Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Where Is The Reporting On The Afghanistan War?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
During the Bush administration the Iraqi was dominating the news. Networks continously showed groups like code pink and Nancy Sheean (sp.) protesting the war, demanding that Bush bring the troops home.
Where are these people today, very rarely do you see any demostrations about the war. According to one article 128 U.S. servicemen and women have died in Afghanistan this year.

"The Human Rights Unit of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan announced it recorded 1,013 civilian deaths in Afghanistan during the first six months of this year. That compares to 818 Afghan civilians who were killed during the same period in 2008, while 684 civilians were killed during the first half of 2007.
Insurgent roadside bombs and suicide attacks, as well as air strikes conducted by U.S. and NATO forces, are the two deadliest tactics being used in Afghanistan.
Fifty-nine percent of this year's civilian casualties resulted from insurgent bombs. Western military airstrikes killed 30.5 percent of the civilians."

"The United States has nearly doubled the number of American forces in Afghanistan since last year. US-NATO troops have mounted on of the biggest military operations of the eight year war, in an effort to route Taliban insurgents from safe havens in Southern Afghanistan, ahead of August 20th presidential elections.
The intensified military activities have contributed to making June the deadliest month for Western forces for the war. At least 44 American service members died in the conflict zone this month, in addition to some 29 Coalition forces"

I know there were several on this site that were critical of the war during the Bush adminstration........I wonder where their at now.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/07...cnn_latest
Old School Wrote:During the Bush administration the Iraqi was dominating the news. Networks continously showed groups like code pink and Nancy Sheean (sp.) protesting the war, demanding that Bush bring the troops home.
Where are these people today, very rarely do you see any demostrations about the war. According to one article 128 U.S. servicemen and women have died in Afghanistan this year.

"The Human Rights Unit of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan announced it recorded 1,013 civilian deaths in Afghanistan during the first six months of this year. That compares to 818 Afghan civilians who were killed during the same period in 2008, while 684 civilians were killed during the first half of 2007.
Insurgent roadside bombs and suicide attacks, as well as air strikes conducted by U.S. and NATO forces, are the two deadliest tactics being used in Afghanistan.
Fifty-nine percent of this year's civilian casualties resulted from insurgent bombs. Western military airstrikes killed 30.5 percent of the civilians."

"The United States has nearly doubled the number of American forces in Afghanistan since last year. US-NATO troops have mounted on of the biggest military operations of the eight year war, in an effort to route Taliban insurgents from safe havens in Southern Afghanistan, ahead of August 20th presidential elections.
The intensified military activities have contributed to making June the deadliest month for Western forces for the war. At least 44 American service members died in the conflict zone this month, in addition to some 29 Coalition forces"

I know there were several on this site that were critical of the war during the Bush adminstration........I wonder where their at now.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/07...cnn_latest
I was critical of the Bush going into Iraq, not Afghanistan, and am critical of Obama taking troops back into Afghanistan. I don't think we have anymore business over there.
TheRealVille Wrote:I was critical of the Bush going into Iraq, not Afghanistan, and am critical of Obama taking troops back into Afghanistan. I don't think we have anymore business over there.

Wow. No business in Afghanistan? We are responsible for the shape of their country now. With the globalization of the world their problems easily become ours. Do you realize how many drugs come from that country? Then look at how many of those drugs end up here. How many people do we have in prison today as a result of those drugs? How much it cost us to keep each one of those prisoners? Where does the profit of those drugs go? What do they use that money for? These are the reasons we need to be there. We need more troops in that country and a better game plan. Which i believe is the direction we are moving. And we will win. Keep the media out. They have way to much influence in this country the way it is.
Matman Wrote:Wow. No business in Afghanistan? We are responsible for the shape of their country now. With the globalization of the world their problems easily become ours. Do you realize how many drugs come from that country? Then look at how many of those drugs end up here. How many people do we have in prison today as a result of those drugs? How much it cost us to keep each one of those prisoners? Where does the profit of those drugs go? What do they use that money for? These are the reasons we need to be there. We need more troops in that country and a better game plan. Which i believe is the direction we are moving. And we will win. Keep the media out. They have way to much influence in this country the way it is.

Great post:Thumbs:
Maybe if they had more oil we would have kept more troops there in the first place?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Maybe if they had more oil we would have kept more troops there in the first place?

They have plenty of natural resources. China just gave them a ton of money to mine their copper.
Matman Wrote:They have plenty of natural resources. China just gave them a ton of money to mine their copper.
Isn't that a 4 letter word on here?
The coverage was never that much after the beginning of the war in Iraq in 03.
I think the lack of coverage is because the war in Afghanistan was over before it begun...most of the Taliban's 50,000+ plus strong army was wiped out in 2 months, from Nov-Jan 2002 thanks to about 150 CIA, JSOC(delta force), Special forces and the Afghan Northern Alliance. The 10th Mountain and 101st didn't get there until Febuary. That is one of the reasons Bin Laden escaped. There just wasn't enough man power on our side to be able to keep him from getting into Pakistan. Anyway, back to the topic. The war if Afghanistan is a "boring" war compared to Iraq. No big stories to report on. The terrain is also **** for people thats not used to it. Not many reporters would enjoy 10,000ft very long. Theres a common misconception by civilians here that the Taliban are like the insurgents in Iraq, bad fighters. They are the opposite. They are skilled fighters. You have to remember, these are the same people that kicked the crap out of Russia. We are the first outside force to ever control Afghanistan.

TheRealVille is totally wrong on this one. Yes, we could probably leave right now and they would be fine without us. We don't have to rebuild anything, it's not like Iraq. The reason we have to stay is simple. Once we leave, within months the Taliban will be trying to take control of the country again. The Afghan national army and the Northern Alliance are well equiped but the Taliban has just as good if not better weapons and logistics as they do. They wear body army and kevlars just like us. The bottom line is that we need to stay until we catch or kille Al-Zawahiri or Bin Laden...and that isn't going to happen as long as we have our best units here at home and less the 50,000 troops in Afghanistan.
The reporitng for the War is at my house drunk on my couch! He know's the real story and much more. I am just glad he is home. On the other side of the coin they already have plans to send him back. Giving him my pre-season tickets to see the Chargers and the Seahawks! Its the least i could do.
Hilbily Wrote:The reporitng for the War is at my house drunk on my couch! He know's the real story and much more. I am just glad he is home. On the other side of the coin they already have plans to send him back. Giving him my pre-season tickets to see the Chargers and the Seahawks! Its the least i could do.

God bless him, and I thnak him for his service