Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Central Michigan offers Holmes R. Johnson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got a text from Rico about an hour ago letting me know that not only is his team in the elite 8 now at nationals, but he also picked up an offer from Central Michigan this morning.
lol, Maybe the MAC could have just pooled all their teams together and just made one big offer....
Congrats Ricardo! Many more offers to come though.
From Brett Blevins of hoopsreport.com:

The newest offer for Ricardo Johnson comes from Central Michigan. They join the fray with Bradley, Marshall, and Ohio University as suitors who have offered the 6'4 combo guard. Johnson is concentrating on finishing out the summer strong, and he will take a closer look at his options during the fall.

Johnson is a true combo guard. He has handles and can run the point if needed, and he can guard both the 1 and 2 positions. Defensively, he is always in a good position and rarely comes out of his stance. Physically he is ready to contribute at the D1 level. He is a mature kid with a great work ethic, that will only continue to get better.

Ricardo is currently playing alongside his brother Jeremiah Johnson (J.J.), another D1 prospect, with the KY Firebirds. They are undefeated going into the quarterfinals tonight at Div II Nationals in Orlando. We will check back in on their 5:30 game.

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/eventrep...ngupoffers
Stardust Wrote:lol, Maybe the MAC could have just pooled all their teams together and just made one big offer....

I once got blasted for saying at this point he was a MAC level player... :blabbermo
nkysportsblog Wrote:I once got blasted for saying at this point he was a MAC level player... :blabbermo

And I'll stick by my beliefs that Ricardo is better than a MAC level player at this point.

Do you think if he were playing for a program like Derek Smith or Shining Stars he'd have the same offers as he does now? I fully believe that he would have much bigger offers. What hurts him is he only played in two national tournaments this whole summer (It takes 5ive and Nationals) because of the AAU program he played for. Bruce can't get certified to coach in the NCAA events, therefor they usually stay local which gives Ricardo less exposure when it comes to competing against the bigger name guards and AAU programs.
I have been watching basketball for a long time; and at this stage Ricardo Johnson is a solid MAC level player. He has glimmers of more than that, but overall he is seeing a trend for a reason.

I'd like to see hm at Ohio or Marshall, or if Xavier can get on board I'd like that.
I don't know what level D-1 player RICARDO is right now. But IMO, if Vee Sanford can play for a bcs school, than Rico should. In the sweet 16 he was clearly the best player at Rupp. From what I hear a lot of the big schools, don't want deal with the AAU coach. The rumblings in Covington are they would rather wait and deal with Henley. No matter where he ends up, one thing is for sure somebody will end up with a great basketball player, and even greater kid. If you play basketball in Northern Kentucky and get a D-1 offer of any kind it's big. Still a lot of basketball to be played this year. Any updates on Pittman or J.J...
tezzy859 Wrote:I don't know what level D-1 player RICARDO is right now. But IMO, if Vee Sanford can play for a bcs school, than Rico should. In the sweet 16 he was clearly the best player at Rupp. From what I hear a lot of the big schools, don't want deal with the AAU coach. The rumblings in Covington are they would rather wait and deal with Henley. No matter where he ends up, one thing is for sure somebody will end up with a great basketball player, and even greater kid. If you play basketball in Northern Kentucky and get a D-1 offer of any kind it's big. Still a lot of basketball to be played this year. Any updates on Pittman or J.J...

Not sure about Pittman, but JJ has played very well this summer.
Who is on the wish list for Ricardo. I love seeing the updates on who is offering, but where would he like to go?
Stardust Wrote:Who is on the wish list for Ricardo. I love seeing the updates on who is offering, but where would he like to go?

He's pretty much open to everyone right now and just seeing what comes his way. I know Xavier was pretty high on his list when Miller was there but things could have changed since.
kywldcat01 Wrote:He's pretty much open to everyone right now and just seeing what comes his way. I know Xavier was pretty high on his list when Miller was there but things could have changed since.

I just read that Western Kentucky offered Johnson. I don't know if it's true or not.
tezzy859 Wrote:I just read that Western Kentucky offered Johnson. I don't know if it's true or not.

Lol... No it was Western Michigan.
kywldcat01 Wrote:And I'll stick by my beliefs that Ricardo is better than a MAC level player at this point.

Do you think if he were playing for a program like Derek Smith or Shining Stars he'd have the same offers as he does now? I fully believe that he would have much bigger offers. What hurts him is he only played in two national tournaments this whole summer (It takes 5ive and Nationals) because of the AAU program he played for. Bruce can't get certified to coach in the NCAA events, therefor they usually stay local which gives Ricardo less exposure when it comes to competing against the bigger name guards and AAU programs.

That's not the point. My statement was the first time you told me I was wrong was that he is being recruited as a MAC level player. That's where any scout who watches him play sees him and so do the coaches.

Those things go into it though... Not playing in the top tournaments and against the best players consistently absolutely hurts you, but that doesn't mean he is more than a MAC level player if he's not proving it. I think your confusing what you think he can do versus what he has actually proven and how he is being viewed by the people who are recruiting him. FTR I want the best for Ric ... I really hope he goes somewhere where he can be successful in basketball and then in life.
nkysportsblog Wrote:Lol... No it was Western Michigan.

Thats what I figured, but on the other site they put Western Kentucky.