Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: I was just trying to sell a car...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to warn you that this story will be lengthy. There's a lot to it, so bear with me.

Short and sweet - my Jeep was stolen

Now, for the long version:

Monday morning I came in to work and my boss told me that he might have someone coming in to look at my Jeep that I'm selling. So, around 9 AM this guy named Rodney comes in and wants to take a look at it. Rodney was coming in to rent a car, but when my boss found out he didn't have a personal vehicle of his own, he told him that I was trying to sell my Jeep.

Things go well, he really likes it and wants to take it for a test drive. He drives it around and then he asked if he could take it to Berea, where his insurance agency was, to get insurance for it, so he could buy it/have the title transfered over into his name the next day. He had no other transportation to do this and I had to work, so I agreed. I informed him that the tags were 5 months expired and that he COULD get pulled over for that. He said he'd be careful.

So, around 10:30 or so, a girl I work with gets a call from him at the office. He says the door fell off and that he had it at Hurst Auto Body to get it looked at. I called him back at the body shop and he said that it would be about $150 to get it fixed. He then asked if I was willing to drop the price by that much, so that he could get it fixed. I agreed, and was under the impression that it had been left there. We spoke later in the day about meeting at the courthouse the next day to transfer the title. He agreed to meet at 9 AM Tuesday morning to sign it over.

I called him at 8:30 AM Tuesday morning to make sure everything was in order, when he informed me that he had not been able to get insurance on the vehicle yet. I told him there was no way we could transfer the title without him having insurance. Afterwards, I called Hurst Auto Body to see if the Jeep had been fixed. They told me that, while he had brought it in and got an estimate, he decided not to leave the Jeep with them and have it fixed, and that they referred him to Kentucky Collision in Richmond. I called him back and asked where the Jeep was - he said he was in it and on his way to get insurance. I told him that was not what he had initially told me and that I needed him to fork over the money in full, or bring the Jeep back. I said I couldn't risk him driving around in my vehicle, with expired tags, and him having no insurance. I thought he would be en route to bring the Jeep back to me.

Instead, I get a call around 10 or 10:30 AM from MBA Insurance Group in Berea. They said he had just been in there trying to get insurance, but that they didn't understand what the situation with the Jeep was. I told them that I was not letting him have the Jeep until I got the money in full. She then informed me that she was unsure whether or not this guy would even be able to get insurance, because she didn't think he had the money for it.

So, I took a shower because I had to get ready for work, and tried calling this guy on my way to work. He didn't answer, so I left a voicemail stating that I was at work until 6 PM and that he needed to return the Jeep to me by 6 PM or I would be calling the police. Well, I heard nothing until 5:50 PM, when his "friend" called Enterprise and asked for me. This friend told me that he had come to her house trying to get the money from them to buy the Jeep. He told her what my voicemail said and she was practically begging me not to call the police yet, that he would bring the Jeep back tonight and she would make sure of it. During this phone call, he's cussing me in the background. She says that he's in Jackson County right now (I assume where she lived) and that it would take him a little while to get the vehicle back to Richmond. She also said, he was afraid I would beat him up if he had returned it while I was at work. We agreed that 10 PM tonight was a fair amount of time to get it back.

So, my fiancee' and I go to Enterprise (where he was supposed to be dropping it off and it was a public place) at 10:15 PM and the Jeep is not there. We go run an errand at the post office and come back around 10:30 PM - the Jeep is still not there. At this point, I call him and ask where he's at. He says that when he got back to Richmond, he went to his apartment and the electricity had been cut off and that he had been evicted from his apartment, but that he had everything loaded up in the Jeep. I asked him where he was taking it and he said he didn't know. I asked if he had anywhere to take his stuff and drop it off and he said no. He said it would probably be tomorrow morning before he could find somewhere to drop his stuff off and get the Jeep back to me. I was pretty upset at this point. I told him, no, he needed to bring the Jeep back immediately. That we both agreed that the Jeep would be brought back by 10 PM at the latest and it still wasn't back, so he needed to bring it there immediately. At this point, the guy hung up on me. I called him back and it went straight to voicemail. I left him a message informing him that I was going to leave the property and give him 15 minutes to return the vehicle, and that if it was not back by then, that I was going to the police. I told him I didn't care if he had his stuff packed up in it, that he could carry it with him for all I care and that him getting evicted is not my problem, but him romping about in MY vehicle was a problem.

15 minutes go by and he still had not returned the Jeep. So my fiancee' and I went to the Richmond Police Department to report the vehicle as stolen. We got there and spent about an hour with the officer doing the report. He said that he could not report the vehicle stolen until tomorrow night. Basically, since I let the guy into the vehicle, and THEN he decided to use it for other stuff (other than test-driving it) that it was not considered stolen, and only "unauthorized use." The guy could still get in trouble if he gets pulled over, but that's if he hasn't bolted already. The officer said that, since the guy said it may not be until tomorrow morning that he would be able to return the car, that they could not report it stolen until then. So basically, I'm stuck until tomorrow night. If he still hasn't returned it by then, at that point it can be reported as a stolen vehicle and put into their system as a stolen vehicle. I'm definitely not answering the phone tomorrow, because technically, if I do and he says, "Well I'm not going to return it until Friday," then the police still wouldn't be able to report it as stolen, however, if I don't hear anything from him, or it's not returned by then, THEN it will be considered "stolen."

It's been a crazy couple of days, and all I was trying to do was sell a car.
Be sure to put a post-it note on your fridge that says:

When Rodney brings Jeep back, destroy him. Bury him in back yard.
Word to the wise do not let a stranger borrow the jeep. Your alot more considerate than me. now when he does bring the jeep back, he would be having to go the body shop to see how much they estimate a foot being removed from his arse!
Wasn't really letting him borrow it. Just test-driving and then he decided to keep it as long as he felt like it.

The Jeep is now back in my possession, another long post will be coming soon.
What an odd string of events.

What was your first impression of the guy? I usually get a good idea of a person before I would let them try out anything of mine.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Wasn't really letting him borrow it. Just test-driving and then he decided to keep it as long as he felt like it.

The Jeep is now back in my possession, another long post will be coming soon.

lol
BlackcatAlum Wrote:What an odd string of events.

What was your first impression of the guy? I usually get a good idea of a person before I would let them try out anything of mine.

He came off as a gentle, older man (he's around 54 or 55). He was very polite, kind of had a "good, ole boy" sense about him.
Short version: the Jeep is back in my possession.

Now for the story:

So, I go in to work today, hoping that maybe the guy brought the Jeep back overnight and left it there. Well, he did not. However, I was waiting until the officer I spoke with last night got back on duty (which would have been 11 PM tonight) before I could report it officially "stolen."

I tell the guys at work what happened; my boss was apologetic because he was the one who told the guy to come check out the Jeep in the first place. The day goes by and nothing happens. Around 5:40 PM, I got sent to Berea to drop a car off at Tokico, I take it down there and my boss, Ben, picks me up. On our way back to Richmond, he says that we should go to the street this guy said he lived on and see if it's there. Well, as we were getting on the Richmond exit, about to enter the bypass, Ben sees a red Jeep. As it nears us, I see that it's MY Jeep. We follow the guy down the bypass and he pulls in to Speedway, turns around and pulls back out. He then heads across the road to Goodyear. We thought at first he was returning the car behind Enterprise like I had been telling him to do, but that was not the case.

Ben pulls a minivan around and blocks the Jeep so the guy can't get back out. Another man in the passenger's side, says, "Hey I don't know what's going on here, I was just broke down on the side of the road and this guy gave me a ride." Ben, jumps out of the minivan and says, "Hey, that's not your Jeep!"

Thief: "I know, I'm just dropping this guy off and then I need to go somewhere."

Ben: "No, you're getting out of this car right now! RIGHT NOW!"

Thief: "Okay, okay, I gotta get my stuff outta here."

So, the guy starts pulling all kinds of junk out of the Jeep and what do I notice? HE'S WEARING MY CLOTHES! Yes, the guy has on my Ninja Turtles t-shirt and a pair of khaki pants that I had left in the Jeep after a show! I told Ben to hang around because I still had stuff at Enterprise I needed, but that I was going to take the Jeep and park it at my apartment so he couldn't do anything else to it.

I take it to the apartment, park it, and go back to Enterprise/Goodyear (BTW, Enterprise and Goodyear are right next door to each other. The guy was an idiot for not thinking we'd see him.

On the way back, I called the police and informed them what was going on, the said they were sending an officer over there. When I got back to the guy, he was trying to hide some of my stuff in one of his bags; most notably, a Chevy Bel Air Zippo lighter that my friends had bought me for my birthday 4 years ago.

I said, "Hey that's not your lighter."

He said, "Oh, I'm sorry I'm just nervous right now."

When I looked into the bag, I noticed he was trying to take my other stuff I had left in the Jeep - things like a Maglite flashlight, a winter coat, and of all things, an Enterprise work-shirt. The police officer pulls up and asks what going on. I told him the short version of what had happened and then I said, "And if that's not enough, the guy's wearing my clothes."

He looked puzzled. He said, "The shoes too?"

I said, "No, just the Ninja Turtles shirt and the pants."

The officer goes over to him and asks what's going on. The guy tried to say that he had the right to be driving the Jeep because I told him he could test drive it. The officer then says, "Okay, now why are you wearing his clothes?"

The thief says, "Well, I diarrhea'd all over mine, and didn't have any others, so these were what I had to put on."

The officer told him he would need to give me back all of my stuff and the guy started raising his voice to the officer. The officer told him to lower his voice. The thief kept on trying to explain himself and kept getting worked up and raising his voice. The officer told him 2 or 3 times to lower his voice, before finally pulling out his handcuffs and threatening to cuff the guy if he did not calm down. He immediately lowered his voice. He tried to tell the officer he had a head injury that made him nervous. The officer said, "If you have a head injury that makes you unable to control your temper, then I need to cuff you and have you looked at for health reasons." The thief, said, "No, no, I'm fine, there's no need for that." The officer went with us to Enterprise so the guy could go in the bathroom and change clothes...aka put on his old "diarrhea'd" clothes. He took forever to change and the officer kept his hand on his gun the whole time. The officer said he was always worried when someone went into a bathroom alone. The guy finally comes out of the bathroom and hands me my clothes. He had indeed pooped his pants. There were skidmarks all up and down his old pants he had put on, and the guy hadn't been wearing any underwear when he put mine on, so I now have a pair of ruined khaki's with skidmarks all over them. I have a feeling they'll be burned soon.

I asked the officer what I could do, if anything. He said that since it wasn't reported as "stolen" my only real option was to take him to court for the damages he caused.

Oh, I didn't even get into that yet. The guy somehow managed to break the driver's side seat. It's nearly un-driveable because the seat is stripped of a nut in one spot. He also yanked the overhead light out of it's socket and broke the handle off the passenger's side door.

The officer on the scene said that I could really only try to take him to court for those damages, but it was unlikely I'd get anything because the guy obviously didn't have any money. We did, while the officer was there, write up a quick contract saying that the guy would pay me for the damages by the 5th of next month, and we both signed the "contract."

I still need to call the officer that helped me last night and tell him what happened, after that I will know what I can do from there.

I hope I haven't left anything out. Glad the Jeep is back, and need to watch my back for a few days.
Sounds like a great jeep cause, it tickled the poop out of that theif.lol
man you have had terrible luck...Like someone posted before I wouldn't of let a stranger take my jeep for a spin unless I was in it with him...the way the world is today who knows what may happen...
ComfortEagle Wrote:The officer then says, "Okay, now why are you wearing his clothes?"

The thief says, "Well, I diarrhea'd all over mine, and didn't have any others, so these were what I had to put on."

He had indeed pooped his pants. There were skidmarks all up and down his old pants he had put on, and the guy hadn't been wearing any underwear when he put mine on, so I now have a pair of ruined khaki's with skidmarks all over them.

:thatsfunn

Best part of the whole story right there...

:flush:
bigjim4packers Wrote:Sounds like a great jeep cause, it tickled the poop out of that theif.lol

I hate that it happened, very glad your Jeep is back, and the quoted post made the whole story funny in the end.
Great story but you got had.