Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jenkins Football 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With a new experienced and knowledgable coaching staff, improved facilities for offseason work, and over double the numbers of last years team; how do you think Jenkins will stack up against their competition? Here is their schedule. What do you think?

Schedule
Phelps - Away - 8/21/09
Allen Central - Away - 8/28/09
South Floyd - Home - 9/4/09
Bishop Brossart - Away - 9/12/09
Pound, VA - Home - 9/18/09
Open - 9/25/09
Magoffin County - Home - 10/2/09
Pineville - Away - 10/9/09
Hazard - Away - 10/16/09
Harlan Ind. - Home - 10/23/09
Betsy Layne - Home - 10/30/09
IMO they will have wins against Phelps, South Floyd, Bishop Brossart, Pound VA, and Magoffin; with the potential of beating Allen Central, Harlan, and Betsy Layne. I am going to go with what I had initially said. That should put them at 5-5. However, they could feasiablly have the potential to go about 7-3, which is incredible compared to last year. Good luck Cavaliers!
not going to happen.... I did hear that they have an improved facility, is it true that they have put in a 100 grand weight room?
4-6 good luck
1-9
2-8
firechief Wrote:not going to happen.... I did hear that they have an improved facility, is it true that they have put in a 100 grand weight room?

Yes it's true. They are also getting new locker rooms, new uniforms, new perimeter fencing, and I have heard talk of a new scoreboard. Back to the weight room; it's truly amazing. By far the nicest in this area. The only one even comparable is Letcher Central's and it's nicer than theirs.
I see records being posted but who do you think they will beat and who do you think they will lose to?
1-9
Hope they prove me wrong but even with all of the new advantages they have they are left without a shred of one very important thing: TALENT!
4-6 at best. With wins over Phelps, South Floyd, Pound, and Betsy Layne.
1-9, Best of luck to the Cavs!
I wish Jenkins all the luck in the world but lets face it people no talent=no wins.
How is Jenkins lookin this season?
Any pics of the new weight room available?
Yes I would love to see it.
2-8, maybe 3-7 and more competative.
If they at least win one district win it will be a breakout year.
Why would one district win be a "break out" season? Have you seen the teams in their district? WEAK with the exception of Hazard. After you take HHS out of the picture, all of the other teams are pretty much on level playing ground.
Their district is so weak they will probably win more.
With Larry Maggard in there things will certainly improve. I played with his uncle & watched him at Marshall. Nonetheless with his personnel 5-5 will be a good season. They will lose to Pound they always do even when Pound is inferior, but perhaps he can build on it for the next season!
UKfrenzy Wrote:I wish Jenkins all the luck in the world but lets face it people no talent=no wins.

I'm not sure lack of talent will be the issue with this seasons team. I think the talent level with the first string players is pretty good. Here are the issues to be overcome in my my opinion:

1) Depth - Will there be enough depth to fill in the gaps if key first string players are injuerd or ineligbe, etc. Also, will there be enough depth to rotate players through the game so the first string doesn't fade in the 4th quarter.

2) How will the team adjust to new coaches and learning a new system on offense and defense.

3) Strength & conditining - There is sparkling new weight room/fitness center but it won't really provide much of an advantage this season. There has been a lack of strength and conditioning for the team in years past and it showed. This will get better in the future with new facilities and coaches but it will be a problem this year.

4) Experience - There are 7 seniors on the team that will all get playing time but some of them have not played alot in the past. Also there will be several talented but young players on the field as well. This lack of experience will be an obstacle for the staff to overcome.

5) Attitude - I have been to a number of practices and the players are all enthustiac with the new staff and are working hard. However the coaching staff will have to instill an attitude of confidence and winning and overcome the attitude of the past.
LetcherCentral23 Wrote:With a new experienced and knowledgable coaching staff, improved facilities for offseason work, and over double the numbers of last years team; how do you think Jenkins will stack up against their competition? Here is their schedule. What do you think?

Schedule
Phelps - Away - 8/21/09
Allen Central - Away - 8/28/09
South Floyd - Home - 9/4/09
Bishop Brossart - Away - 9/12/09
Pound, VA - Home - 9/18/09
Open - 9/25/09
Magoffin County - Home - 10/2/09
Pineville - Away - 10/9/09
Hazard - Away - 10/16/09
Harlan Ind. - Home - 10/23/09
Betsy Layne - Home - 10/30/09

I think the Cavs will take their lumps against Allen Central, Pineville, Hazard, and possibly Harlan. I tihnk they should be competive in the rest of the games. 6-4 is possible with a little good luck, 5-5 or 4-6 may be a more realistic target, but a few key injuries could also result in 2-8.
LetcherCentral23 Wrote:Why would one district win be a "break out" season? Have you seen the teams in their district? WEAK with the exception of Hazard. After you take HHS out of the picture, all of the other teams are pretty much on level playing ground.

I don't think that Harlan will be weak. If I am not mistaken they didn't loose a lot. Pineville to me is the one team I think Jenkins can win. I hope I am wrong, I would love to see them beat Harlan and Pineville and get a district runner up.
firechief Wrote:Any pics of the new weight room available?

I don't have pictures but I have seen it and it is truely spectactualr!! It is state of the art and without a doubt the finest high school facility in the area and would rival several of the college facilites in the area. According to the genltleman from the vendor who installed the equipment, the facility at Jenkins is very to similar to facilities he has previously installed at the University of Michigan and Michigan State University. It will truly be an assest to all the athletic programs and the students and staff at the school in years to come. The facility which is a "fitness center" will also be used in the curriculm for fitness classes for all the students and it will be availabe in the off hours for all teachers and staff to use as well.
Let's get real people nothings going to change at Jenkins.....1-9 maybe 2-8
If they win more than two, you are going to hear it. Go Cavs!
LetcherCentral23 Wrote:Why would one district win be a "break out" season? Have you seen the teams in their district? WEAK with the exception of Hazard. After you take HHS out of the picture, all of the other teams are pretty much on level playing ground.

It didn't seem too level last year.

Harlan 33
Jenkins 0

Pineville 48
Jenkins 14

Harlan and Pineville have almost everyone back. Jenkins lost a lot.
Guys, don't put your money on this program right now, it will take time, a new weight room is great, it takes time to get stronger, not overnite. I think three years, the new staff, the new weight room and the kids there today are laying a foundation.

I spoke to a guy I know well and he told me the same thing bassman spoke of. He said it rivaled many colleges and that it was the best around here as far as high school programs. He did tell me he has pictures from the start of the program and will be taken more as soon as the new logo is completed.
oh, don't forget this, when was the last time so much was talked about this program, the community is happy with the changes, it will take time but it just may happen.
Getting excited. I may be living in whitesburg, but I went to school at Jenkins. Glad there is a football atmosphere this year like it was in 94, and 95. Remember those years?
Pages: 1 2 3