Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 10 College Football Rivalries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Ohio State vs Michigan
Series Record: Michigan leads 57-41-6.
Award: Ohio State players get a gold charm in the shape of a pair of pants if they win. No rivalry has a better combination of history and championship implications than Michigan vs Ohio State. Since 1913, the two teams have combined for all or part of 70 Big Ten titles and the have finished 1-2 in the standings 15 times since 1968.

2. Alabama vs Auburn
Series Record: Alabama leads 38-33-1
Trophy: Omicron Delta Kappa-James E. Foy V Sportsmanship Trophy
This college football rivalry is number one as the fire, passion and hate between the two schools is unlike any other. This game literally stops a state. The teams didn't play from 1907 to 1948 because after the 1907 game, they couldn’t decide which referees to use. The trophy for this game isn't as important as the ownership of the state that comes with a win.

3. Oklahoma vs Texas
Series Record: Texas leads 58-40-5.
Trophy: The Golden Hat
Known as: "The Red River Shootout". The winning team's state is supposed to get ownership of the Red River for one year until the next game. It's one the few rivalries that are played on a neutral field. These two teams play in Dallas, Texas which is is exactly halfway between the two schools, Austin, Texas, and Norman, Oklahoma.

4. Army vs Navy
Series Record: Navy Leads 52-49-7
Award: Gold cloth stars to put on their letter sweaters for victories
Notes: This game probably has more history and tradition than any other rivalry in the country. This game is also part of the Commander-In-Chief trophy(Army, Navy, & Air Force)

5. USC vs Notre Dame
Series Record: Notre Dame leads 42-32-5
Trophy: The Jeweled Shillelagh
The winner of this game has gone on to win the national title 19 times, plus these two schools have produced 11 Heisman winners.

6. Florida vs Georgia
Series Record: Georgia leads the series, 46-37-2.
Known as: "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"
Georgia may hold the series lead, but Florida has had Georgia's number since 1992. This rivalry is one of only a few that is played on a neutral site, Jacksonville, FL.

7. Florida State vs Miami
Series Record: Miami leads 30-23
Since the 1987, Florida State has lost out on playing for the national championship five times because of losses to Miami. The two teams have met 13 times in the last 18 years when both were ranked in the top ten. Since 1983, these two teams have combined for more national titles than any other two rivals in the country.

8. Texas vs Texas A&M
Series Record: Texas leads the series, 70-34-5.
This was voted the top college football rivalry in a USA Today online poll.

9. Nebraska vs Oklahoma
Oklahoma leads the series, 42-37-3.
The 1971 game was considered by many, the greatest college football game of all-time. 19 times during this series, one of these two teams have been rated #1.

10. Lafayette vs Lehigh
Series Record: Lafayette leads 76-62-5
Known as: "The Game"
This is the most-played rivalry in college football history.
How about the oldest one East of the Mississippi River?

Clemson v/s South Carolina

Series started in 1896

Clemson leads, 65-37-4

Its a State Law in South Carolina that the 2 have to play football against one another every year.
Okay, get ready to bash me now. But I think the Ohio State and Michigan game is the most OVERRATED game in college football EVERY YEAR. With the exception of a decent game every five or six years, its also among the most boring games of the year. Its not that close, its never that exciting, and its no more fun than watching a UK and Vandy game year in and year out. Mich State and Ohio State, to me anyways, isnt among the top 10 rivalries in college football in terms of excitement. Give me the Iron Bowl. Give me Army-Navy. Give me Texas-Oklahoma, Harvard-Yale, Florida-Georgia, Nebraska-Oklahoma, Florida State-Florida, Bama-tennessee..all MUCH MUCH more exciting games year in and year out..I could name several more, but Ill get to that later, lol..
I respect both of those teams very much. Ive always liked Clemson and SC both, but to me, its just not close enough to be considered a top 10 rivalry game. Clemson, for the most part owns SC..
FF40212 Wrote:How about the oldest one East of the Mississippi River?

Clemson v/s South Carolina

Series started in 1896

Clemson leads, 65-37-4

Its a State Law in South Carolina that the 2 have to play football against one another every year.
It doesn't get any better than an Army/Navy game. A lot of people don't watch this match-up because neither team is ranked high and their other games aren't usually televised. But if you haven't ever watched an Army/Navy game, you are missing out.
I absolutely agree..the post game singing of each teams fight song is the most touching thing in sports. Amazing..and unparalleled in all of sports.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:It doesn't get any better than an Army/Navy game. A lot of people don't watch this match-up because neither team is ranked high and their other games aren't usually televised. But if you haven't ever watched an Army/Navy game, you are missing out.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:It doesn't get any better than an Army/Navy game. A lot of people don't watch this match-up because neither team is ranked high and their other games aren't usually televised. But if you haven't ever watched an Army/Navy game, you are missing out.

TidesHoss32 Wrote:I absolutely agree..the post game singing of each teams fight song is the most touching thing in sports. Amazing..and unparalleled in all of sports.

I totally agree guys, I absolutely love watching this game!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I respect both of those teams very much. Ive always liked Clemson and SC both, but to me, its just not close enough to be considered a top 10 rivalry game. Clemson, for the most part owns SC..

I love the way you said that. Any chance you could say it one more time? ha ha ha ha

I think to a certain extent it may be a "regional" rivalry where a lot of the ones you mentioned were more prominent. I would concede that anyways. Just don't know about Lehigh and Lafayette? Who is that? And how relevant has Nebraska and Oklahoma's game been in recent years? Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech are the big dogs in that conference nowadays.