grown men make horrible decisions impacting so many others lives and throw away God given abilities that most of us would just about do anything to have for ourselves.

:Thumbs:
VoR_58 Wrote:I don't think he should be allowed back into the NFL personally. I mean he was driving drunk, hit a person, and killed them!!! He should be in jail! I mean Michael Vick fought some stupid dogs (that probably couldnt be pets in the first place because they were so mean) and gets worse punishment as far as the legal system goes, and just about as bad of punishment from the NFL. And also loses 2 years of his career in football. This is garbage!

I agree and disagree. You shouldn't legitimize what Michael Vick did because you feel like a certain breed of dog is "stupid". Most stupid dogs have stupid owners. I agree that Stallworth's crime is much worse and he should have gotten harsher punishment. In Kentucky the average sentence for manslaughter for DUI is 10 years with the person being paroled in around 3 to 4 years unless there was other crimes involved or the individual has a past criminal history. The bottom line is in most situations, the more money you have, the less time you do.
^ Great post and dead on.