Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: High school wrestling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please get this conversation started. Especially you cougar fans. This sport in my opinion needs just as much attention. As I posted in a earlier thread, other schools use this sport to better there football players. I strongly feel if this is done right, nothing but good could come out of this. Letcher County Central and other schools should look at this.

Kids starting early

I want to know what you guys think.
Letcher County can really benefit from a youth program in the county. The middle schools have a fledgling program, but the word is only now reaching all of the middle schools. Hope we see some positive results. I noticed that the AAU program for the Kentucky District (#41) is, of course, operated out of Louisville and incorporates some border programs from Indiana. Maybe we could tag into some of the AAU programs operating out of the Tri-Cities area?
Would love to see the youth come out and wrestle. Getting the word out, and getting the commitment of the youth, and our powers at the school and the BOE is another.
I MAY and strongly say MAY be trying to start some sort of AAU program after this years wrestling season for middle and high school.
If you do I think that would be great.
do u know any good websites for wrestling
Aldana Wrote:do u know any good websites for wrestling

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com

if you want national wrestling

http://www.themat.com is good
Pike County Central High School is starting their wrestling program Monday is our 1st practice,I'm really excited for this, I think it will help our football players as well
Who is the coach?
wrestler_119 Wrote:Who is the coach?

I hear its Coach Hollen but im not sure
Correct, as far as I know. He represented them at the coach's clinic.
Cant wait to see how Sc and matt slone does!!
he should be the Favorite in his weight Class
matts an awesome wrestler. should do very good this year.

hes ranked 2nd in the state at 140.
YES!! Coach Steve Hollen is the coach for Pike Central,Good luck to all teams.....GO HAWKS
Good luck to all teams.
hawkfan1 Wrote:YES!! Coach Steve Hollen is the coach for Pike Central,Good luck to all teams.....GO HAWKS

Is it an actual team? Or just the one wrestler transferred from perry? If so, any idea who is helping Hollen?
The ideas that I have come up with 119 is awesome way of getting the youth involved. It would take me a long time to type it up, but I think it is cool. When I get it typed up, I will let you know.
After talking with coach Matney this weekend he says they have 2 separate middle school practices. 3 schools practice at one gym, and three more at another. Can you imagine having that type of feeder program? So big you have to have two separate middle school practices! WOW, State contender in JC's future for sure!
would love to hear it cougarpride. the only way to build a good high school program is to have a tough middle/elementary program. you cant start off every year with over half the kids in the room being first year wrestlers.
Send that message to AC, and OJ! This needs to be done.
The best wrestling websit is themat.com
csabo17 Wrote:Is it an actual team? Or just the one wrestler transferred from perry? If so, any idea who is helping Hollen?

Yes its a actual team,and Yes Kody was transferred from Perry,but Kody is a Hawk now,and I'm sure 30+ boys would meet you on the mat to defend him!! and for the asst. coach it is coach Josh Preece
hawkfan1 Wrote:Yes its a actual team,and Yes Kody was transferred from Perry,but Kody is a Hawk now,and I'm sure 30+ boys would meet you on the mat to defend him!! and for the asst. coach it is coach Josh Preece

I dont think he meant it to offend you hawk fan.
csabo17 Wrote:Is it an actual team? Or just the one wrestler transferred from perry? If so, any idea who is helping Hollen?

This is a mean spirited comment. It appears to me that someone is jealous, worried, or unhappy by loosing the kid. In either case, these forums should be about topics for discussion not attacking a teenage or his family. So what if the kid transferred whose concern is it but his and his families. Yes, coach Hollon did restart the team and no his son isn’t the only one. His son is only one of 30 wonderful kids. The team is green but they are learning the fundamentals and developing. :freezing:
:thanks:
Roundabout Wrote:This is a mean spirited comment. It appears to me that someone is jealous, worried, or unhappy by loosing the kid. In either case, these forums should be about topics for discussion not attacking a teenage or his family. So what if the kid transferred whose concern is it but his and his families. Yes, coach Hollon did restart the team and no his son isn’t the only one. His son is only one of 30 wonderful kids. The team is green but they are learning the fundamentals and developing. :freezing:

Thank You Roundabout!! GO HAWKS
Dont a team mean more then one
I have been hearing good things about Pike Central wrestling team. Kids are having fun doing it. That is great keep it up Hollon good things will happen . Also I heard Cody has not been beat yet. Is that true?
Ive not been reading the forum as much lately, sorry for the long time off.

Just let me say I in no way meant that to be an insult. I know Steve, and Cody very well. As a matter of fact I think I may of been Cody's first wrestling coach, not sure if Chaney was there when he was young or not. The reason i said it AT THE TIME I hadnt seen Pike at any matches, and had only talked to Steve at the rules clinic in which he said he wasnt sure if they would have a team this year or wait until next. But if they didnt he would probably still take Cody around to keep him wrestling.

As far as jealous or worried,Ive been gone from the program and living/working out of state for the last 3-4 years and just moved back. It is no longer my team. I will say that I think Perry football losing Cody was probably more of a hurt than Perry wrestling. Kids a beast, and from what i hear he had a great year at Pike this year.

BTW, in my 4-5 years coaching there it was very rare for me to have more than 6 wrestlers left at the end of a season. So to me ive never really thought of a wrestling team as a whole. Id rather have 6 tough kids that wanna be there and win, than 20 kids you have to beg to come to practice and baby so they wont quit. So yes in wrestling if I took one kid around all year, id still consider it my team.
csabo17 Wrote:Ive not been reading the forum as much lately, sorry for the long time off.

Just let me say I in no way meant that to be an insult. I know Steve, and Cody very well. As a matter of fact I think I may of been Cody's first wrestling coach, not sure if Chaney was there when he was young or not. The reason i said it AT THE TIME I hadnt seen Pike at any matches, and had only talked to Steve at the rules clinic in which he said he wasnt sure if they would have a team this year or wait until next. But if they didnt he would probably still take Cody around to keep him wrestling.

As far as jealous or worried,Ive been gone from the program and living/working out of state for the last 3-4 years and just moved back. It is no longer my team. I will say that I think Perry football losing Cody was probably more of a hurt than Perry wrestling. Kids a beast, and from what i hear he had a great year at Pike this year.

BTW, in my 4-5 years coaching there it was very rare for me to have more than 6 wrestlers left at the end of a season. So to me ive never really thought of a wrestling team as a whole. Id rather have 6 tough kids that wanna be there and win, than 20 kids you have to beg to come to practice and baby so they wont quit. So yes in wrestling if I took one kid around all year, id still consider it my team.

You hit the nail right on the head.