Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hatfield-McCoy Bowl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Last time Kentucky won was my senior year and we had around 400 yards in penalties. It's the same story about every year, KY gets the short end of a lot of calls. Hopefully this year will be different. Best of luck to the kids from both states.
I see Jesse Peck, Phelps High School Head Coach will be the coach for the Kentucky side while John Frye, assistant coach at Matewan High School will coach the WV All-Stars. Anyone got a roster?
who from belfry is playing in it?
From my understanding they have a time getting KY boys to play due to the fact of the way things are done every year.

This has went downhill the past few years. I can remember back in the day when it was the Kiwanis Bowl and it was something fun to watch! WV goes WAY upstate to get their players YET, KY doesn't or isn't allowed to get the kids from the Lexington/Louisville area to participate. IMHO, if they did it right and went back to the "old school" way, it would again be a good game.....
phs1986 Wrote:From my understanding they have a time getting KY boys to play due to the fact of the way things are done every year.

This has went downhill the past few years. I can remember back in the day when it was the Kiwanis Bowl and it was something fun to watch! WV goes WAY upstate to get their players YET, KY doesn't or isn't allowed to get the kids from the Lexington/Louisville area to participate. IMHO, if they did it right and went back to the "old school" way, it would again be a good game.....

These are kid's already graduated so I don't know why anything wouldn't be allowed as far as where they come from in Kentucky...Sure don't see why they wouldnt play either..Last chance for most of these kids to ever strap it on..
I am a little stunned that Kentucky would allow this game to keep being played being things are as bad as they are when it comes to the way things are being ran.

I hope my friend sends me a copy of this one like he usually does.

I have been able to see first hand how W.VA cheats in this one.
Taking in cosideration the way things are with the bad calls, etc. i.m.h. Ky. needs to pull out & possibly start it's own bowl in this part of the state.I know we've got the Pike Co. Bowl here and its been very successful up to this point.Maybe an East/West type situation, or Southeast Allstars vrs. East Allstars? We've certainly got the facilities and accomodations now throughout this end of the State. Just a thought.
I hope someone steals this idea from me.
Quit the Hatfield McCoy bowl and start one that is the teams in the 14th region vs the teams in the 15th region. The game could be alternated between Johnson Central, Belfry, Pikeville, and Shelby Valley in the 15th and between Hazard, Breathitt, and Letcher in the 14th. Do some scholarships and split the gate evenly between participating schools.
15th region teams:
Pikeville
Paintsville
Prestonsburg
Belfry
Sheldon Clark
Pike Central
Phelps
Allen Central
Betsy Layne
South Floyd
Shelby Valley
East Ridge
Johnson Central
Magoffin
Lawrence

14th region teams:
Hazard
Perry Central
Letcher Central
Estill
Knott Central
Powell County
Breathitt Co
Jenkins
Leslie Co
Hammertime, I like your thoughts on this one. This could be a great thing in eastern Kentucky.
hammertime Wrote:I hope someone steals this idea from me.
Quit the Hatfield McCoy bowl and start one that is the teams in the 14th region vs the teams in the 15th region. The game could be alternated between Johnson Central, Belfry, Pikeville, and Shelby Valley in the 15th and between Hazard, Breathitt, and Letcher in the 14th. Do some scholarships and split the gate evenly between participating schools.
15th region teams:
Pikeville
Paintsville
Prestonsburg
Belfry
Sheldon Clark
Pike Central
Phelps
Allen Central
Betsy Layne
South Floyd
Shelby Valley
East Ridge
Johnson Central
Magoffin
Lawrence

14th region teams:
Hazard
Perry Central
Letcher Central
Estill
Knott Central
Powell County
Breathitt Co
Jenkins
Leslie Co

sounds good
You know a good corporate sponsor (or two) and a good leader is all that this thing needs. Get a committee started and get the ball rolling. We could see this years Seniors (class of 2010) as the inaugral class for this.
This is the kind of thing i wanted to say Hammertime. You put it into words! Great post!!:Thumbs:
What ever happend too the KY all-stars and the Tenn. all-stars game? do they still do that?
Real Badman Wrote:What ever happend too the KY all-stars and the Tenn. all-stars game? do they still do that?

Yeah, Kentucky come from behind and defeated Tennessee at the University of the Cumberland's.
A Ky-Va all star game might be better then the Ky-WVa game. IMO...
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Yeah, Kentucky come from behind and defeated Tennessee at the University of the Cumberland's.

This isn't the same as the KY/TN games that used to be played at Neyland and Commonwealth Satdiums. The new KY/TN game consists of teams from Central and Eastern parts of the state, so this will exclude the players from the Louisville, Paducha, Mayfield, etc. areas.
IRISH4 Wrote:This isn't the same as the KY/TN games that used to be played at Neyland and Commonwealth Satdiums. The new KY/TN game consists of teams from Central and Eastern parts of the state, so this will exclude the players from the Louisville, Paducha, Mayfield, etc. areas.

From what i hear this is correct. A Ky. & Va. Allstar series dont sound bad either.But getting back to the original topic, if these things are going on & the Wv. officials are not going to address it, then something needs to be cosidered. i.m.o.
This game has honestly become a mockery of the sport of football. I know a lot of the boys are under scholarship and their respective coaches prefer them not participate but there is so much talent within the area they are alloted to get players from, KY should still be able to crack the whip on WV. The calls at these games are ungodly and it's the same thing year in and year out. I guess they are tired of it being held at Matewan and WV gettin all the advantages. Who knows but I'll go to support Jesse and the boys he will be coaching.
Does anyone have a roster? I always thought there were a Senior Bowl kinda thing where the best seniors of the year past from around Eastern Kentucky played in an all star game of just kids in Eastern Kentucky on both sides.
phs1986 Wrote:This game has honestly become a mockery of the sport of football. I know a lot of the boys are under scholarship and their respective coaches prefer them not participate but there is so much talent within the area they are alloted to get players from, KY should still be able to crack the whip on WV. The calls at these games are ungodly and it's the same thing year in and year out. I guess they are tired of it being held at Matewan and WV gettin all the advantages. Who knows but I'll go to support Jesse and the boys he will be coaching.

Your right. It's a mockery & many people has seen it.
I have been involved with this game for a few years know and WV never goes beyond Boone Co WV and Wayne Co WV to get players. How can you say the game has gone down hill? How are things done?? Have you ever helped in any way with this game? Other than KY having few players last year. One of the reasons kids from KY didn't play was because Butch Joplin has coached the last few games and always got his team beat. Ky has had the better talent and players the last few years but in my opion was just out coached. Maybe Coach Peck can change it this year. Good luck to both teams and play safe.

phs1986 Wrote:From my understanding they have a time getting KY boys to play due to the fact of the way things are done every year.

Explain to me how it is a mockery?? I have watched this game since it began at MHS and it has always had been a good game and always a good crowd. As for the calls they try and rotate refs each year between wv and ky refs. So some of the ungodly calls you are talking about was from a ky ref.

phs1986 Wrote:This game has honestly become a mockery of the sport of football. I know a lot of the boys are under scholarship and their respective coaches prefer them not participate but there is so much talent within the area they are alloted to get players from, KY should still be able to crack the whip on WV. The calls at these games are ungodly and it's the same thing year in and year out. I guess they are tired of it being held at Matewan and WV gettin all the advantages. Who knows but I'll go to support Jesse and the boys he will be coaching.
It is 8/1/2009. Sat night.

VHSL-helper Wrote:will be Sat., 8/2 @ 8:00.

http://www.loganbanner.com/pages/full_st...eft_column
ib4mtigers Wrote:I have been involved with this game for a few years know and WV never goes beyond Boone Co WV and Wayne Co WV to get players. How can you say the game has gone down hill? How are things done?? Have you ever helped in any way with this game? Other than KY having few players last year. One of the reasons kids from KY didn't play was because Butch Joplin has coached the last few games and always got his team beat. Ky has had the better talent and players the last few years but in my opion was just out coached. Maybe Coach Peck can change it this year. Good luck to both teams and play safe.

How about the year that Melvin Cunningham's family member, that was on the previous years roster at Huntington HS, was listed for the KY-WV game as being from a high school within the area that WV is allowed to get players from. I, along with many from the Pond Creek area, have never attended since the game has been relocated at Matewan.
Probably because his brother attended Matewan his whole life until his last couple years of school when he moved to Huntington to live with his siter. 1 kid in 13-14 years is not bad. And we don't really care if you ever attend. With or with out you it will go on.:thatsfunn

throw deep Wrote:How about the year that Melvin Cunningham's family member, that was on the previous years roster at Huntington HS, was listed for the KY-WV game as being from a high school within the area that WV is allowed to get players from. I, along with many from the Pond Creek area, have never attended since the game has been relocated at Matewan.
First off, I personally think Butch Joplin is an excellent man, excellent coach, and one heck of a person. If you have a problem with him, you need to take that up with him. As far as the bowl game, it is NOT done right due to the fact that so many of the kids know how it is done. You can uphold, condone, praise the bowl game all you wish to but IMHO, I look for it to last 5 more years tops.... Something different needs to be done.... Sorry but that's just the way I feel!!!
PHS1986 I agree with your earlier post,this game is nothing like it was when it was the Kiwanis Bowl.Things do change but I think it should be moved to Belfry,they have a much nicer facility for what should be a better game than what it has become,also easier highway access.It doesn't have the same hype or flair that it used to.I've been 1 time since I moved back and that was enough for me.
Back in the day it when it was the K-bowl, heck everyone and I mean everyone enjoyed going, participating, and waitin on the game night to get here!!! I do think the last one I watched was held beside Williamson Field House @ their football field. This had to be in the late 80's. LOL....
phs1986 Wrote:Back in the day it when it was the K-bowl, heck everyone and I mean everyone enjoyed going, participating, and waitin on the game night to get here!!! I do think the last one I watched was held beside Williamson Field House @ their football field. This had to be in the late 80's. LOL....

I think your right @ their Field House, late 80's. My (last) one is last year.
Pages: 1 2 3