Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Volquez could miss 12 months
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez underwent "Tommy John" surgery on Monday and is expected to be out approximately 12 months, the team announced.

Dr. Timothy Kremchek did the surgery, which repaired a torn ulnar collateral ligament and torn flexor mass in the pitcher's right elbow.

Volquez had been on the disabled list since June 2 because of tendinitis in his right elbow.

Last week he complained of soreness after throwing 20 pitches in a simulated game.

Volquez was 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA this season.

“I feel bad because I’ve been working to get back,” Volquez said last week. “Now I want to be ready for next year.”
Im Not Big On Baseball But How Bad Of A Injury Takes 12 Months To Heal?
Depending on the extent of ligament replacement, Tommy John is the most extreme surgery for a baseball player to fully recover from
Thanks Smile
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Im Not Big On Baseball But How Bad Of A Injury Takes 12 Months To Heal?

At one time this injury was a death sentence for a pitcher. He may be back in 12 months, but look for about 20 months at best to be back 100%.
Stardust Wrote:Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez underwent "Tommy John" surgery on Monday and is expected to be out approximately 12 months, the team announced.

Dr. Timothy Kremchek did the surgery, which repaired a torn ulnar collateral ligament and torn flexor mass in the pitcher's right elbow.

Volquez had been on the disabled list since June 2 because of tendinitis in his right elbow.

Last week he complained of soreness after throwing 20 pitches in a simulated game.

Volquez was 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA this season.

“I feel bad because I’ve been working to get back,” Volquez said last week. “Now I want to be ready for next year.”

Funny after two months they just figure out that his UCL is torn? I understand wanting to avoid exploratory surgery but,you would think that when you are paying these guys millions of dollars that that would be the first thing that you would check for.
More bad news for a team that seems to be a magnet for it...
More Cowbell Wrote:More bad news for a team that seems to be a magnet for it...

For 10 years there has been a black cloud over this team (or is it just the lingering cigarette smoke from Marge)
With the way things have been going lately, you wonder how much longer it will be until Cueto has some kind of injury too... Sad
Dusty Baker is notorius for ruining talented arms early on in their careers. Most notably, Mark Prior and Kerry Wood from when Baker was with the Cubs. I sure hope that doesn't happen to Cueto and Volquez...
What people are not realizing is that often when people complain about sore arms, it is normal and usual to say to rest it for around a month and then start using it again.

I had Tommy John surgery, and actually had it done by the same doctor. At first i had to rest it, and see if it healed on its own. Then after I came back four weeks later, I was throwing fine, thought everything was good. In the middle of a game, I felt something go immediately and walked into his office and he held it in his hand and knew immediately, prior to the huge long needle in my elbow that I was going to need the surgery. It is a grueling rehab and it took me around a year and a half to fully feel better. But I recovered and came back even stronger. This could be a great thing for Volquez. maybe not for the Reds, but def. for him.

It is pointless to blame Kremchek or Dusty for this. People that have to have TJ surgery typically just grew too fast for their ligament to catch up, or have been pitching a long while and the ligament gets worn down. It happens. It isn't a death sentence for a pitcher anymore.
drizzy Wrote:What people are not realizing is that often when people complain about sore arms, it is normal and usual to say to rest it for around a month and then start using it again.

I had Tommy John surgery, and actually had it done by the same doctor. At first i had to rest it, and see if it healed on its own. Then after I came back four weeks later, I was throwing fine, thought everything was good. In the middle of a game, I felt something go immediately and walked into his office and he held it in his hand and knew immediately, prior to the huge long needle in my elbow that I was going to need the surgery. It is a grueling rehab and it took me around a year and a half to fully feel better. But I recovered and came back even stronger. This could be a great thing for Volquez. maybe not for the Reds, but def. for him.

It is pointless to blame Kremchek or Dusty for this. People that have to have TJ surgery typically just grew too fast for their ligament to catch up, or have been pitching a long while and the ligament gets worn down. It happens. It isn't a death sentence for a pitcher anymore.

I think you have missed a few posts above. Dusty is either bad for pitchers, or he has Bad luck with pitchers. His history proves that pitchers for him have lost their careers under his leadership. Is that just plain bad luck, or when do you look at the guy responsible? You say that TJ surgery is no big deal, I beg to differ. When your body goes under the knife, you never know how it will react.

If TJ surgery was no big deal, then I beg to say that Mark Pryor and Kerry Wood had terrible rehab under Dusty, because they were ruined after surgery, surgery that had to be done during Dusty's watch!
Stardust Wrote:I think you have missed a few posts above. Dusty is either bad for pitchers, or he has Bad luck with pitchers. His history proves that pitchers for him have lost their careers under his leadership. Is that just plain bad luck, or when do you look at the guy responsible? You say that TJ surgery is no big deal, I beg to differ. When your body goes under the knife, you never know how it will react.

If TJ surgery was no big deal, then I beg to say that Mark Pryor and Kerry Wood had terrible rehab under Dusty, because they were ruined after surgery, surgery that had to be done during Dusty's watch!

And again, i will tell you, as someone who has had the surgery that I'd know from first hand experience. I know TJ surgery is a big deal; any surgery is. But if you rehab correctly, you WILL come back stronger and more confident. If Pryor and Wood rehabbed badly, then it would not be Dusty's fault at all. It would be the trainer, and the pitchers themselves, as the rehab is largely a bunch of exercises you must do at home and have the self discipline to do every single night routinely. Many people don't do this right.

the surgery is becoming more and more common. In fact many pitchers are having it JUST to add mph's and strength to their arms.

The unfortunate truth about Cincinnati fans, and I've lived all over the US and every city has them, but the vast majority of Cincinnati fans find everything and anyone to blame for the Reds and the Bengals being a bust.
I don't blame Dusty for Volquez's injury. I really don't think he has overworked him at all.

I do blame the excessive workload caused by pitching in winter ball and then in the World Baseball Classic this spring. Volquez essentially got no rest this offseason, on the heels of pitching a full season in 2008. These players from Latin America are going to have to learn how to say no to their home countries, unless they want to jeopardize their pro career.
drizzy Wrote:What people are not realizing is that often when people complain about sore arms, it is normal and usual to say to rest it for around a month and then start using it again.

Thanks for confirming what I previously posted. This is not a 12 month full recovery process.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Thanks for confirming what I previously posted. This is not a 12 month full recovery process.

no problem.

After about 2 months Volquez is going to feel like his arm is in the best shape it's ever been and he'll want to throw, but the key is not to. If he rushes it even a little bit, it is only going to lengthen the process. I was cleared to throw within the year, about 10 months later, but i was not even close to 100% (and actually I feel like I ended up at around 125% when all was said and done) until a year and a half later. It's going to be a long process for him. Bad for the Reds IMO.
drizzy Wrote:no problem.

After about 2 months Volquez is going to feel like his arm is in the best shape it's ever been and he'll want to throw, but the key is not to. If he rushes it even a little bit, it is only going to lengthen the process. I was cleared to throw within the year, about 10 months later, but i was not even close to 100% (and actually I feel like I ended up at around 125% when all was said and done) until a year and a half later. It's going to be a long process for him. Bad for the Reds IMO.

Did you see an increase on the radar gun?
drizzy Wrote:no problem.

I'm battling this right now with a kid who had the surgery in December last year. He still is not at the strength that he needs to be, but because he feels so good, he wants to fire away.