Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Will Russell Renew Contract with Raceland?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope so. In all seriousness guys I know that more times than not Russell will beat Raceland but I hope they keep playing each other. It's good for both schools. It gives both towns something to look forward to, and something totalk about and, no FBALL we aren't going to play it at Russell every year.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I hope so. In all seriousness guys I know that more times than not Russell will beat Raceland but I hope they keep playing each other. It's good for both schools. It gives both towns something to look forward to, and something totalk about and, no FBALL we aren't going to play it at Russell every year.

I would much rather see Russell play Johnson Central, Portmouth, or even some 5-A teams in the Lexington area.

I think the Russell/Raceland game helps Raceland more that it does Russell.
Jeepman Wrote:I would much rather see Russell play Johnson Central, Portmouth, or even some 5-A teams in the Lexington area.

Are these local teams, meaning cloesly located to each other?
Stardust Wrote:Are these local teams, meaning cloesly located to each other?

Yep not more than a couple of miles apart.
If they are going to keep playing they should play it at Russell and split the gate.

If they do renew a home and home series I expect you to at least save me that spot on the track where I can at least see most of the game. That and making fun of the PA guy might make of worth it.
They should. As much as we Russell fans might not like it, Raceland looks like they are on the road to becoming a consistently competitive football program that is able to play with the larger schools in our area on a yearly basis.

I think Ashland, Boyd County, Greenup County, Russell, and Raceland should play each other every year because of the good atmospheres it creates on Friday nights.

Come on, FBALL, you have to admit a game against Raceland is going to bring out a lot more fans than some game against Portsmouth or a 5-A school in central Kentucky. How many Russell fans traveled to Simon Kenton last year? I think everyone likes having something to look forward to on those Friday nights in the fall and the local rivalries are the best games.
ryanparker Wrote:They should. As much as we Russell fans might not like it, Raceland looks like they are on the road to becoming a consistently competitive football program that is able to play with the larger schools in our area on a yearly basis.

I think Ashland, Boyd County, Greenup County, Russell, and Raceland should play each other every year because of the good atmospheres it creates on Friday nights.

Come on, FBALL, you have to admit a game against Raceland is going to bring out a lot more fans than some game against Portsmouth or a 5-A school in central Kentucky. How many Russell fans traveled to Simon Kenton last year? I think everyone likes having something to look forward to on those Friday nights in the fall and the local rivalries are the best games.

I didn't say they couldn't be competitive. I just don't want to have to watch it in the cracker box stadium with endzones that have no corners and not nearly enough seating or parking.
Well they renewed it this past year. The original contract was for two years, a home and home for each team. So technically this question doesn't need to be asked until this contract is up at the end of 2010 season, but I do agree it's a money maker. True rivalry one where I think is not as one sided as people may think. Both schools have solid programs that compete with their respective regions.
Jeepman Wrote:I would much rather see Russell play Johnson Central, Portmouth, or even some 5-A teams in the Lexington area.

i dont kw why russell and jc dont play each other...
FBALL Wrote:I didn't say they couldn't be competitive. I just don't want to have to watch it in the cracker box stadium with endzones that have no corners and not nearly enough seating or parking.

Evans Stadium is not exactly the best stadium out there. The parking is not all that great either. I've had more trouble parking at Russell than Raceland. I have never had trouble parking at Raceland. If you want a seat, come to the game earlier. The only reason Russell has a bigger stadium is because it is a bigger school. As far as the endzones with no corners that is just a petty argument and lame excuses for not wanting to travel. I think that it is great that they renewed the rivalry after 30some years of not playing. They should have been playing all along. It is great for the community. I would rather see Raceland play a good Russell team than someone from out of the area that is usually not that good.
You can say whatever you want about whether this game should be played or not.... But if the past two years have been any indication - it is a NO BRAINER!!
Series split and great atmoshere, crowd and gate for both schools. I have been to many games at Russell and not seem many crowds like last year's game. If you look at the crowds that are there for games with Boyd, East, Mason, West, Lewis, Simon Kenton, and I could go on and on; there is no comparison. You have two good schools with a great tradition in football and with academics; two great coaching staffs; you have two communities with a lot of pride; you have a no brianer....
I hate to say it, but russell could not play with JC. It would be ugly if they played.
Jarons Wrote:Evans Stadium is not exactly the best stadium out there. The parking is not all that great either. I've had more trouble parking at Russell than Raceland. I have never had trouble parking at Raceland. If you want a seat, come to the game earlier. The only reason Russell has a bigger stadium is because it is a bigger school. As far as the endzones with no corners that is just a petty argument and lame excuses for not wanting to travel. I think that it is great that they renewed the rivalry after 30some years of not playing. They should have been playing all along. It is great for the community. I would rather see Raceland play a good Russell team than someone from out of the area that is usually not that good.

It's not a petty argument. It was mostly sarcasm. But there is nothing in there that wasn't true.

Raceland's stadium, if that is what you want to call it, has the seating capacity of the visitors side alone at Russell.

There are no corners to the endzones. All four corners are cut off by a black top track. They throw some old AstroTurf over the black top to fill in the cornors. I never have understood how that is even allowed. It's sure not safe.

Neither is the fact that becaue there is no place to sit the Racelnd fans are almost on the field in the endzones with lawnchairs and blankets right up to the out of bounds line. Every game I have ever been to down there the officials are constantly having to move people back. Not that they listen.

If you never had trouble parking down there it is either because you live close and walk or you know somebody that lives close, park at their house and walk.

Henry R.Evans stadium is much bigger. Many more seats and more room to stand without being on the field. Now new restrooms and a new field house are needed at Russell. There is no doubt about that. But it is I e of the better and bigger high school stadiums in the area if not the best.
The parking isn't better at Raceland, but I can understand why they'd want to play at their field. Moneywise, both schools would make much more at Henry R. Stadium with a split gate, but I will also say that the crowd is basically in on all the action at Raceland making for much more rowdy rivalry between the fans. Honestly, I think both programs are great and don't really care what they decided to do, but I can see both sides of the argument

I know that Johnson Central would love to play Russell. Do you think this series will ever happen Jeepman?
I doubt you see Russell and Johnson Central anytime soon. Ironton was just added to the schedule and obviously Raceland. Russell will always play Ashland, Boyd County and Greenup County. Then you have district games. That pretty much fills out the scedule.
FBALL Wrote:It's not a petty argument. It was mostly sarcasm. But there is nothing in there that wasn't true.

Raceland's stadium, if that is what you want to call it, has the seating capacity of the visitors side alone at Russell.

There are no corners to the endzones. All four corners are cut off by a black top track. They throw some old AstroTurf over the black top to fill in the cornors. I never have understood how that is even allowed. It's sure not safe.

Neither is the fact that becaue there is no place to sit the Racelnd fans are almost on the field in the endzones with lawnchairs and blankets right up to the out of bounds line. Every game I have ever been to down there the officials are constantly having to move people back. Not that they listen.

If you never had trouble parking down there it is either because you live close and walk or you know somebody that lives close, park at their house and walk.

Henry R.Evans stadium is much bigger. Many more seats and more room to stand without being on the field. Now new restrooms and a new field house are needed at Russell. There is no doubt about that. But it is I e of the better and bigger high school stadiums in the area if not the best.
Yes, I understand your argument about the track cutting through the end zone. I played there for four years and never understood it. Both teams play on the same field. I have never seen it become a factor in any game I played in or watched. I drive to game and park in the parking lot at the school, you just need to know where to park. As far as size, Raceland is a Class A school. I would expect Russell to have a larger stadium because it is a larger school. If you have been to any other Class A school's stadium you will see that Raceland's is much larger than many of the other Class A stadiums I have visited. As far as people standing on the track, it just adds to the atmosphere. The only time it is a major problem is when schools like Russell, Fairview etc. are playing at Raceland.
Keep it going the game is the best game in the area. Best athmosphere as well. Its a shame what some so called devil fans say on this board. This game will help you get ready for the playoffs by playing a good team and a great atmosphere
devilhorns05 Wrote:Keep it going the game is the best game in the area. Best athmosphere as well. Its a shame what some so called devil fans say on this board. This game will help you get ready for the playoffs by playing a good team and a great atmosphere

Great point. I am going to my first Raceland and Russell game this year. If the football game is anything like the basketball games I attended growing up, then I cannot wait to watch the game. This game is good for both schools regardless of where it is played.
Nothing against Raceland or ironton but would love to see Wheelersburg back in the mix. That also brings in a good big gate.
I'm all for keeping the games the way they are. I look forward to those good Ramburgers.