Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset's Jay Cobb Signs Letter of Resignation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Somerset football coach, Jay Cobb has signed his letter of resignation at Somerset.

According to several sources, Athletic Director Bob Tucker has that resignation letter that will be delivered to Somerset Independent School Superintendent Dr. Teresa Wallace on Tuesday for further review. A decision will then be made on the future of the program.

This is not the first time Coach Cobb has resigned his position. Two years ago, he did just that to take the Henderson County head coaching job, only to change his mind less than a week later and return to the Jumper program.

If it is the end, it wraps up over a decade long run for Cobb at Somerset. In 11 seasons he compiled a 82-48 record, leading the Purple & Gold to four regional titles with a string of three consecutive semi-state appearances in 2005, 2006, and 2007.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtsports/headlines/52979752.html
I am kinda shocked that he would wait this close to game time! That isn't right for the team..
Hilbily Wrote:I am kinda shocked that he would wait this close to game time! That isn't right for the team..

Absolutely, I wodn't dare take this guy back or be the next team to hire him
On the other site, a member said that it has nothing to do with Cobb taking another job.
It's messed up here in Somerset. It has NOTHING to do with Cobb taking another job. It has to do with the administration. He DID NOT leave to take another job or just because he wanted to. He was forced out by the administration and had no choice but to resign. I know a **** of a lot other stuff that happened and it was not Coach Cobb's fault. He left for the betterment of the team and players because of Somerset's administration. This is not on Cobb.

He was like a father to me the last 4 years when I played. And let me tell you, I've been going down there and helping them all I can with the young guys at practice, they will NOT find a better guy, more loyal person, or a better coach other than Coach Cobb.

It's a pathetic situation down here and it is not on Coach Cobb. He was FORCED. And thats all I'm saying about that and am not going into further detail...
Meaty Wrote:It's messed up here in Somerset. It has NOTHING to do with Cobb taking another job. It has to do with the administration. He DID NOT leave to take another job or just because he wanted to. He was forced out by the administration and had no choice but to resign. I know a **** of a lot other stuff that happened and it was not Coach Cobb's fault. He left for the betterment of the team and players because of Somerset's administration. This is not on Cobb.

He was like a father to me the last 4 years when I played. And let me tell you, I've been going down there and helping them all I can with the young guys at practice, they will NOT find a better guy, more loyal person, or a better coach other than Coach Cobb.

It's a pathetic situation down here and it is not on Coach Cobb. He was FORCED. And thats all I'm saying about that and am not going into further detail...

Glad you could come and clear some things up!
The rest of the staff has taken over for this year. I hope to everything they stay for years to come because this is a good staff. Robbie Lucas is a great coach and is a good head man. Tony Dixon(yes UK's running back from last season) is signed on and is coaching the DB's and RB's. They should have a fine season but it will be tough without Cobb because he was like a father to everyone and is one of the best football minds in the state that I have seen.
That is good to hear. Those kids deserve so much better. I hate it when politics get in the way of kids playing football.
I hate to hear this. Cobb is a heck of a coach. Whatever program he winds up with next year will be the better for it.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I hate to hear this. Cobb is a heck of a coach. Whatever program he winds up with next year will be the better for it.
Could he be heading back to Knott Central? I Know that Coach Beder had resigned then backed out last season I think.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I hate to hear this. Cobb is a heck of a coach. Whatever program he winds up with next year will be the better for it.

If it's true that he has bailed at this time of year twice on kids, I hope he never gets a job again. I could never support a guy that would do this to the athletes. I see that another poster stated the administration forced him out, but there has to be some other circumstance that will come out.
Stardust Wrote:If it's true that he has bailed at this time of year twice on kids, I hope he never gets a job again. I could never support a guy that would do this to the athletes. I see that another poster stated the administration forced him out, but there has to be some other circumstance that will come out.

Do you know Jay Cobb? If you did you would know he would not walk out on his team! Jay is a class act! Period!You need to stay in your Stardust fantasy!
killerb Wrote:Do you know Jay Cobb? If you did you would know he would not walk out on his team! Jay is a class act! Period!You need to stay in your Stardust fantasy!

Oooooh, I have been dissed :yikes: OMG

So this guy has left a team twice? Sounds like a real swell gentleman, always nice to bail on a group of teenagers counting on HIM.....
Stardust Wrote:If it's true that he has bailed at this time of year twice on kids, I hope he never gets a job again. I could never support a guy that would do this to the athletes. I see that another poster stated the administration forced him out, but there has to be some other circumstance that will come out.

Coach Cobb did not bail on the team. The administration forced him to resign, yes this late as well. Cobb DID NOT bail on the team. I know for 100% fact. I'm not going into details on here as to what all happened, but it is not on Cobb.

He is a class act, one of the greatest guys I've ever met, and one **** of a football coach.
Why would the school make a change at this time?
Stardust Wrote:Why would the school make a change at this time?

Who knows other than the administration that forced him to resign.

Everybody can say what they want to about Coach Cobb, but this is not on him. He did not bail on the team, and he had no other choice for the betterment of the team and program with Somerset's crooked administration.

He was like a father to all of his current and former players and would bend over backwards for each and everyone of them. He is one of the greatest guys I've ever known and SHS's administration should be hung for this, each and everyone of them.
WOW. Somerset has done what I thought was impossible; They have made the great Shelby Valley Coach Search/Pike County Board of Education mess from earlier this summer look good.
I hate it for all parties involved, but especially the seniors on the Somerset football team.
hawg laig Wrote:WOW. Somerset has done what I thought was impossible; They have made the great Shelby Valley Coach Search/Pike County Board of Education mess from earlier this summer look good.
I hate it for all parties involved, but especially the seniors on the Somerset football team.

So what are the Somerset families going to do about it. Who does the administration work for ----- YOU! You should be demanding answers, you should be demanding accountability, you should be demanding responsibility. But I know, somebody out there is going to say it won't matter. And that's when it's chicken crap. It means those folks don't want to get involved but they will complain about it from afar. Thay work for you folks! It will MATTER when you let them know it does!
Hate to hear this good luck to Coach Cobb and Somerset this season. Politics are tough especially on the kids.
I hate to hear what has happened to Jay Cobb. He might be the classiest coach I have met. COBB DID NOT QUIT ON HIS TEAM! Those who think otherwise don't know the facts.
Must i say i agree with him being a class act,great football mind and is great with young men he coached ,surely he will be picked up by someone and will be coaching soon...we need more Coaches like him in our high schools very personal kinda coach and is alway wanting to take his teams to next level...Good Job Coach Cobb ,hopefully he will appear soon with another team...
Good Luck to coach. As a coach its like I tell the kids if you wake up one day and you can not find the fun in this sport anymore its time to hang it up for a while. Not everything is fun, but if you cant just enjoy the game somewhat its time to move on.