Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Two-a days: Who does it, who doesn't?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which football programs are doing two-a days? I hear some programs no longer use them while others swear by them. Let's hear what area programs are doing.
My senior year at PCC we had to stay at our fieldhouse for a week and practice 3 times a day..idk if they still do it
I know a lot of NKY programs have done away with doing the two a days and just do one long practice now because of the heat.

I'm pretty sure both Conner and Holmes do this. They devote 1 1/2 hrs to offense, 1 1/2 hours to defense, then the other hour is usually spent on indy, drills, and special teams. Practice usually lasts for 4 hours.

I personally like that...get in early, get out early.

Highlands on the other hand, as far as I can remember, usually practices from 7 in the morning til 11am and then come back from 6pm to 10 pm.
Campbell County will begin next week.
Corbin does 2 a days. 8 am practice until noon come back at 4 and practice until 9 pm.
Dunno when they are going to do it at LCC, but it will be soon.
Phelps does them
Perry Central is going 8-10, then 12-2. So they are doing it.
JMEWLS Wrote:Perry Central is going 8-10, then 12-2. So they are doing it.

They might as well just do a 4 hour practice.
Lewis County will start next week. 8-10 and then from 12-2
Union County is Practice from 8am- 6pm. 10hours a day.
Highlands begins Aug. 3. 7a.m til noon. 6pm til 9pm.
Just don't see the purpose of practicing for 8-10 consecutive hours or 2 5hr sessions. Practicing that long might seem like a good thing, but players get overloaded with all the information and begin to shut off. I think that you can get as much accomplished in 2 2hr sessions along with video, weights and covering schemes in between practices. I know when in college we'd do 2 practices for 1 1/2hrs one day then 1 2hr practice the next...plus had the weights and position meetings during the day between sessions. Much more beneficial IMO.
IRISH4 Wrote:Just don't see the purpose of practicing for 8-10 consecutive hours or 2 5hr sessions. Practicing that long might seem like a good thing, but players get overloaded with all the information and begin to shut off. I think that you can get as much accomplished in 2 2hr sessions along with video, weights and covering schemes in between practices. I know when in college we'd do 2 practices for 1 1/2hrs one day then 1 2hr practice the next...plus had the weights and position meetings during the day between sessions. Much more beneficial IMO.

What do you think of a school keeping the players for a full week, and having 2 a days along with the kids sleeping in the locker rooms? I've been told this is what Valley will be doing soon.
PC_You_Know Wrote:What do you think of a school keeping the players for a full week, and having 2 a days along with the kids sleeping in the locker rooms? I've been told this is what Valley will be doing soon.

This is being discussed at Corbin. It will take the place of their usual football camp and save money. I agree long practices are counterproductive, the kids shut down and any valuable learning ceases. It also discourages potential players from coming out for football . . . they do not want to live at the field all summer long.
PC_You_Know Wrote:What do you think of a school keeping the players for a full week, and having 2 a days along with the kids sleeping in the locker rooms? I've been told this is what Valley will be doing soon.

I don't see a problem with that as long as they are provided the same resources they would be with at a camp. I know a lot of schools cannot afford to take the players to camp for 4-5 days due to the current state of economy, but this would be a great substitute. The players will still be away from everything focusing strictly on football and would also develop the unity that they would if they went off somewhere.
Breathitt has a two a day today, its from 9 to 12 then from 1 to 4. Then they have a week called H*ll week where they have nothing but two a days.
AC is splitting their practice up. Backs/receivers one day, line men the next (mornings only from 9-11:30)and everyone goes at night (7-10). Some players are chosing to practice every morning regardless of position though.
If not mistake, You can only go 1 day with a 2 a-day practice in pads. You can practice all you want but only with helmet or shells.

If I am wrong, feel free to correct.
belfry is doing 2 adays started friday, one day start at 6am until around 3 come back at 6pm next day around 8am until around 11am coe back at 6until around 9pm
I know a couple schools here in South Central KY are going from about 5-10 in the evening.

First session from 5-6:30/7:00. Take a break until 8, and then back out until 10, under the lights on their practice field. Their practice fields are beside the basball field, and the lights are are both sides of the poles.
I love two-a days
cuppett777 Wrote:belfry is doing 2 adays started friday, one day start at 6am until around 3 come back at 6pm next day around 8am until around 11am coe back at 6until around 9pm

Not had any 6:00 a.m. Thank God..
Some people listed times where added up is 8 hours a day of football... That is just way to much on a high school kid!
BMSPirateMom #11 Wrote:Not had any 6:00 a.m. Thank God..

sorry ex told me wrong,lol,8am
Jackson County is doing 2 a days ,very impressed with new coach Arthur Carter