Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best College Basketball Teams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if there has been a thread on this but let's hear your opinions on some of the best college basketball teams of all time...I know what most will say so I will say it first...96 Cats
Agreed
Kentucky 78 & 96
UCLA had some that went undefeated
Indiana in 76
David Thompson's was on a great team in the mid 70's @ NC State
Arkansas 9?
North Carolina 82? Jordan,Perkins
Tin Cup Wrote:Kentucky 78 & 96
UCLA had some that went undefeated
Indiana in 76
David Thompson's was on a great team in the mid 70's @ NC State
Arkansas 9?
North Carolina 82? Jordan,Perkins

That would be the '94 Arkansas team that won the title.

But, you are correct about North Carolina, '82 champs.
Unbiasly I think the '96 team was the best of all-time.

Both UNC & Georgetown had some of the better teams in the early 80s.
Top 10 College Basketball Teams

1. 1968 UCLA Bruins (29-1)
Lew Alcindors best team. In the middle of the season, UCLA played with an injured Alcindor and lost to Houston and Elvin Hayes. but then destroyed the Cougars 101-69 in the tournment.

2. 1976 Indiana Hoosiers (32-0)
Over the two seasons that culminated in their 1976 national championship, the Hoosiers went 63-1.

3. 1972 UCLA Bruins (30-0)
The Walton led Bruins won by an average margin of 32 points per game. From 1972-74, Bill Walton led UCLA to an 86-4 record and two national titles.

4. 1996 Kentucky Wildcats (34-2)
This Kentucky Team had 5 first-round picks and one second round. The team included Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Derek Anderson and Ron Mercer.

5. 1974 NC State Wolfpack (30-1)
The Wolfpack's only loss came to UCLA in the regular season but beat them in the tourney. Players included David Thompson, Monty Towe and Tom Burleson.

6. 1957 North Carolina Tar Heels (32-0)
The Tar Heels capped their undefeated season by beating Kansas and Wilt Chamberlain to win the National Championship.

7. 1956 San Francisco Dons (29-0)
Won 55 straight games with players that included Bill Russell, Hal Perry, and K.C. Jones.

8. 1992 Duke Blue Devils (34-2)
The Blue Devils won their second straight NCAA title in 1992. This team was ranked No. 1 the entire season and included Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, and Grant Hill.

9. 1982 UNC Tar Heels (32-2)
How did they lose two games with James Worthy. Michael Jordan and Sam Perkins.

10. 1954 Kentucky (25-0)
This team did not win the national title. Kentucky declined the offer to play in the NCAA Tournament. Adolph Rupp was quoted with, "We're not going because I'm not going to take a bunch of turds like you to the NCAA".

http://www.americasbestonline.com/Cbasketballteams.htm
IMO, heres my list...from teams Ive watched or read about...
1996 UK team that went 34-2 was seriously like watching a pro team play JUCO teams.
1991 UNLV team that went 34-1 I believe. Was upset by Duke in the Final 4.
1994 Arkansas team that went 31-3. Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman, Corey Beck. They had it all. Size, speed, shooters..great all around team.
1976 Indiana team that went 32-0.
1992 Duke team that went 34-2, but went to the Final 4 by the skin of their teeth. Some Laettner guy hit a big shot.
1957 NC Tarheels 32-0, beat Wilt in 3 OTs in the NC game..
1972 UCLA 30-0 Walton was arguably the most dominant college player in history.
1974 NC State 30-1 David Thompson could JUMP. Had a great supporting cast with Tom Burleson and Monte Towe.
1978 UK team that went 32-2. Goose Givens, Kyle Macy, Rick Robey, James Lee. Senior laden team beat Duke in a classic behind Goose's 41 in the NC game.
1986 Duke team that went 37-3 behind Johnny Dawkins, Jay Bilas, Tommy Amaker and Mark Alarie, was beaten by Louisville in the NC game.
1968 UCLA team that went 29-1 behind Lew Alcinder. Like all UCLA teams of that era, dominated. Avenged a 69-68 loss to Houston (in a game where Alcinder was sick with the flu) by destroying them in the tourney.
1948 UK team that went 36-3. Team also won the Olympic games if Im not mistaken.
1982 UNC team 32-2. Jordan. Worthy. Perkins..beat G-town in the NC game when some Jordan kid hit a 15 footer with a few seconds remaining.
1992 Duke Blue Devils (34-2)
The Blue Devils won their second straight NCAA title in 1992. This team was ranked No. 1 the entire season and included Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, and Grant Hill. ... and the 2001 team with Shane Battier winning the championship
Did you, by any chance, ever get to watch the '86 Duke team?? Im no Duke fan, but that team was outstanding. They had it all, and IMO, were as good or better than the '92 Duke team..
DukeFan4life Wrote:1992 Duke Blue Devils (34-2)
The Blue Devils won their second straight NCAA title in 1992. This team was ranked No. 1 the entire season and included Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, and Grant Hill. ... and the 2001 team with Shane Battier winning the championship
TidesHoss32 Wrote:IMO, heres my list...from teams Ive watched or read about...
1996 UK team that went 34-2 was seriously like watching a pro team play JUCO teams.
1991 UNLV team that went 34-1 I believe. Was upset by Duke in the Final 4.
1994 Arkansas team that went 31-3. Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman, Corey Beck. They had it all. Size, speed, shooters..great all around team.
1976 Indiana team that went 32-0.
1992 Duke team that went 34-2, but went to the Final 4 by the skin of their teeth. Some Laettner guy hit a big shot.
1957 NC Tarheels 32-0, beat Wilt in 3 OTs in the NC game..
1972 UCLA 30-0 Walton was arguably the most dominant college player in history.
1974 NC State 30-1 David Thompson could JUMP. Had a great supporting cast with Tom Burleson and Monte Towe.
1978 UK team that went 32-2. Goose Givens, Kyle Macy, Rick Robey, James Lee. Senior laden team beat Duke in a classic behind Goose's 41 in the NC game.
1986 Duke team that went 37-3 behind Johnny Dawkins, Jay Bilas, Tommy Amaker and Mark Alarie, was beaten by Louisville in the NC game.
1968 UCLA team that went 29-1 behind Lew Alcinder. Like all UCLA teams of that era, dominated. Avenged a 69-68 loss to Houston (in a game where Alcinder was sick with the flu) by destroying them in the tourney.
1948 UK team that went 36-3. Team also won the Olympic games if Im not mistaken.
1982 UNC team 32-2. Jordan. Worthy. Perkins..beat G-town in the NC game when some Jordan kid hit a 15 footer with a few seconds remaining.
I think I agree with that entire list. I don't think that Arkansas should be up that high though and I knew they would be on your list, lol!
Ah, other than the '96 Cats and the '91 UNLV team, its a crap shoot after those two teams..
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I think I agree with that entire list. I don't think that Arkansas should be up that high though and I knew they would be on your list, lol!
what about indiana st? larry bird's team until they beat in the championship.
It is hard to rank teams with all of the changes in the game and rules over the years. Going decade by decade I would have:

1960's- 68' UCLA
1970's- 76' Indiana
1980's- 82' UNC
1990's- 96' UK
2000's- 05' UNC

A lot of great teams over the years; UNLV championship and final four team in the 90's, Duke teams of the that same decade, Georgetown went to three final fours in four years in the 80's and great Louisville and UCLA teams over the years too. This is just my list, hard to go wrong with any of these teams though.
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:It is hard to rank teams with all of the changes in the game and rules over the years. Going decade by decade I would have:

1960's- 68' UCLA
1970's- 76' Indiana
1980's- 82' UNC
1990's- 96' UK
2000's- 05' UNC

A lot of great teams over the years; UNLV championship and final four team in the 90's, Duke teams of the that same decade, Georgetown went to three final fours in four years in the 80's and great Louisville and UCLA teams over the years too. This is just my list, hard to go wrong with any of these teams though.

I honestly think the 2009 UNC team was better than the 2005.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I honestly think the 2009 UNC team was better than the 2005.

Possible. But this is just my list, others may think differently and may not be wrong but may not be right, no way of proving it either way.

:Clap:
beasy_bo Wrote:what about indiana st? larry bird's team until they beat in the championship.

Weak conference and schedule...Bird was great!
Tin Cup Wrote:Weak conference and schedule...Bird was great!

100% correct. Michigan State was deeper and played in a much better conference. The year before a very deep UK team put Magic and the Spartans out of the tournament, if my fading memory serves me correctly.
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:Possible. But this is just my list, others may think differently and may not be wrong but may not be right, no way of proving it either way.

:Clap:

The 05 team was a very good one...They actually won me 50 dollars.
If they had won me fifty bucks they would be my favorite between the two as well, lol.

:1: